Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I recently bought the AG headlight restoration kit, that uses a disc that you can attach to a drill then use 800 to 3000 sand pads and then a polish applicator to finish the headlight off - Ive used it about 3/4 times and my headlights look no different?
Im using a 800 wet to a 1500 wet then a 2000/3000 wet then applying polish, would I be better doing this by hand rather than using the drill attachment, has anyone else got any tips how to get your head lights back clear?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I haven't had the need to polish the headlights on my 2013 A5 (I spray some plastic 303 UV protectanton them after ever car wash), BUT I did polish the headlights on my VW Golf.

I hand polished them at first, but that got tiring, so I used the drill with a brush attachment.

I used Mother's Aluminium polish. I know it sounds crazy, but it worked and it was very cheap at Walmart. I saw it on some youtube video.

It's gentle, so I wasn't too worried about polishing the lens too thin so they crack or shatter when hit by a pebble. A polish will also help fill in the cracks, so you can take less material off but still achieve the clarity.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive been checking youtube and it says to go down to 320 if the majority of the blemishes aren't shifting, I was using the 800 and 1500 wet but a lot people saying use them dry then use the 2000 3000 wet to get a nice finish to gonna try later :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Used the AG kit again this morning but I dont seem to be getting them clear enough :( going to give the car a clean down later today so will try another plastic polish compound with the drill attachment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts