Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

From a scale of 1 to 10(with 10 being the best), how good is the 'base' model's system? I am contemplating if I should spend an extra $900 for the upgrade to the B&O.

THanks!

Joe

·
Registered
487 Posts
10+ Imo

·
Registered
104 Posts
The B&O system is worth every penny. If anything 850.00 is a bargin. It is clear, focused and has clean bass too. Also, The ipon/mp3 interface in the mmi makes it even better.

Get it, you won't regret it.

For the money your paying for this car it is a minor bump in price.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Pay close attention to how the OP phrased his question. He was asking for a one-to-ten on the basic sound system. If he's just glancing at the numbers, he may think that everyone else thinks the base model stereo is unbeatable.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Also, The ipon/mp3 interface in the mmi makes it even better.

Ummm...I thought the iPod/MP3 option came with the NAV system???

Pay close attention to how the OP phrased his question. He was asking for a one-to-ten on the basic sound system. If he's just glancing at the numbers, he may think that everyone else thinks the base model stereo is unbeatable.

Yeah, my bad, I jumped the gun. I'm not 100% about the default factory stereo. However, in comparison to the numerous sound systems I've heard standard and upgraded versions, the B&O hands down is the best I've ever heard in a car. I've of course heard better with top of the line living room sound systems but that's like apples to oranges.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the standard system...I'd rate it as 2-3 at best. Sounds very dull/flat and not very lifelike no matter how you play with the settings. Also, as I have discovered, the system is missing the tweeters in the upper door panels.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dont know about the standard system.....

but the B&O is very good.

Very Clear even at high volumes

and I think worth the money

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Okay - that's the second time for me in this forum, dave. I'm getting my vision checked! Have nothing to offer on the base stereo system of course.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i would say for a base sound system if it set up correctly 8 - 9 remember its a bose system!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm getting my vision checked!
That might explain it...I just got back from the eye doctor the other day with a new contact prescription.

As long as you don't have a profession where little details in the written word are important. Oh, wait...

:D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Do not forget the B&O was specially designed and made for the A5/S5 IMO it is superb and worth every penny. I had the Bose in my TT Roadster and that was very good but the B&O takes it a lot further. Its by far the best sound for the dosh that I have heard.;)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Looking forward to hearing this now :)

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
That might explain it...I just got back from the eye doctor the other day with a new contact prescription.

As long as you don't have a profession where little details in the written word are important. Oh, wait...

:D
Ha! I'm hoping my eyes are just taking a break when they know they aren't reading legal documents! :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do not forget the B&O was specially designed and made for the A5/S5 IMO it is superb and worth every penny. I had the Bose in my TT Roadster and that was very good but the B&O takes it a lot further. Its by far the best sound for the dosh that I have heard.;)
I was a little disappointed with my B&O system and would rate it at 6/10. (I am still not convinced that it is working properly and really need to compare my car to one at my local dealership)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Looking forward to hearing this now :)

The Bose in my 07 TT is useless :mad: :(
you set it up properly with all the knobby things????

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have the B&O and it sounds excellent. More clear and crisp in the medium and treble, but not as warm in the bass than the previous Bose systems IMO.

However, I did have the standard sound systemn in my previous Audi. I must say it was good, but only for the first 1/2 hour, then a little dull and tiring to listen to during a longer ride.

I agree, the premium sound system is a bargain for the price.

·
Registered
415 Posts
its a bose system!
Bose does not automatically equate to "good", especially in recent years. In fact, I'd say most of what they make is mid-grade at best nowadays. They've been living off their name for a long time, and haven't put any serious motiviation into making really good stuff for a while. Slap a Bose badge on anything, and plenty of people will buy it, so why bother wasting money on product development?

People have started to catch up to this lately, especially in the automotive segment. That's why 10 years ago, Bose was an expensive upgrade in many cars. At the present, that same Bose only manages to remain a base-model feature for some makes, and other car companies have abondoned them altogether.

No car maker is pushing the Bose name as the pinnacle of quality they way they used to...the buyers have caught on. Audi has a great new relationship with B&O, and VW had been ramping up their support of the Dynaudio brand recently. My wife's Eos has the Dynaudio upgrade, and it's quite nice. I bet my B&O is better though. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm getting concerned now as I didn't go for the B&O system. What options do I have if I too think the Bose system is crap when the car arrives? (Car's built now so too late to change the order). Can the B&O system be retro fitted?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts