Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got any AMI/MMI integration experiences of either the new Nokia E71 and/or Blackberry Bold?

I'm due a phone refresh in February and have two questions:

1. Is possible to sync contacts via bluetooth to the MMI system on both the BB Bold and Nokia E71

2. Is it possible to connect either of these devices to the Audi Music Interface cable and select tracks etc via the MMI controller/screen.

I've been using a iPhone 2G and this is perfect for both of these functions, however, it is sadly lacking on corporate email/calendaring features... hence the desire to switch.

Any feedback gratefully received.

·
Registered
132 Posts
E71

Justgot an E71 (nice !) and it connects in the way as the previous E61 ie sim contacts, signal strength and provider.
I will try it later plugged into the AMI and let you know if the juke box function works

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bold

Hi

Bold works like a charm - my only wish was that it didnt create an additional entry in the MMI name directory for navigation (in addition to the named entry). Not a big deal though.

The voice is strong and very clear. This is my first bluetooth integration and i'm frankly impressed it works so easily and well.

I would suggest cleaning up your contacts on the Bold as everything is of course displyed.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Justgot an E71 (nice !) and it connects in the way as the previous E61 ie sim contacts, signal strength and provider.
I will try it later plugged into the AMI and let you know if the juke box function works
Hi Passing - be interested to know what you did to get your E71 to sync with the MMI. I've had one for a while now but when paring for new device it doesn't find the Audi bluetooth kit. So can't connect it at all. Could you tell me what you did to hook into the MMI system. Had an iphone before this that worked fine.

Cheers,
Loony.

·
Registered
132 Posts
E71 media player

Works fine as a media player using the Nokia USB lead - the phone recognises the car and you get several options and so choose mass storage and away you go.

Made me wonder if it might then be able to play streaming radio off the internet (to compensate for the poor radio reception) where there is a 3G signal. For that matter it is supposed to be able to stream TV ......
Some experiementation required and as I don't have a 3G signal at home

·
Registered
132 Posts
E71

Hi Passing - be interested to know what you did to get your E71 to sync with the MMI. I've had one for a while now but when paring for new device it doesn't find the Audi bluetooth kit. So can't connect it at all. Could you tell me what you did to hook into the MMI system. Had an iphone before this that worked fine.

Cheers,
Loony.
I found with the E61 and the E71 it worked only as a handfree setup if you look for the car from the phone. Look for the phone with the car (delete your old pairing first in car and phone) and you get the full (!) function.
It still does not read the phone contacts though - only the sim and so I copied a selection to the sim for use in the car.
Unfortunately while it is in remote sim mode the phone is disabled for emails and dialing for other contacts.
Good luck and let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply P-ing, I got that advice via email from the dealer and have tried several times to get the phone to pick up the car but hasn't yet worked. Picked up a whole bunch of phones and people around me but no Audi bluetooth system. Must be something I am doing wrong if yours has hooked up ok - will go past the dealer sometime and see if they can work it out.

Cheers,
Loony.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the reply P-ing, I got that advice via email from the dealer and have tried several times to get the phone to pick up the car but hasn't yet worked. Picked up a whole bunch of phones and people around me but no Audi bluetooth system. Must be something I am doing wrong if yours has hooked up ok - will go past the dealer sometime and see if they can work it out.

Cheers,
Loony.
best is start from scratch with the pairings deleted.
Check that the phone is "visible" or "discoverable" and "shown to all" in bluetooth terms and then search. It should show on the MMI - I did this just after turning the car on as I read somewhere else that the search does not work after a certain time.
It should find any bluetooth kit within range - try it with anything you have if it does not work with the phone.
I just accepted the car suggested 16 digit pin and after inputting the sim card PIN number and storing it away it went.
I set the phone to accept the car as an authroised / automatic connection.
I notice that sometimes it takes a few minutes for the car to recognise the phone when I return to it and then at others it is almost instant.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

Sounds like the Nokia is the one I'm going to go for.

Passing - Please would you clarify if the Nokia USB lead

A: comes with the phone?
B: Needs a seperate Audi AMI adaptor cable to plug into the glove compartment?

Cheers

·
Registered
132 Posts
Usb

Thanks for the responses guys.

Sounds like the Nokia is the one I'm going to go for.

Passing - Please would you clarify if the Nokia USB lead

A: comes with the phone?
B: Needs a seperate Audi AMI adaptor cable to plug into the glove compartment?

Cheers
The nokia E71 is a nice looking phone, nice size and feel plus improved software over the E61. Neat card scanner - not error free though, media player and better browser plus real player which I can use for internet radio including Iain Anderson on Radio Scotland.

The phone comes with a USB lead. I bought the Audi AMI - Standard USB (Pt No 4F005150G) lead for my car for max flexibility and the audi lead plugs into that. (You can adapt from standard USB to min USB if needed for instance with a cheap adapter).

Apart from taking another 20 quid off us each time I can't see why the socket into the AMI is not a straight USB. Everything, including Ipods using their supplied lead would plug into it then and there would be no need for different cables.

Trying to work out how to get it to stream audio in order to have internet radio in the car, as it only plays files at present.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess you'd need the A2DP Bluetooth AMI adaptor to stream A2DP music to the MMI system? The limitations of this as far as I'm aware are that you can't have two simultaneous BT connections (1 for A2DP audi and 1 for BT MMI voice calls)....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Streaming

Quattorphenia - yes I think you are correct the phone will only support on BT connection at a time. BT is probably the easiest way as the phone will possibly be set up to support BT headsets - have not experiemented that far yet.

Would be good if streaming could be rigged to work through the media player route and so keep the BT connection for the phone.

Have to play some more or maybe even read the instruction manual :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just wanted to say quick thanks Passing - I followed your advice and was able to connect my E71 to the car having tried and failed many times previously. The difference was to search from the phone just after turning the ignition on - previously I waiting too long and the search facility from the car must have timed out. So thanks very much for the advice.

Now if I could just work out how to connect my ipod without retro fitting a AMI kit I'd be happy!

Cheers,
Loony :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Phones

Just wanted to say quick thanks Passing - I followed your advice and was able to connect my E71 to the car having tried and failed many times previously. The difference was to search from the phone just after turning the ignition on - previously I waiting too long and the search facility from the car must have timed out. So thanks very much for the advice.

Now if I could just work out how to connect my ipod without retro fitting a AMI kit I'd be happy!

Cheers,
Loony :D
glad you are connected and legal.

Sorry I can't help on the IPOD. Personally I would go for an external hard disk anyway and keep the ipod mobile. My passport drive works fine, is 160GB = more than I need, and only cost £40. So that leaves you £20 profit over the possible fine for using your phone......

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well it's gotta be E71!

·
Registered
132 Posts
E71

found time to play with the GPS last night. The combination of data connection and satnav is certainly the way to go for uptodate POI and traffic.

The phone can stream audio to a suitable bluetooth audio device but as I don't have the audi BT plug in for the AMI I can't try it with the car.

I might try a bog standard BT adapter but guess it may need a driver to work.

I did see that sony do a bluetooth receiver with a 3.5mm phono socket that I guess would be cheaper than audi and would then connect to the 3.5mm phono AMI lead (if I had one).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looneycat do you have MMI Bluetooth high or low? Going to buy an E71 next week but am concerned it won't sync contacts as I have the basic (4 digit pin) MMI...

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Booster... Hacks me off that I won't be able to see missed/dialled and received calls though. Will download 810 an see how I get on.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quick update on the E71. I've just connected a colleagues E71 to my MMI BT (base) and it pretty much immediately pulled up all missed/received/dialled calls on the MMI. The E71 didn't have the Nokia 810 application installed so not sure if it would have pulled through the phonebook details too (guess it may have taken a while given the number of contacts on the phone) - my understanding is that the phonebook contacts should eventually work given all other functionality worked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.