Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
I have an 2011 A5 Cabriolet. One of the biggest decisions i have ever made as this car was way over my budget. Granted i commute a 100miles a day, it was worth it for its cruising comfort, and i do hope to make the best out of it.

That aside...

Ever since i bought the car, i have been having trouble using the bluetooth with my celphone. The person who i am speaking with in the phone conversation can barely understand me. They compare my voice as though i sound like i'm speaking from a wind tunnel. I live in california, so a lot of my driving is on the freeways. However can it REALLY be the case that the cabriolet is not sound-proof enough to have a phone conversation? 99% of the time i get frustrated and just end up disabling the handsfree mode and continue my conversation using the celphone directly (illegal). Or I have to stretch my neck far enough towards the rear view mirror (since thats where i think the mic is, and talk to the mirror). Does anyone else encounter this? I took my car to the Audi dealership and they say it tested fine on their phones. I highly doubt they took the initiative to test on the freeway.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
BT connection can be flakey with some phones. As a first step, I would recommend you reset the BT in you car MMI (there is a Reset option in the BT menu), and also delete the pairing on your phone. Then start the whole pairing procedure over and see if that improves it. This has been shown to work quite often for this type of issue.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not quite the same i know but when i had my TT there was an issue with the mic on the car pointing the wrong way i.e. towards the passenger not the driver. This meant that whilst the actual connection was fine that the reception was poor. Visit to the dealer soted the problem very quickly although i do note that you have been down this road once already.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I assume your referring to conversations with the roof 'up' as apposed to roof down motoring. The only time I have encountered any problems at freeway speeds in this configuration is if the road is concrete rather than Tarmac. That said, I frequently call and receive calls with the roof down, and have encounter some challenges, but this is typically at 70/80 mph with the windows down as well.

Suggest you head back to the dealer and ask them to retest it as you shouldn't be encountering problems, especially with the roof up.

Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
BT connection can be flakey with some phones.
+1

I had this problem back in 2004 with a new BMW. BMW listened and agreed to replace the microphone. However, the new microphone didn't make any difference so I assumed the car's Bluetooth wasn't very good. In 2008, I got a new cell phone and presto, the sound quality was good. The original phone was a Motorola KRZR (slimed down version of the classic RAZR). The new phone was an HTC Touch Pro. The Touch Pro's sound was fine in my S5, but my new HTC EVO Shift is a little better and it does the Bluetooth connection stuff more consistently (the Touch Pro sometimes didn't answer or connect or transferred only part of the phone book, etc.). Of course, sometimes you just get a bad connection that has nothing to do with the Bluetooth. Whenever I have someone say they are having trouble hearing me, we just hang-up/recall and all is OK.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. For the record my celphone-bluetooth problem occurs when my convertible roof is up (in other words when i am not in convertible mode). I will try the following:
1) experiment with a different phone.
2) try to locate where the mic's are in order to see if they are positioned/facing the wrong direction. <--- would anyone know where the mic's are positioned?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue. I pushed on the microphone one night thinking it was the button for the reading lamp. I wonder if I pushed it in and broke it.
I assume the little hole with the furry material right behind the reading lamp is the mic. Not positive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am having this same issue. I didnt have it before, but now seems to be a problem. I am going to try to reset the connection and then if that fails, bring it into the dealer. A little disappointed that I have to deal with something like this.

·
Registered
852 Posts
BT in my A5 Cab is crystal clear. I have held several conversations with my wife, top down at 70 MPH, and she can hear me just fine. Impressive!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Force-1. Was wondering what kind of phone you are using. When you speak, are you facing your mouth upwards towards the mic?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thank you Force-1. Was wondering what kind of phone you are using. When you speak, are you facing your mouth upwards towards the mic?
Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G.

I don't face toward the mic when speaking--straight ahead through windshield.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the EXACT SAME problem. I have replaced the microphone $400 and still no better. 3 times to the dealer. My car is a 2010 A5 Cabriolet. Dealer told me the same thing - tested fine in the service department. I am going back to them again and making them take it on the highway. I will bet the microphone was not faulty in the first place and I spent $400 for nothing. I am not happy!! since I have bought the car from this dealer as a certified pre-owned car about 3 months ago.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the EXACT SAME problem. I have replaced the microphone $400 and still no better. 3 times to the dealer. My car is a 2010 A5 Cabriolet. Dealer told me the same thing - tested fine in the service department. I am going back to them again and making them take it on the highway. I will bet the microphone was not faulty in the first place and I spent $400 for nothing. I am not happy!! since I have bought the car from this dealer as a certified pre-owned car about 3 months ago.
It's very frustrating. Seems the dealer tests the mic under perfect environments: low speed, smooth road surface, parking lot environment. I don't even think they drive it longer than 30 seconds enough to experience the drowning of the voice (who knows if they even switch the engine on!). Noone can understand me when I am on bluetooth and actually prefer i "just call them when i get home". My issues occur most when i am driving on the freeways, and the road noise is higher. Seems the mic prefers the road noise over me.
It's just the one of many Audi issues I had to live with. $55k car and i can't even talk to someone on the phone. Sad that the mic on a toyota corolla seems to work better than the Audi's.
I would keep pounding them that the issue is not working. Maybe even have someone record you while you're driving and speaking to them, just so Audi knows what the average "conversation" sounds like. Or better yet, call Audi while your driving, and if they say "excuse me sir, I can't understand you", say "EXACTLY!"

·
Registered
619 Posts
There are settings within the hidden engineering mode in the MMI for the BT setup, and I'm sure some of those involve the Mic settings. I would suggest going back to the dealer getting one of their techs in the car with you and go for a drive on roads and conditions that you know cause the issues and then demonstrate your issue.

I'm pretty sure if it's not a connection issue as mentioned above then it's a setting issue. I say this because I have recently been in a 2012 A5 cab while the driver was on a Conf call and it was perfectly clear from both sides and we were driving at 70mph on the horrible concrete roads in Houston.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts