Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems there are a lot of folks either sticking badges on Audis to make them look different. Quattro badges on S5 , for goodness sake we all know its a Quattro. Or a complete removal of badges to pretend your 1.8 is a 4.2.

What's all this about?

Any views?:)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Or a complete removal of badges to pretend your 1.8 is a 4.2.

What's all this about?
Some people just prefer that "cleaner" look without badges on the rear. In fact, some markets even allow you to order your A5/S5 without a rear badge.

It's not always about trying to pretend to be something you're not. A perfect example is folks with S5s who debadge. (See attched.) And who would they be pretending to be like? See my point? I've seen several pics of debadged S5s.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As Audi intended

Some people just prefer that "cleaner" look without badges on the rear. In fact, some markets even allow you to order your A5/S5 without a rear badge.

It's not always about trying to pretend to be something you're not. A perfect example is folks with S5s who debadge. (See attched.) And who would they be pretending to be like? See my point? I've seen several pics of debadged S5s.

Nice colour spec. same as out TT! We Audi entusiasts all know yours is an S5 4 exhausts, rear difuser etc. Seems the debadgers are more often the 1.6 diesels who wish it was a 4.2 petrol. Many A5's over my way are debadged and generally it is obvious why. Don't see the point myself unless its to 'pretend' you have a bigger one than you have or like the Q Car feeling.

TT with all it's badges intact! A '5' is coming soon I think.

RG

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Once again silly discussion. Pal, you have to understand that most people who buy A5 are actually able to afford and buy S5. I have debadged 3.0 TDI Quattro and if I wanted I could buy S5, or Porsche 911. :) I just didn't need extra performance and more importantly another gas guzzler in my garage.....
This is not about money or wishing to be something bigger....:)
On a car like Audi A5 I just hate these damn badges that make this car look "cheaper", so I removed them.

All I could do is just to laugh at people who think that I am trying to be S5.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an 3.0 TDI Quattro...If you know anything about the A5/S5's you would know I have an A5....and it's the top of the range A5...the only reason I have debadged is cause I like the cleaner look...If I had an S5 which is an awsome engine btw..It would be debadged too! Whether you have a 1.8T or a 4.2 V8 you still have a incredible car!!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

That doesn't look bad.

Maybe i'll remove mione and pretend to be an RS5.....:p

·
Registered
750 Posts
+1...I will do it and pretend I am you Sizzle. :D

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Since many Audis are specced from factory without badges I can hardly see anything wrong with debadging, no need to advertise your model or engine if you don't want to. Of course some do it to hide their small engine (heck, Audi even automatically debadged all 1.6 A4 B6s!) but many also do it to hide a big engine (us Europeans may be different that way...). Of course a large part seems to be just people who prefer the cleaner look.

As for fake badges, that I dislike and don't understand. Adding quattro badge to an S5 obviously isn't faking, so go ahead if you like badges... :)

Changing grilles or mirrors or skirts or whatnot is just customizing, nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
That doesn't look bad.

Maybe i'll remove mione and pretend to be an RS5.....:p
LOL, maybe once I have my oval exhaust fitted, i'll remove my badge and pretend to have the first UK RS5...or better still remove with S5 badge and add and RS badge instead :p:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
ALso have a 3.0 TDI A5 with out badges. And for the same reasons and mentioned above I did it because it looks better. I think it looks naff on the right hand side of the number plate - all letters squashed together.

Anyone will know its a 3.0 TDI (and not a 1.8) because of the exhaust system. They will also know it is not a S5 for the same reason (and more).

My other car is a Subara Sti AWD Type UK PPP - now that is naff (and its all in pink). However, somehow it gets away with it - but not the AUdi.

Mark

·
Registered
106 Posts
I made a mistake.

I've debadged my 3.2 A5 and I'm sorry I did. Originally, I thought it would look cleaner without the cheap plastic badges. It does, but the downside is that I'm getting tired of people trying to stop me or come up to me at refill stations and asking what is the hell is that gorgeous car? Just joking. I love the attention and I love my quick silver.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Almost any Audi can be specced from factory without the engine capacity or without both the model and engine capacity badges - this is possible in the U.K. and many other European countries at least. It might not be possible in the U.S. where the equipment list is simplied for inventory control reasons. However, if someone was to debadge such a car afterwards it would be like any retrofit - just getting something factory-approved done afterwards.

You don't buy your Mac or a PC with the gigahertz painted loud and clear on the side either. Just because some guy in Japan or somewhere decided it would be cool to print out all specs and then some on the back of the car doesn't mean it is a good idea. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I for one do not like badges. So call me a pretender or whatever you like. :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
on the subject of badges, I've got a spare 4.2 Quattro badge if anyone interested. Brand new £10.. PM if interested ;) Ordered for my car got two sets by mistake.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thats tempting Blade. I could stick it on the back of my 1.8 and everyone would think it was a 4.2. I bet I'd look so cool. :):):)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Thats tempting Blade. I could stick it on the back of my 1.8 and everyone would think it was a 4.2. I bet I'd look so cool. :):):)

lol....I'll do you a swop for your 1.8 badge, do you think it'll help bring my fuel consumption down ???:confused:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
lol....I'll do you a swop for your 1.8 badge, do you think it'll help bring my fuel consumption down ???:confused:
:D LOL! :D

Actually back when I was in Reading last year, near the office the in Thames Valley Park there is an M3 CSL badged as a 318, and yes it definitely was a CSL, I examined it at close range.

So maybe you could ask hime if he gets better fuel economy :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
The day A5 owners do the BMW thing and stick M sport badges to the back of poverty spec models, with exhaust the diameter of a breadstick, then the shootings must begin......

1 - 20 of 43 Posts