Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an inspection on a low mileage 2015 BE+ that I’m looking to buy and the engineer flagged up residue around the whole circumference of the gearbox to engine casing joint. Its minor and doesn’t leak and the guy at the garage says it was probably from manufacturing (which doesnt sound right to me). Anyway I’m not mechanically minded so not sure if this is a potentially serious issue or not. Please look at the picture and let me know what you think, IYO is this something that should put me off buying it? Thanks
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Black Tread

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
857 Posts
Hi,

Let me chip in here, the engine casing to gearbox seal shouldn’t be leaking at all, it could come from elsewhere but looking at the picture it looks like it’s seeping through the transmission and engine casing.

It will need doing. But could go on for years and never get worse.
Main issues will be low oil level in the transmission. But there is no way of knowing what will happen. Could also be dirt or leftover engine oil???

If you could negotiate a price for labour of seal change then perhaps it could still be worth it? Or use the evidence to levy a better price👍🏻

~Alex

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Well said Alex!! Personally I would look elsewhere, especially when the garage starts with such idiot comments like "oh they all do that sir" and so on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE- I went back to the dealer to discuss it and he wouldn’t acknowledge it was even on the bottom of the casing just kept saying it was only at the top and therefore couldn’t be a leak as leaks don’t travel upwards, despite the photo clearly showing it and the engineers report backing it up. Then told me I’d be crazy to not buy it and that no-one in their right mind would get it fixed!! This was the moment I ended the conversation and left him to it. Thanks for your advice Alex, it was excellent, as is this forum 🙂

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
857 Posts
Very wise @RedRob. Otherwise you’d be back in the forums with maybe a big headache and further hefty repair bills.

Do let us know if you find the right one though 👍🏻👌🏻

~Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts