Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience of wheel spacers and are they recommended or to be avoided?

Do they all need longer wheel bolts, or can you use the audi originals with say the 10mm spacers? (and therefore use the original locking wheelnut)

Don't get me wrong, the S5 is a beautiful looking car. However, I don't think the rear wheels fill the arches enough. They look a little 'inset' and to be fair I think if they'd made the S5 25mm lower all round it would make one hell of a difference. So...

...when the new car arrives (oh the agonising wait) I'm not going to be forking out for a lowering kit and alloys with bigger offsets. However, 10 or perhaps 15mm spacers at the rear would be simple, cheap and subtle but could make a huge visual impact. (I wouldn't touch the front as you are playing with the steering geometry).

Your input would be helpful. Ta. Ian.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I agree the rear wheels sit way too far inside the rear arches. 15mm each side on the rear will be fine and wont require any stud conversion. H&R do them. Going to be fitting some after Christmas so I'll let you know whats involved..

http://www.h-r.com/index.php?inhalt=produkt-d&sprache=en

3055665 AUDI A5/S5 Typ B8
wheel number of holes 5, except version with self levelling DR-System 30 mm 112/5, 66, 5 mm note 3, offset: VA-6 HA-16 Approval

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
If you plan to take your car to the track at anytime don't put spacers on it. I was told by tuners Thorney motorsports a while back that if a car is going to do track work not to put spacers on. They weren't clear the reason, but i'm assuming it has an affect on the handling.

Usually when you buy spacers for the car they come supplied with the longer bolts as you will definitely need them as the stock bolts wont be long enough.

H&R’s TRAK+ aluminium wheel spacers reduce over- and understeering tendencies and a weight saving of up to 70 percent as compared to conventional steel wheel spacers helps to keep down the unsprung mass.

With the car being quattro - would widening the rear track only not have an affect on it, as I thought that you had to kind of keep things on both axles the same on a car with quattro?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'd agree that if you're using the car for track work spacers on the rear alone would effect the handling, I don't see any reason why fitting the spacers to the rear only would be a problem. A neighbour did it on his Volvo S60R (uses Haldex all-wheel drive ststem)and has covered 30,000 miles since with no probs. Wider offset wheels would be preferrable but alot more expensive. H&R will advise and may well suggest fitting spacers to the front too. And yes bolts come with the set.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd agree that if you're using the car for track work spacers on the rear alone would effect the handling, I don't see any reason why fitting the spacers to the rear only would be a problem. A neighbour did it on his Volvo S60R (uses Haldex all-wheel drive ststem)and has covered 30,000 miles since with no probs. Wider offset wheels would be preferrable but alot more expensive. H&R will advise and may well suggest fitting spacers to the front too. And yes bolts come with the set.
Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks all. I have +10 offset alloys on my A6 and it definately made a difference (although I also went up to 245 wide and down to 40 profile tyres which probably made the biggest difference). The negative is the steering is more vague than before (if this is possible on an A6! ...again probably the tyres) and tends to 'track' more with ruts in the road. I'd like to avoid this latter.

As an engineer, I've always avoided spacers as the design of such an assembly will allow a force called a moment to be created in the bolts under load from acceleration or braking, which isn't present in an assembly without the spacers which are almost in pure shear. Increasing the moment creates greater stresses in the bolt and therefore potentially causing failure if the safety factors aren't high enough, or if they are incorrectly torqued. (also higher torque is required to stabilise the assembly creating higher stress in the bolts)

Therefore... I can see why not recommended for the track, as you will work the car MUCH harder than on the roads and at higher speeds, so a failure is more likely... I also worry that with the S5 power, you are asking for trouble.

Do I worry unnecessarily... are all the safety factors so high as to not be concerned by this?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Therefore... I can see why not recommended for the track, as you will work the car MUCH harder than on the roads and at higher speeds, so a failure is more likely... I also worry that with the S5 power, you are asking for trouble.

Do I worry unnecessarily... are all the safety factors so high as to not be concerned by this?
I would consult H&R as i'm sure they would have done a lot of testing. I would think you would have o push the car close to its limits for quite a bit of time inorder to get some sort of failure, again it depends on how hard you drive the car.

Have you considered putting wider wheels (i know more expensive option)on with the right offset to get the same looks without the down side of spacers?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you considered putting wider wheels (i know more expensive option)on with the right offset to get the same looks without the down side of spacers?
Indeed I have considered this, as this is what I have onn the A6... but it is expensive.

As for consulting H&R... they DO have a vested interest!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I installed HR spacers on my S5 from madaudi last night. Looks so much better that I don't know how I did without them for so long. It's only temporary as I will be removing and installing different wheels by the end of the week. Excellent quality and 'right' to the edge of the fender now. Very happy with the look and exact fitment of them. We're talking an absolute perfect fitment on the hub, seats, etc.

Regarding the questions of not using them on the track, I would agree if it is about unsprung weight. They easily add 2-3lbs of weight per wheel. Obviously any weight that's added on the track is a no no.

~ Quattrings

Indeed I have considered this, as this is what I have onn the A6... but it is expensive.

As for consulting H&R... they DO have a vested interest!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I got mine through the post this morning, going to fit them over the weekend.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Let us know how it works out, if I get the 18"s optioned I might be interested in having them fitted.

(100 posts and not even an order in yet! beat that!)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Apoligies from me too :eek:

Nope, I'm still pondering :eek:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Could those who have fitted them please let us know the manufacturer and part number and the size of the spacer the ordered/fitted. Thanks... before and after piccies would be great too!!! (I know I ask too much!) :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
any concerns with the spacers with paint damage from more tire "kick-up" and by lowering the car any issues with clearance in and out of sloped driveways etc. It seems even now that even a snowball on the road catches the undercarriage.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Could those who have fitted them please let us know the manufacturer and part number and the size of the spacer the ordered/fitted. Thanks... before and after piccies would be great too!!! (I know I ask too much!) :)
Second that. ^^ I see 20mm, 25mm, 30mm available on madaudi.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts