Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

from what I understand, Xenon Plus with Adaptive lights offered by Audi is the equivalent of Bi-Xenon. So, to double check, having just the Xenon package coming with S-line means that the high-beam is not Xenon?! And if so, what is it, because it sure does not seem to be halogen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Metalhawk

I have an A5 sportback s line on order, so thought I would check out to see what it says on Audi's website about the xenon lights.

It says that the s line comes with xenon plus lights as standard. I take it that means the dip beam and full beam are xenon lights. :thumbsup:
The only thing that is extra is the adaptive lighting at about £300 ish.

cheeRS

Diinky

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Metalhawk

I have an A5 sportback s line on order, so thought I would check out to see what it says on Audi's website about the xenon lights.

It says that the s line comes with xenon plus lights as standard. I take it that means the dip beam and full beam are xenon lights. :thumbsup:
The only thing that is extra is the adaptive lighting at about £300 ish.

cheeRS

Diinky
In July 2009's brochure (I ordered based on that) Plus was not standard :wall:

Anyone knows what the high-beam is in plain Xenon? (hate saying this phrase)

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess no-one knows.. maybe I 'll ask the dealer when service time arrives

·
Registered
185 Posts
Would be interested in the answer. I assumed the xenons worked on high beam also and that the brochure didn't include xenon plus in description of s line in error.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think there are different versions and probably the brochure just omitted plus.
At first that's what I thaught, but:

"The xenon plus system offers all the xenon advantages (see also xenon headlights) on the high-beam as well".

From: http://www.audi.com/audi/partner_au/au_20120/tools/glossary/safety/xenon_plus_headlights.html

Also, http://www.audi.com/audi/partner_au/au_20120/tools/glossary/safety/xenon_headlights.html

So, plain Xenon is only for headlights and Xenon Plus is for headlights and high-beam

.. unfortunately

·
Registered
595 Posts
Errr no.

All of the A5s equipped with Xenon lights had them for both high beam and dip (low beam) along with the LED daytime running lights, the only option was whether or not you had the adaptive 'follow the bends in the road' upgrade.

The term Bi-Xenon dates back to a time when some cars (I had a 2004 B6 A4 Cabrio so equipped) only had Xenon lamps for dip (low beam) and conventional halogen lamps for high.

I had a Saab 9-5 Aero in 2002 with Bi-Xenon lights - Audi were a bit slow to the party on that one.

·
Banned
390 Posts
I agree with Cosmic. Cracking car the Saab Aero I had a 2001 one, shame about the lack of grip and a toilet roll for the passengers. ;-0

·
Registered
595 Posts
I agree with Cosmic. Cracking car the Saab Aero I had a 2001 one, shame about the lack of grip and a toilet roll for the passengers. ;-0
Great, Hashluck who also posts on here was a 9-5 Aero pilot too, still the best seats I've ever had in a car - bar none!

·
Banned
390 Posts
Great, Hashluck who also posts on here was a 9-5 Aero pilot too, still the best seats I've ever had in a car - bar none!
My regular passengers hated the seats as they were a bit slidey, I think the 2002 (facelifted 240bhp??) version had better seats. Hard to believe that a Diesel A5 3.0Tdi delivers better performance.

Sorry back to topic.

I still think the brochure not stating Xenon Plus is a typo, I have searched but can find no reference to x2 different set ups. Why would Audi bother?? The Adaptive light option is superb if you drive round bendy roads at night. I have them but never ticked the box!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I still think the brochure not stating Xenon Plus is a typo, I have searched but can find no reference to x2 different set ups. Why would Audi bother?? The Adaptive light option is superb if you drive round bendy roads at night. I have them but never ticked the box!
I'd guess you're right. The A5 has only ever been available with xenon plus. There has never been an option to have xenon headlights with non-xenon high beam.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had a girl friend sit in the driver's sit (!no-one is allowed to sit there!) and had her turn on the high beam for me to check it from the front of the car to see if it is Xenon or not for sure.

At first she turned on the headlight washers by accident and messed up my clean car (I hate those washers, I look forward to turning them permanently off with the VAG-COM, didn't Audi ever wonder if we want them to spray with all that pressure all over the car?!)

After that unlucky event, I was able to confirm that it IS just a typo, the high-beam is Xenon, as it comes from the same source with a shutter or something moving and changing the light :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your input! :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
For your info, the reason why early Xenons only used Xenon for the dipped beam was the fact that main beam was often used when flashing the headlights. Early Xenons required a not insignificant period of time to fire up hence main beam was kept non Xenon to allow a flashing of the headlights to appear within a set period of time.

Nowadays Xenons fire up much quicker and I would be surprised if there is still a new car out there which doesn't have bi xenon...

Additionally, there are two types of adaptive lighting - one is with the movable headlights, the second is with the secondary light which shines a fixed beam of light left or right into the corner, depending on which direction you are turning.

My wife's Ford S Max, for example, has adaptive lighting but all that happens is that the secondary fixed beam lights the direction the steering wheel is turned toward, the headlights don't move. My A5 feels as if it has the headlights moving but no fixed beam shining into the corner. My recent BMW 3 series had both - the inner light on each side of the three series is angled to shine outwards, the outer headlight swivels.

To this extent, I feel cheated by the fact that the Audi doesn't shine directly into the corner like the BMW does as sometimes the moveable headlights don't move far enough when travelling around sharp corners on country lanes, the Beemer had by far the better headlights.......

·
Registered
595 Posts
I know what you mean about the adaptive lights not being that good - my previous B7 A4 Cabrio had them (a fully loaded ex-demo) - they were OK, but really make that much difference unless the road was 'gently twisty' as the lights either react fast enough or move sufficiently to be useful.

Based on the experience I didn't spec them on the current Cab - I have never tried any other manufacturers attempts...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just as an aside question, with lights on AUTO setting, and dusk setting in, does the dipped beam setting start on a LOW brightness and get brighter as darkness falls? Or does the system go from no lights to aide lights to dipped lights as the evening progresses?

I had a Lexus IS200 when they first appeared on UK shores. That had an adaptive beam that strengthened as required, automatically.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Isn't there an MMI setting that controls this?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Just as an aside question, with lights on AUTO setting, and dusk setting in, does the dipped beam setting start on a LOW brightness and get brighter as darkness falls? Or does the system go from no lights to aide lights to dipped lights as the evening progresses?

I had a Lexus IS200 when they first appeared on UK shores. That had an adaptive beam that strengthened as required, automatically.
From my experience they go from off to side + dipped beam in one jump.

If it is light enough, and the wipers are on, and travelling at speed then the side lights come on (according to the control), though they seem very bright for side lamps when seen in the reflection of the car in front.

·
Registered
158 Posts
From my experience they go from off to side + dipped beam in one jump.

I dont have full MMI so i cant change settings. (Nor do I own VAG COM).
Seems to me that I also go straight from DRL's to dipped beam (bloody bright) without any 'side light' step inbetween the two.

As far as i can tell, side lights are just DRL's but on half brightness (plus rear led's also turn on).

To clarify then, I suppose the dipped beam is either 'all on' or 'all off'. There is no gradual increase in level of output of strength..?

It begs the question as to why/when you would want to use side lights..?

Edwos

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't have MMI either, but I do have car->Exterior lighting->Auto Headlights which can be set to "early med or late". I guess this controls when they come on rather than at what intensity.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts