Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Test drive went well! Not a massive change but definitely noticeable. Makes me want more now though ?
Yeah that's it, it won't make it into go-kart steering, just adds a little something, that adds to the driving experience.

For me, I'm surprised at the difference stiffening the torsional rigidity between the 2 strut towers makes, even at low speeds. :)

To me, it makes the steering feels heavier/chunkier and I'm sure has eliminated the tram-lining.

Be interesting to see if it makes the same or more, less of a difference for those with Dynamic steering and rear diff!?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Test drive went well! Not a massive change but definitely noticeable. Makes me want more now though ?
Well you could look at stiffening the lower brace as @Pulsarlaser has done? Or whip out your wallet for £1000 on a billet aluminium brace from 034 Motorsport? :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can't wait to open my present, thanks Santa Dave

Will report back on install when I get round to it.

Sent from a mobile device (like you even care)

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Which make is it? I started using EZ car care last year and got, snow foam lance, ceramic shampoo, waxes, interior stuff, alloy wax, hydrophobic spray for the engine bay etc - good stuff!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Which make is it? I started using EZ car care last year and got, snow foam lance, ceramic shampoo, waxes, interior stuff, alloy wax, hydrophobic spray for the engine bay etc - good stuff!
I've got a mish mash of stuff, mainly Bilt Hamber.

I've been watching Forensic Detailing on YouTube for guidance/recommendations

Got some EZ wheel brushes on the way.

Sent from a mobile device (like you even care)

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Dave mate will these fit to my old B6 S4 please.......

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
But as I got the S4 JUST before the world went mad I have hardly driven her yet sob........................see my latest post here
Well, my old Audi S4 requires some good old TLC..
I came from a 2004 B6 S4 Avant.

Lovely drive apart from the predictable under steer.

Spent too much money keeping it on the road, main financial hit was £900+ to replace a snapped Alt. belt (whole front had to come off). Towards the end all the bushes had perished and rear shocks gave up the ghost.

Finally had to sell her when she developed misfires on one side that was just too costly to fix.

[Sent from a mobile device (like you even care)]

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Dave mate will these fit to my old B6 S4 please.......
I would take a guess and say no, but without having a B6 to hand, I couldn't say for sure. It would be a case of try and see! I remember the understeer on mine, if you suddenly tried to turn sharply, it just sort of scrubbed in a diagonal line. :)

I too had a B6 Avant before the A5 3.0 TDi. It was the 1.9tdi and had done 130k miles when I traded it in for the A5. It was running well when I sold it, but had the usual suspension clunks from all those arms. I believe the B8 is much more robust on that side. I've checked and I think it is being used as taxi now as 30k miles ayear were being put on it from the MOT history. It was on 230k miles when it was last mot'd back in Oct 2019!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just fitted mine and was a quick and easy job. I'd say on my car the hole needed to be about 0.5 to 1mm further out, but with a bit of persuasion it went on. For such a simple thing, certainly a complex amount of cut outs needed to avoid existing bits and pieces, well done Dave some good engineering here.

IMG_20200425_162223.jpg

Not driven it yet, but looking forward to it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fitted mine today with my 16 yo son (trying to get him interested) . Well let's say it wasn't a 10 minute job.

1st I stupidly dropped the washer and couldn't retrieve it with out undoing and moving a few things. Lucky my son has smaller hands than me and was able to just squeeze his hand in. So I was of to a great start .

Next the holes for the lugs were a little bit out for my car, not massive but 1-2 mm. I've got minimal tools, so had to ask the old boy over the road for a file. Luckily he used to be a instrument maker back in the day so has a shed full of a wide array of tools, vices, grind stones etc. So I borrowed a round file, opened the lug holes up and the bar slid on.

Next thing I discovered is my 13mm socket just wouldn't fit in the holes, another 1mm I would say. So back to the old boys shed to file out the socket holes. Jesus, with only about an inch of file to work with I built up quite the sweat filing to holes larger.

Back to the car, bar fitted, nuts on & tightened, rubber and scuttle cover on, close bonnet, search for beer.

P.S. Excuse the leaves and flowers

[Sent from a mobile device (like you even care)]

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. Yeah, was that a half inch drive socket? The 1/4 inch drive socket has more room. :)

I was going to either enlarge the holes or elongate them to give them a little more play!

Apologies for these little bits of modification you had to do. I guess this is the disadvantage of hand making them and not being done on a CNC machine, but then again, this would add to the cost of making them and the overall price.

They do look like some simple holes and cuts, but as I and you found, it does require some extra fine measurements and some effort and sweat, especially if the weather is warm! :)

In my next batch, I will bear this in mind and use a larger hole saw!

Glad you got them to fit!

I have MKII waiting in the wings which should eliminate these in discrepancies. ;)

Looking forward to hear the test drives! (y)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Totally appreciate the effort and quality here Dave, I certainly don't have the skill or patience to make these.

For me only minor issues, nothing to worry about, but if you are making them again, then this is just feedback to factor in.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts