Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note to everybody that Superchips have finally launched the bluefin for these models:

Audi A5: 1.8 TSI - 160 PS, 2.0 TSI - 180/211 PS
Audi A5: 2.0 TDI CR - 170 PS, 2.7 TDI - 190 PS, 3.0 TDI - 240 PS

I have already bought mine, and I'm going to do tests shortly. I had a bluefin on my old Audi A3 2.0 TDI 140ps and it was one hell of an upgrade.

The upgrade will give me 177bhp -> 237bhp and 320nm -> 400nm :)

More details here: http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/

·
Registered
636 Posts
It would be interesting to hear your opinion of the performance gains.

I was put off the ABT options as, although they promised gains of 50bhp, the figures showed that there would only be a 0.4 second gain in the 0-60 time. Which hardly seems worth the trouble.

I'd be interested in the results of your tests. The Bluefin product appears to be a good option and, assuming the results are half decent, I'd probably give it a go.

Cheers

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am sooooo tempted to get one. I presume you can turn it on and off when you want?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I am sooooo tempted to get one. I presume you can turn it on and off when you want?
From what I can gather, yes.

I think the idea is that device contains the coding for the factory mapping and also for an upgraded mapping. You can then simply plug it in and choose which map to download to the ECU?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ey!, that's really good...

That's very similar to V-tech RTS and Revo "select", but doing it yourself and at home.

And the price is really good.
I'm going to ask them for my car because V-tech still haven't the RTS completely functional with the cleaning ECU counter software running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm going to ask them for my car because V-tech still haven't the RTS completely functional with the cleaning ECU counter software running.
I've already asked them: Superchip's "bluefin" is not able to clean the ECU counter - but they are working on a solution.

Nevertheless, changing between factory software and power-tune seems to be a good option to the other tuning-methods (boxes and "static" chiptuning)...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Why does being able to reset the ECU counter to 0 make any difference? It's a genuine question, I'd like to know why this makes the remap more appealing?

·
Registered
120 Posts
MJepson - well spotted! :thumbsup:

I've been holding off going for a switchable remap until I could see the results of BSR's PPC system - but if Bluefin are first - then it looks like the way forward.

Take it you also ran out of patience with the Koch tuning module?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey guys!

First to answer @billythefish's question on the flash counter or ECU counter... This is increased when you upload your bluefin map, which makes it detectable by Audi if you take it in to the workshop. They can't see you have bluefin installed, but they can see that you have programmed the ecu, which could get you into trouble if you have something that needs to be fixed on guarantee. Depends how nosy they get.

I ordered the bluefin on Wednesday morning, and had it installed around 3pm on Thursday thanks to the DHL International shipping.

The power gains are as expected... really noticable and quite a lot faster than stock engine. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap and DIY upgrade! I also had a bluefin on my old A3 2.0 TDI, and it was like night and day on that, so didn't hesitate to order it when it became available for my A5.

I'm still disappointed in the 2.0 tfsi engine though... I thought it would behave much like a diesel engine because of it's high torque, but if I was to order a new car again, I would deffo go for the 2.0, 2.7 or even the 3.0 TDI even though that is about $250k more expensive. Having the power between 2-3000k is much more suitable to the normal day driving, and it is sooo much more economical to have 0.7 l/100km than 0.95 l/100km like I have in the TFSI.

But the bluefin is well worth the money and makes the TFSI a real racer... 2nd and 3rd gear is brutal when it passes 3000rpm :) I would think that the car could be between 6.5-7seconds on 0-100kmh now, as that is what the 211ps model is. I tested it on the beginning of a freeway to a bridge, and before I had 140km/h when I passed the bridge, and now I had about 155kmh to the same point, so a big increase.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Thanks for the info mjepson, now I understand why it's best to have an upgrade that resets the counter! :thumbsup: Any idea on when the bluefin one will be able to offer this???

Anyone know whether the APS or Sanspeed remaps reset the counter too....??

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
will be interested if anyone bites the bullet and gets one for the 3.0tdi! hopefully get some reports

·
Registered
72 Posts
@mjepson, did you ever receive a response with regards to the ECU cleaning from Bluefin? Also did you ever notice any issues with stability / traction? Such a large amount of power through the front wheels alone seems rather dangerous!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bluefin

Just got my map back from Superchips and have flashed the car today. I know every cliche out there has probably been used with regards remapping, but honestly, the step up on the 180ps engine is formidable

The 180ps lump is so obviously a map limited 211ps engine, and as a result on the OEM map it was almost as if the factory had flattened the response. Not a slow car, but not particulaly one you wanted to rev.

The superchips map is almost more like what a facory map should be. Smoother, more tractable at low revs and once above 3k rpm - it seeks for the redline with an surprising urgency. Given the gearing is long on these cars, 60mph comes and goes whilst the car has plenty left in second. On to the motorway & getting to 3 figures is effortless.

The map claims the gains will take the bhp to circa 250 and torque up to 390nm. 70 bhp & 70 nm gains over factory.

I also feel that the 12 months 30k warranty that S/C offer should be a nice buffer until they have the technology to reset the flash counter.

Highly recommended, and once I stop ragging about, I'll see what fuel economy improvements are there - afterall that is why I had the map done in the first place! :laughinatabove:

·
Registered
72 Posts
@ianmc - Fantastic testimonial, i think in addition to what i have already read, your review is enough to convince me to get this done as soon as my A5 arrives. Couple of quick questions though, I have had a look on the superchips website and the bluefin website:

http://www.superchips.co.uk/
http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/

Both claim the same increases in performance in terms of bhp and torque. Which did you go for and why? I am concerned about servicing re-setting the ecu and think that for this reason bluefin would be more practical as i can re-flash myself. Also, the warranty is a relief if for example Audi realise the ecu has been flashed and refuses to fix any issues under warranty.

What about insurance?? Did you notify yours?? I didnt notify my last insurer that i had tinted all my windows (which can increase premiums by 20%) and after writing my vehicle off i had no problems claiming. Not exactly the same i know but just curious...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
bmflex - Are you saying that the Bluefin device DOES reset the ECU counter to 0?? I was under the impression that it doesn't currently but they're working on it?

With regards to your insurance question, personally I think you're absolutely mad if you don't inform them. My insurance is going to go up by £100 a year once I've chosen which route to go down and for that price I reckon it's a bargain. God forbid, but if you ever had a serious accident and they had a massive payout they'd be looking at EVERYTHING to get out of paying it! If you can afford the remap you can afford the insurance I reckon! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
702 Posts
bmflex - Are you saying that the Bluefin device DOES reset the ECU counter to 0?? I was under the impression that it doesn't currently but they're working on it?

With regards to your insurance question, personally I think you're absolutely mad if you don't inform them. My insurance is going to go up by £100 a year once I've chosen which route to go down and for that price I reckon it's a bargain. God forbid, but if you ever had a serious accident and they had a massive payout they'd be looking at EVERYTHING to get out of paying it! If you can afford the remap you can afford the insurance I reckon! :thumbsup:
Billy - who are you insured with? You're right - £100 is a no-brainer to be totally covered. Bluefin does look tempting at £435 if it's as good as it says on the tin....

·
Registered
72 Posts
@Billythefish - Apologies for the ambiguity here. You are correct; no current mod resets the ECU counter, i was refering to when you take your A5 in for a service, some users have stated that if a ECU upgrade is applied then this will obviously over-write the flashed ECU. Therefore if this happens, it would be easier to get the bluefin and re-apply yourself, instead of having to take it back to superchips.

With regards to the insurance, the cheapest quote i have received so far is ~£1700 (25yrs old, had license for coming up to 3 yrs, and just wrote off my merc meaning loss of all current no claims) of which the potential increase in premium i imagine will be rather steep for tints and a chip. I guess i you are right with regards to a payout, i will get a quote and have to bite the bullet.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
TJM_A5 - I'm with a broker called Express Insurance, they're superb for mods!

bmflex - Sorry mate, by the way I read your post I thought you were saying that Bluefin could reset the ECU counter back to 0! Yeah I know what you mean, the Bluefin def has some advantages over the Superchips and other remaps out there.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts