Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have the 3.0tdi sport manual I have always thought it was a quick car but tonight i decided to test how quick by couple of 0-60 runs, with just me in the car with no luggage and a very low fuel level(shell). With correct quick gear changes in the correct torque range i recorded 6.9 and 7.1 secs to 60(ish) mph. On an open flat road , how can the manufacturer claim 5.9 secs to 62mph????

Its a 58 reg with 4500 miles on the clock running of shell diesel.

Any ideas??? (please no driving critisism :) i assure you it was a correct clean run)

Paul

·
Registered
371 Posts
I know you have the 3.0TDI but I had asked same question about the 3.2TFSI.

Audiusa.com had posted the 3.2 tiptronic makes it 0-60mph in 5.9 but I recorded numbers much higher and couldn't get anywhere near 5.9.

Heres a link to my old thread that also includes HD videos of some of my A5 going 0-60 mph:http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/0-60mph-a5-5876/index.html

·
Registered
871 Posts
Testers who get the 5.9 figures have to be really brutal with the car, much more than a mere mortal owner like us would be.
To get off the line like they do take your revs to around 4000 and hold, then let your foot slide off the clutch sideways and floor the throttle, you then need lightening fast changes at the optimum revs, probably about 4000 -4500 in the 3.0tdi.
Not something that I would recommend. As I said its a bit brutal and I love my car.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
According to EN /DIN these times are within tolerance -0 +4 sec. :wall:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The other thing that you have to remember is that performance will be affected by atmospheric conditions such as temperature, humidity and altitude. These should all be compensated for by the engine management, but not always the case. Also, you will find that the Engine Management "learns" your driving style, so if you do not drive like a maniac all of the time, then the performance "adapts" in recognition of how you do drive. Try driving hard for a couple of days and then repeat your test. You may find the results have changed. Be interesting to see too.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I think we'll have to wait for Santa Pod, then we can run a stock TDI down the strip and try and achieve 5.9secs.

I don't think it would be too hard in my 3.0TDI. If I compare it to my supra 0-60mph (roughly 5.2 secs) it doesn't feel far off the pace.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the 0 - 60 times of the car, it isn't really important. In gear acceleration is the true test of performance and the TDI in this case is very quick.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just see how much weight those electric seats add + big 19" wheels + ...

You'll need a standard A5, no electric seats, no GPS, no big wheels, no sport seats, basic as basic it can get. And what speary said already, you'll also have to be brutal with the car (full throttle @standstill means 3800rpm, with the first gen 3.0TDI's).

Don't be fouled by the numbers. It's just like the CO2 emissions, lot's of BS. CO2 emissions are also recorded with the standard car, which means that while up-rating the wheels to 19" or even more, the car will consume more fuel, however, those CO2 emissions will always stay the same on paper, no matter what wheels you choose. This is a backdoor if you'd ask me, manufacturers can easily make a standard car as light as possible, with pathetic small wheels on them, to score good performance and emissions numbers.

That sad, I was able to record the run in 6.5s, by being brutal and shifting absolutely correct. The difficult part is to match the revs on the upshift from 1st to 2nd. But in general, it's slower than 6.5s, and even 7s runs are normal if you don't push it hard. Face it, it's not a sports car, it's a GT. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah thanks for your replies i think its a combination of the 19" Y design wheels and all the kit inside. Also there is a slight delay in the turbo being fully back in between gear changes. The in gear acceleration is still very powerful it might be just i'm getting used to it. Going off the line against an S3 or a 330d / 335i there is nothing in it. It was raining and cold last night i will have to retest on a bright dry afternoon :) One thing i will ask is if the car has adapted to my driving style, is it possible to reset the ECU?? (Disconnecting the battery and shorting the leads maybe??)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
True, true.
Even my car was only able to get 6.13 seconds to 62MPH (probably 5.9 to 60MPH) based on GPS measure. And I have 310BHP....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The other thing that you have to remember is that performance will be affected by atmospheric conditions such as temperature, humidity and altitude. These should all be compensated for by the engine management, but not always the case. Also, you will find that the Engine Management "learns" your driving style, so if you do not drive like a maniac all of the time, then the performance "adapts" in recognition of how you do drive. Try driving hard for a couple of days and then repeat your test. You may find the results have changed. Be interesting to see too.:thumbsup:
I wouldn't demonize adaptation, it could be 1% or something.

·
Registered
61 Posts
"Also, you will find that the Engine Management "learns" your driving style, so if you do not drive like a maniac all of the time, then the performance "adapts" in recognition of how you do drive. Try driving hard for a couple of days and then repeat your test. You may find the results have changed. Be interesting to see too."

Is that really true?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm glad i didn't test it today on the 'bright dry afternoon' i was looking for whilst being tailed by one of cheshire police's finest unmarked vectras, very inconspicuous with its 3 roof mounted antennas and 3 black and white clothed gentlemen inside with earpieces in. *indicates into the middle lane*. Checking your rear view mirror before gunning it goes without saying!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
"Also, you will find that the Engine Management "learns" your driving style, so if you do not drive like a maniac all of the time, then the performance "adapts" in recognition of how you do drive. Try driving hard for a couple of days and then repeat your test. You may find the results have changed. Be interesting to see too."

Is that really true?
In most modern ECU's, the only thing that "learns" is the throttle response, shift points, and a/f ratio (based on input from the o2 sensors and air density based on temp/altitude etc).

The throttle response issue is not applicable at full throttle, the shift points don't apply to the OP since his car is 6MT, and the a/f ratio actually improves power since the base map is probably conservatively rich.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.