Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The photo shows the front tires from my RS5 after 5 track days and about 2000 street miles.

Anyone every seem this before? The excess wear is on the inside of the tire.

These are Pirelli Corsa r-compound 275/30-20.

My tech guys say that on a 4,000 lb car where 58% of the static weight is on the front I may only be able to get 5 track days out of r-compounds.

Note, I took tire temps and pressures. Temps were fairly even across the tread as they should be. Pressures were 41 PSI hot.

Theories:
1. Too much camber. Running -2.0. Tire temps were not extra high on inside so this does not see to be the problem.
2. Too much front sway bar spring rate leading to inside tire lifting in high-G corners and then spinning and grinding away.
3. Only seems to happen when I totally turn off ESC. In ESC sport mode it does not seem to happen.
4. Overdriving leading to excess understeer where the tire is sliding and grinding away.
5. Combo of the above

ANY thoughts on the above or other experiences/ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,804 Posts

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
ditto.....rears on a 1.8 cab which spends most of its time in a straight line........tracking knocked way out by "traffic calming measures".

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No ideas - but similar pattern to the failure on mine from normal road use

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-general-q/88290-tyres-current-recommendations.html#post918210
ditto.....rears on a 1.8 cab which spends most of its time in a straight line........tracking knocked way out by "traffic calming measures".
That is helpful info. My street tires are Michelin A/S3 with only about 11,000 miles and given their US-DOT UTQG Tirewear Grade of 500 vs. the 60 for the Corsa, they should last 8 times longer - on the street. Introduce the track and...pay to play.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
YES! Tyre company informed me that I was taking corners way too sharp and fast to cause this kind of damage...

Would have been dishonest to object... she loves it :lightout:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Bldy hell - time for cheapo tires and replace them every 6 months !

·
Registered
81 Posts
The photo shows the front tires from my RS5 after 5 track days and about 2000 street miles.

Anyone every seem this before? The excess wear is on the inside of the tire.

These are Pirelli Corsa r-compound 275/30-20.

My tech guys say that on a 4,000 lb car where 58% of the static weight is on the front I may only be able to get 5 track days out of r-compounds.

Note, I took tire temps and pressures. Temps were fairly even across the tread as they should be. Pressures were 41 PSI hot.

Theories:
1. Too much camber. Running -2.0. Tire temps were not extra high on inside so this does not see to be the problem.
2. Too much front sway bar spring rate leading to inside tire lifting in high-G corners and then spinning and grinding away.
3. Only seems to happen when I totally turn off ESC. In ESC sport mode it does not seem to happen.
4. Overdriving leading to excess understeer where the tire is sliding and grinding away.
5. Combo of the above

ANY thoughts on the above or other experiences/ideas?
I'm new here so forgive my being late to the game. I would answer that it was all of the above except #1 . I have never seen 2 degrees of camber be too much on an Audi. The OUTER corners of tires are more often first to go on the TT that I track and it has -3 degrees camber. Your comment about wheelspin of the inner tire when ESC is off would be the issue that I expect would be primary. Noted for when (if) I ever track my S5.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Yep I've seen it before, I saw it before and during and after. I'm surprised you have any rubber left on that car the speeds at which you drive!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep I've seen it before, I saw it before and during and after. I'm surprised you have any rubber left on that car the speeds at which you drive!
Seen metal on the same inside edge on my Bridgestone RE11's after 10 track days running 2 degrees of camber but never as wide as yours!
Reminds me not to turn off the ESC.

My theory is that even after 40 track days my skill level is still way behind the car. I use the intervention of the controls to inform me that there is a better/faster/smoother line out there and I should find it.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
come drive with rudmotorsports.com and we will get you moving faster and smoother

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know this is super late, but the only time I've seen that is when the Toe was off. I run -3 degrees of camber and get very even wear as long as my toe is in spec.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts