Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Here are some photos of forum member FinallyS5's car. You can see a couple more in this thread. (FYI, he hasn't been active on the site since June.)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
How does one achive that effect on the tail lights? I'd like to do it to mine.
It's just a film that you apply. Below a video showing how it's done.

I noticed this same company also sells carbon fiber vinyl. So for all those folks out there wishing they would have gotten the Carbon Atlas inlay option but don't want to pay the price or go through the hassle of retrofitting the inlays, I suppose this would be an alternative solution.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I don't know.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My guess would be that the whites were cut out of the application process - my installer had suggested the same thing.

The material is similar to the stuff they use for Clearbra types of applications - comes in clear, obviously, at least 2 shades of smoke, yellow and blue. If you ever see cars with blue or yellow on their headlights, it's all the same stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The material is similar to the stuff they use for Clearbra types of applications - comes in clear, obviously, at least 2 shades of smoke, yellow and blue. If you ever see cars with blue or yellow on their headlights, it's all the same stuff.
Please explain what you mean to a little more. Im not sure what your talking about and i would really like my tails to look exactly like his.

Thank You

·
Registered
642 Posts
if you look on ebay you will find a precut version for the s5.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-A5-S5-08-Smoked-Taillight-film-kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a727Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem280292110965QQitemZ280292110965QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories..it is simular to a window tint film...it is a thin film that is tinted, and they just used a exacto knife to cut the reverse light out. simply use some soapy water to wet the light( prevents from drying too fast while trying to get exact fit) and use something like a squeegie to work the tint flat over the light starting from the middle and working the bubbles outward, and use a hairdryer or heat gun to work the film flat. pretty simple...there are also spray tinting film that you could use......they come off with "goo-gone" and these taillights are easily removed so you dont have to worry about over spray and taping off your car. i personally have the laminex film...but i had sprayed my prowler and my brother bmw 5, the look dofferent depending on how many coats...but the tint is the best way

·
Registered
44 Posts
ok how do u get the tail covers off?
No need to remove the covers. Take the whole taillight assembly out. They are sealed so you can spray with it still attached, no need to worry about anything getting in there. If you ship them to Jon he takes care of all of it :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
for the main outter tail light open the trunk and behind the flap that the amp is in , there is like a cubed rectangle sticking out that is black with a hole in it....stil like a screw driver through the hole and crank upward for the right side and downwards for the left, and it comes out....very easy, and for th inner lights, on the backside of the trunklid open the little flaps behind the lights, and there are 2 screws that need to come out........even easier., hope that helps

·
Registered
642 Posts
Does anyone know how the lights are effected when tint goes over the front lights, does it have a big effect on the light output?
tints come in percents, it seemed to me that my headlight tints, shown in my profile pic, were 35% at best, which means that 35% of the light goes through......which is not alot, so i found that if you want that look you should def put HIDs in your foglights and tild them a little upwards, i eventually took them off and am much happier now that i can see better

just talking from experience

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.