Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellows vorsprung drivers.
I think I have seen the answer to my questions but here we go?.
I had to replace the battery on my Audi A5 3.0 quattro convertible.
I went to Halfords who replaced battery and fitted for £168.00
They said that the battery didn't need coding as it wasn't a s/s vehicle.
I have had a scan on the car since and the majority of systems have errors that say low voltage.
They all work and have no engine management light on.
But I can't erase these codes.
My question is DO I NEED to code the battery and if so how do I do it?
Thankyou in advance.

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
191 Posts
This is a frequent topic on Audi forums -- Google is your friend here. Look at this recent thread over at AZ: What is the correct Audi battery?

I put this guide together based on vehicle information sticker PR codes: Speaking of Batteries: A Brief Review of ETKA VAG Part...

In general, if your car has Battery Control Module (J367), you should code the starter battery replacement. It doesn't need to be exact, but the VAG part number should match the replacement.

PS: I see from your PR sticker that your 2009 A5 should have OE PN 000-915-105-DL (PR-J0Z). If your installer put in an equivalent flooded 520A/110Ah starter battery, just change the serial number to recode. --g

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
These cars are VERY sensitive to their batteries. Halfords are about as sensitive as a brick wall. You need to intervene. Gently.

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
191 Posts
Short answer: yes. What is the replacement starter battery ? --g

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am in similar position. I replaced the battery just over a year ago and its already showing very low charge despite the car being used daily.The online company i purchased from has declined my warranty claim.

When the battery is low it triggers a Energy Management code and this needs to be cleared to restore everything. Also you need to update the ECU to inform its a new battery..this is easy if you have the tools but Halfords wont have them.

I am considering purchasing a battery from Halfords as the future warranty claim be a lot easier. But may i ask why you fitted that smaller battery when the recommended battery is this one and its also a lot cheaper.
My old battery is just hanging by a thread. I am just waiting to renew my home insurance new week from Confused.com and they give £20 Halfords voucher so will be spent on the battery :cool:

Product Rectangle Font Circuit component Electronic device

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
191 Posts
@sayek is correct: the correct replacement starter battery for PR-J0Z is the Yuasa HSB020 Silver (Size Group 94, H9 in North America). Since this is equivalent to the OE conventional flooded starter battery (VAG PN 000-915-105-DL), one would need only to change the serial number (arbitrarily) with the appropriate VAG diagnostic tool (e.g., VCDS). --g

Reactions: sayek

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will have to check battery then? Cz Halfords check equivalent to OEM.
And that's what they come up with.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Yuasa make great batteries!!

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
191 Posts
@Sully2603 : You can always put a lower rated starter battery in your car; it's your car, after all. According to the build specification (PR-J0Z), your car expects a conventional flood started battery rated at 110 Ah. According to the Yuasa cross-reference lookup ( Yuasa UK - The world’s leading battery manufacturer ), their current equivalent to VAG 000915105DL is YBX5020 ( YBX5020 ). I find it interesting that Yuasa doesn't show any of these HSB series starter batteries offered by Halfords on their UK web site. --g

Reactions: sayek

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got a bloke doing a full scan Thursday along with any coding needing to be done.
He has the full diagnostic vag scanning equipment.
So I will give update when completed. But thanks guys for your help much appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just had a scan and after all faults clear this one comes back on. Any ideas pls.
Font Circle Number Monochrome Parallel

No other code now showing.
It says on start up (sports differential fault)

·
Administrator
468 Posts
Can you post a full scan? That message tells you to read the error codes from the J492 controller. It’s probably address 22 AWD. You should find more details in there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts