Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any input regarding black interior-pros, cons, regrets. Exterior will be meteor gray.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If you go with black, you won't get to take advantage of the contrasting colors on the doors/seats that are possible with other colors like Pearl Silver. (See examples here.) I think that contrasting colors on the interior give the car a much more rich look and adds that much more of a "wow" factor to the car overall.

If I hadn't stumbled upon the "buyer backed out" S5 that I bought, and had actually spec'd my color choices, I definitely would have gone with a color other than black. That's my only regret with my car. I had really gotten used to seeing the beautiful contrasting colors with the Cinnmamon Brown interior on my A5 that I had owned for 6 months prior to my S5.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I'd be thinking more about do you really want Meteor Grey than the interior colour. Dull-duller-dullest IMHO.

RG

·
Registered
953 Posts
You raise an interesting point, RGBargee.

Hmmn, thinking about it, I have Phantom Black with Black Milano and Black headliner. My god it will be dark in my car! :eek:

Not particularly bothered. I prefer the black leather as it doesn't appear to show marks as easily in my experience.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately cannot see most of these exterior colors. I have heard that meteor grey is like Porsches color. Only colors seen live are the blacks and ice silver. One of the problems of trying to get a car that you can actually see, there are none around. Pictures really do not help that much for colors. Maybe should bag it and get a Porsche. At least I can see the colors and get a deal on 08's.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
:D
You raise an interesting point, RGBargee.

Hmmn, thinking about it, I have Phantom Black with Black Milano and Black headliner. My god it will be dark in my car! :eek:

Not particularly bothered. I prefer the black leather as it doesn't appear to show marks as easily in my experience.
We have Black Black and black in the 'family fleet' (A3 Sportback) which would be dull if we didn't have the 'Open Sky' option.

A friend has a Black, Black,Black S5 (no roof) and it is a bit dull inside but its only OK because of the V8 and lots of horses to take ones mind away from the darkness.

With your 2.0T I would seriously be thinking about going for the more exclusive Sport Model with Silver Valcona and a lighter roof lining... or am I just dreaming??? :D:confused:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Unfortunately cannot see most of these exterior colors. I have heard that meteor grey is like Porsches color. Only colors seen live are the blacks and ice silver. One of the problems of trying to get a car that you can actually see, there are none around. Pictures really do not help that much for colors. Maybe should bag it and get a Porsche. At least I can see the colors and get a deal on 08's.
Porsche do have a Meteor Grey (Gray for those of you who can't spell Grey:D ) but it looks nothing like the Dull Audi colour IMHO. A 911 in Meteor looks cool an S5/A5 just looks dull IMHO. But it's a free world (thanks Barak)

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Porsche do have a Meteor Grey (Gray for those of you who can't spell Grey:D ) but it looks nothing like the Dull Audi colour IMHO. A 911 in Meteor looks cool an S5/A5 just looks dull IMHO. But it's a free world (thanks Barak)

Cheers

RG
One of the problems of not being able to see a Meteor Grey in person. Like black and white but had my share of both colours.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been trolling this site since I placed my 2009 S5 order in September (you're right TXcarguy, this site is the only thing that keeps you going until you are actually sitting in your own S5 :)) and felt compelled to chime in. My car will be Meteor Grey with black interior and black Alcantara inserts. While I agree that one of the nicest things about the magma or cinammon interior is the contrast it provides (especially on the door inlays), I think calling the black interior dull is a little harsh. Having seen most of the interior and exterior color combos first hand, I think that that the black Alcantara seat inserts provide a really nice contrast that spices up the interior look sufficiently. And although I believe Meteor Grey is the most commonly sold color of the S5 statistically, here in LA, the majority that I've come across in the wild are either Phantom Black or Ibis White (which both look great). The Meteor Grey allows you to not look like every other industry exec (black) or M3 copycat (white). Just my two cents.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Try some of the UK web sites some pretty good pictures.

Porsche.co.uk

They have great pics of a Meteor Grey 911S.

Audi.co.uk

Lots of A5/S5's

·
Registered
750 Posts
It is a matter of preference...I prefer the black on black on black...with black windows...

If you like the black interior go for it, just be prepared for a toasty interior when the external temp gets hot. If you aren't a big fan of a warm seat and evil good looking interior...there are a ton of other colors that look great with the black car (TX had cinnamon with BB and it looked awesome).

There are also a ton of threads on this forum with many, many color combo comparisons.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/a5-s5-color-99/index.html?t=99&highlight=interior+pics

(Search is your friend)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
While I agree that one of the nicest things about the magma or cinammon interior is the contrast it provides (especially on the door inlays), I think calling the black interior dull is a little harsh.
My thoughts exactly.

I had the brown interior and considered the red, but I am definitely happiest with the black. The car has enough brushed cues and contrasting gray accents to make the black look both classy and sinister.
The brown, while nice, looked out of place, particularly with the wood inlays. It's almost acceptable for the A5 which leans more toward luxury, but has no place in the S5 which is all business.

The red is very nice, but I feared I would tire of looking at it daily. I also would be concerned about how it will show it's age.

Always bet on black.......:cool:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have phantom black, black milano, and black headlining, and having seen and lived with it I think would now be choosing the silver valcona but with the black headlining with the quartz or monza, and the hologram trim.

Im being forced to have black and red interior on the GTR which I'm not too pleased about

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the black interior and I love it. Having ordered it without seeing it in person, I was very pleasantly surprised. In fact, I wouldn't even call it black; it's more of a graphite color.

As for absorbing the heat, I don't find that to be a problem. My car was often parked in the blazing sunshine over the summer when the outdoor temperature reached 110 degrees and higher. The seats never felt hot and the A/C cooled the interior of the car down in about 2-3 minutes. I should add that my windows are tinted (30%), so I'm sure that helped.

In short, no regrets whatsoever.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The black interior has a serious look. It's a serious car. Matched with stainless steel trim, it has a very sophisticated look. Carbon trim is fake and too common. Aluminum trim is too bright. Wood trim seems odd now; I used to love wood trim but it can look contrived - it's a high tech environment, what's this throwback vestige of pseudo luxury doing in there?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a meteor grey S5 with the silver leather. The exterior colour looks great when clean but does appear rather dull and bland when dirty, similar to blacks I suppose.

With regards to the interior whilst the contrast of the silver with the black carpets, headlining looks great the seats are an absolute nightmare to keep clean, would certainly not go down that route again.

red would appeal short term, brown - no chance. your best bet would be black in my opinion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Magma vs Black

I can get a quartz Gray with either magma red or black. Thinking that black although great may be to much of the near same color while the magma gives it some contrast. Any opinion of those that have these combination would be appreciated. I know it comes down to your own taste but it is always nice to get opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I can get a quartz Gray with either magma red or black. Thinking that black although great may be to much of the near same color while the magma gives it some contrast. Any opinion of those that have these combination would be appreciated. I know it comes down to your own taste but it is always nice to get opinions. Thanks.
I have a Deep Sea Blue S5 with Tuscan interior, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Before test driving, I had my mind made up that this was the color choice for me (after spending hours on end on the Audi car configurator), but the car I test drove before buying was Meteor/magma, and it almost changed my mind. I normally hate red seats, they look cheap (check a 335 i with red- it spoils an otherwise decent looking car). The Magma seats on the other hand were so striking and rich in appearance, they had me drooling. Regarding Meteor Grey, if it looks dull when its dirty, wash it. I am very pleased with my color choices, and after having it since April, I know I made the right choice for me, but if that combo wasn't available, it would have been Phantom Black or Meteor with Magma. Pick what you like and be happy with it because you are the one that has to drive it. In other words, if anybody thinks my Deep Sea Blue and Tuscan looks terrible I really dont car because I love it. Have fun!

Oops just realized you were considering quartz with black or magma- I was commenting on your initial post. I am sure either would look great, but I like the contrast and would pick magma. Of course a darker car would give more contrast, so if you are still considering meteor, dont give up on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've had black cars, white car, light silver and really like the quartz. I was interested in the meteor but saw another car with it and it looked a bit to blue green in the sun. I am favoring the magma red although never seen it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a meteor grey S5 with the silver leather. The exterior colour looks great when clean but does appear rather dull and bland when dirty, similar to blacks I suppose.

With regards to the interior whilst the contrast of the silver with the black carpets, headlining looks great the seats are an absolute nightmare to keep clean, would certainly not go down that route again.

red would appeal short term, brown - no chance. your best bet would be black in my opinion.

I am suprised by the trouble you had keeping the black clean. My last car had black leather, I never had an issue

1 - 20 of 33 Posts