Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a lot of time ogling Daytona Grey RS4's with wheel colours varying from titanium grey to black.

Does anyone have pics of Meteor Grey Audi's with wheels in darker colours ranging from titanium grey to black?

Am also considering blacking-out all exterior chrome too match.

What do you think?

·
Registered
70 Posts
not an s5 but i felt this vette at the barrett jackson show in scottsdale pulled off the matte black p40s on dark gray very well. however i still favor the brushed and painted silver wheels on the darker grays. my apologies for the poor cam ph quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sorry man, I think black on Daytona Gray or Meteor Gray won't do the car justice. I think your best option is standard powdercoat silver or a brushed w/chrome type of look.

The problem with the Audi "Grays" is that they are so complex. The car changes color so much. Sometimes the black wheels will look good, but in many (if not most) different lighting conditions they will just look horrible. Meteor Gray will often give off a greenish color that will look really bad with black. BMW's can get away with it because the "grays" look the same no matter what light they are under. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry man, I think black on Daytona Gray or Meteor Gray won't do the car justice. I think your best option is standard powdercoat silver or a brushed w/chrome type of look.

The problem with the Audi "Grays" is that they are so complex. The car changes color so much. Sometimes the black wheels will look good, but in many (if not most) different lighting conditions they will just look horrible. Meteor Gray will often give off a greenish color that will look really bad with black. BMW's can get away with it because the "grays" look the same no matter what light they are under. Just my $0.02.
Thanks Ranger, I tend to agree with you. Just wondered if anyone took the plunge.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Spent a lot of time ogling Daytona Grey RS4's with wheel colours varying from titanium grey to black.

Does anyone have pics of Meteor Grey Audi's with wheels in darker colours ranging from titanium grey to black?

Am also considering blacking-out all exterior chrome too match.

What do you think?
Go with black machined face Vossen VVS078 in 20"....I had those on my meteor S5, and people complimented me so much. And actually since I no longer have my S5 I can sell you my wheels for a great price. If you're interested PM me

·
Registered
299 Posts
Go with black machined face Vossen VVS078 in 20"....I had those on my meteor S5, and people complimented me so much. And actually since I no longer have my S5 I can sell you my wheels for a great price. If you're interested PM me
I was wondering why you were being so specific on the wheels you recommend, until I got to the end. Thats pretty funny.:laughinatabove:

How about some pictures.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks but I think the freight to Sydney will be a deal-breaker

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks but I think the freight to Sydney will be a deal-breaker
You know joe, the guy you met up with in Syndey with the black S5 and the DPE's actually bought them from Quattrings who lives in So Cal. You may want to ask him how much he paid for shipping.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know joe, the guy you met up with in Syndey with the black S5 and the DPE's actually bought them from Quattrings who lives in So Cal. You may want to ask him how much he paid for shipping.
Yeah I know.

I shipped my current wheel/tyre combo from Germany so I know the ballpark freight cost will be $1000 USD. So for $4500 USD I can get a great set here that I like 100%

·
Registered
324 Posts
Whats wrong with your current wheels? I like them anyway. :thumbsup:

On a slightly different note, during my exhaust install at audi I found myself toying with the idea of the R8 wheels... Anyone tried to put these on a s5???

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Orange... I'm liking orange wheels on a grey car.

...you could go for apple green on one side and orange on the other... after all, you can only see one side of the car at a time.

:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Orange... I'm liking orange wheels on a grey car.

...you could go for apple green on one side and orange on the other... after all, you can only see one side of the car at a time.

:2thumbsup:
No don't agree, one of each on either side would be far more tasteful.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whats wrong with your current wheels? I like them anyway. :thumbsup:

On a slightly different note, during my exhaust install at audi I found myself toying with the idea of the R8 wheels... Anyone tried to put these on a s5???
Thanks, yeah I like them too, just bored.

I had a look at R8 wheels but they're only 19", couldn't find replica's in 20". Also the R8 has the old platform centre bore of 57.1mm, not 66.6 like the B8/8T platform. You could always get them machined though.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Ha Ha!

Just bored with alloy wheels on 'Doom & Gloom Grey' and struggling to find anything else that works
Respray Phantom Black?:cheers:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have anthrocite centers with machined lips on my Meteor Gray. I like it a lot. I think black would have been too dark for car color. It would have centered attention on the wheels instead of complementing the car as a whole.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You could always try the old suby gold

1 - 20 of 21 Posts