Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With winter starts not far off now, and some original batteries (like mine) still going after many years, does anyone have any preference between these Brands for a replacement 020 110Ah Battery: Yuasa, Bosch, Exide, Varta & Hankook?
I'm sure they are all good, and the prices and sizes are almost the same- so just asking if anyone has any knowledge on any of these that might help to influence the decision?:nerd:

Reactions: SimonRoma

· Registered
569 Posts
I get a coupon in the mail from the dealer for parts. After shopping around, it turned out with the 15% off coupon, the dealer was the cheapest! Can't go wrong with genuine VW/Audi batteries. I have also used Bosch on my other VW's before and it didn't disappoint.

Best thing to do for car batteries is to keep them topped off. I have a battery charger and I topped up once a month.

· Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Good point from Alex, and I too will be in the market soon cos my 2008 A5 still has what looks like the original battery!! I have always bought Bosch for car batteries and Yuasa for motorbikes, and I also regularly connect the batteries to a CTEK battery maintenance device, I have 4. This means that Yuasa batteries can last up to 8 years on bikes, only 4 years if you dont connect them.

· Registered
578 Posts
Always used Bosch as replacement, with my previous car which had huge audio system it lasted for good few years without much of problem, in fact i think around 4 or 5, the only thing is that they're sealed and you cant top them up, but it never dries out in any case.

· Registered
1,833 Posts
I have just bought a battery for my daughter's car so I did a bit of research into this. Apparently Varta and Bosch are the same, made in the same factory. I have experience of Yuasa as a reliable brand. I don't know anything about Exide and Hankook. I chose Varta silver on this occasion because the particular one had the best spec for the price. I found that Tayna seems to have a good range and reasonable prices.

Reactions: Pulsarlaser

· Registered
2,372 Posts
Varta are factory fit! :)

· Registered
2,372 Posts
I would get it fault read. VCDS will show battery condition etc Sounds like a bad battery. No known electrical faults that can drain the battery anyway.

· Registered
41 Posts
I would get it fault read. VCDS will show battery condition etc Sounds like a bad battery. No known electrical faults that can drain the battery anyway.
I have the battery on charge at the moment and will test to see if I holds a charge without being connected to the car once it's fully charged and see if it holds a charge. If it doesn't then it's definitely a battery fault. Will update later.

· Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Note that the car manufacturers do not make batteries so the OEM fits can vary, usually Bosch on VAG cars. I have purchased Bosch as well as Varta batteries and found them both great, Yuasa for motorbikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts