Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. Hit a deep drain (felt like a sinkhole) on the Van Wyck Expressway about midnight a couple of nights ago...at first I thought I'd be pulling over to the side of the road and waiting for a tow truck on two flat tires. But fortunately, it wasn't that bad.

However, I've now noticed a vibration at about 45 mph, diminishing until I get near 80 when it gets stronger and then diminishes again at about 85...I will be taking it in next week (going away this week), but I'm wondering if some of the real knowledgeable folks here can help me prepare for the outcome: am I looking at bent rims, or would that be a constant vibration at all speeds?

thanks.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Help. Hit a deep drain (felt like a sinkhole) on the Van Wyck Expressway about midnight a couple of nights ago...at first I thought I'd be pulling over to the side of the road and waiting for a tow truck on two flat tires. But fortunately, it wasn't that bad.

However, I've now noticed a vibration at about 45 mph, diminishing until I get near 80 when it gets stronger and then diminishes again at about 85...I will be taking it in next week (going away this week), but I'm wondering if some of the real knowledgeable folks here can help me prepare for the outcome: am I looking at bent rims, or would that be a constant vibration at all speeds?

thanks.
Few questions for you,

1. How fast was the car going when you hit the pot hole?
2. Also is it a stock wheel or aftermarket wheel?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Vibration in the steering wheel, in the car chassis, or in the brake pedal?

Could be a bent rim, or cross your fingers, hopefully you just knocked some of the balancing weights off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
-- I was going about 40 mph

-- vibration comes a bit through steering wheel and chassis, no brake pedal vibration.

-- stock 19" rims, Eagle F1s AS.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Smokeeyes,
A bit off subject but how do you like the Goodyear F1 A/S's. You are the first person with an A5/S5 that I have seen using them. I have bought a set but I am holding off till November (snow season) to install them. I ordered stock size (255/35-19). I was told they should be comparable to the stock Dunlop's as they are the same company.

'08 S5, 6 speed, Ibis White w/Tuscan Brown, Loaded

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
F1 AS Eagles

I've had no problems with them, and they were great during the winter.

I made the choice for several reasons: I'm knew I wasn't going to be driving that hard, even in summer months and I wanted a tire that I wouldn't have to change according to seasons. While we didn't have a big snow year in New York, they were great on light snow and the one or two heavier snows that left a couple of inches on the roadway early in the morning. After this rainy spring here on the East Coast, I've also appreciated their performance on wet surfaces. I don't even think about the road surface conditions.

Since I'm not a fanatic driving enthusiast, I haven't got a lot to compare them to, although I've driven nearly all the exotics in the last three years (my job:) and so I've had plenty of time of full high performace stock. I have not ever felt like the F1 AS Eagles were holding me back from anything. I did squeeze a curb in a parking lot at about 2mph turning into a tight spot, and lost one tire...but I gather that's pretty common on low-profile tires...hell, I did it once in my a6 on 17" tires.

Finally, from the outset, I was looking to keep my cost down on owning an S5 (peace on the home front was one factor), and not having to come up with another $1000 for a set of 19" performance tires (or winter tires) was a plus.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
apart from obvious places to check, you might want to check the walls of your tyres, and it might only be viewable if you take the tyres off the rim.

My supra had Eagle F1 GSD3s on it, and it was vibrating heavilly at around 45-50mph+. Turned out a 6 inch long tear was in the sidewall of one tyre, however, it hadn't deflated. Eventually, it crippled while parked and the air just wouldn't stay in it. Thank god it didn't blow out while on the motorway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

Well, finally got the bad news yesterday. Took that long to get the car into the garage becuase of vacation and business trip...two bent rims, the front one much worse than the back on the right side. I had sorta reached that conclusion, but I ate my lunch and let it settle a bit before I returned the garage's call in the afternoon.

The good news is that the rims are still in repairable shape, or at least worth taking a shot at repairing. A place out in Long Island, New York apparently has the technique down to a science. I'll let you all know how it goes; should have the car back next week.

In the meantime, I'm trying to explain to my wife how the pothole was big enough and deep enough that it would have happened to any car that hit it...she's not buying, preferring to give me a bit of a hard time about my "thoroughbred."

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Final Update

Got the beast back last night. Drives perfectly. Dealer said that while the flat wasn't visible on the exterior part of the rim, he said the spot on the inner rim was flat as a pancake. All that vibration i had been noticing, not just in road and wheel noise, but in the power steering and in drive train, was coming off the wheels; at least that's my first impression after driving down the highway last night when the car was totally smooth again.

My advice is if you're having some of those inexplicable vibrations...get the rims checked.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Forged aluminum rims?

Got the beast back last night. Drives perfectly. Dealer said that while the flat wasn't visible on the exterior part of the rim, he said the spot on the inner rim was flat as a pancake. All that vibration i had been noticing, not just in road and wheel noise, but in the power steering and in drive train, was coming off the wheels; at least that's my first impression after driving down the highway last night when the car was totally smooth again.

My advice is if you're having some of those inexplicable vibrations...get the rims checked.
I thought the S5 had forged aluminum rims?

These are much stronger than standard stamped aluminum rims and save you from pot holes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
me too, a while back

Smoke, some years ago with my 330xi I was deforming rims left and right. BMW was less than useless. It is mainly the low profile tires and there is not much you can do. With the S5 so far I have been very lucky.
S.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I thought the S5 had forged aluminum rims?

These are much stronger than standard stamped aluminum rims and save you from pot holes.
:confused:

IF these are forged, they are the heaviest (and sure seem like cast) forged wheels I have come across.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Also, if one were to hit something (like a pot hole or road debris) it is possible to damage the tire, where the damage is not visible (e.g. the steel fibers are broken) and this will make the tire bulge and cause it to vibrate but it not show until you take the tire off of the rim.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wheels America

The company that fixed my rims is called Wheels America in Farmingdale, New York; that's out on Long Island. Apparently, you can ship tires to them too, expensive yes, but it means anyone in the country can use them, or at least that's my guess.

Good luck, and hopefully no one will need them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The company that fixed my rims is called Wheels America in Farmingdale, New York; that's out on Long Island. Apparently, you can ship tires to them too, expensive yes, but it means anyone in the country can use them, or at least that's my guess.

Good luck, and hopefully no one will need them.
I've bent two rims in a week. I had my guy in Brooklyn fix them on a lathe, but it aint cheap. Ganin Tire in Bensonhurst, if you curious.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts