Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you are aware, I am making a batch of the strut bar Audi used to fit to models like the S2 - freont strut brace - S2Forum - The Audi S2 Community

I'm about half way through fabricating them, just waiting on paint and some attaching parts. Hoping for sending out before Easter this weekend, but due to current situation with Corona virus, I might not get some parts until the end of the week so may be pushed into next week.

Here are some taster pics

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How does this differ from the CR-15 brace (or is it the same)?
It's similar as it fits in the same position and has the holes and cut outs to accommodate the parts/items along the OE L shaped pressed metal strut bar. But I haven't seen the CR-15 bar. It is from the bar that was fitted to the S2. It will be made for RHD cars though, but can easily be modified to fit a LHD. I was thinking of making the bars universal so they fit both LHD and RHD, It is only the cut out for the brake reservoir that denotes it being a LHD or RHD.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great news Dave, looking good. What gauge/thickness bar are you using?

I'll start list of customers:

1. cadguy77

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great news Dave, looking good. What gauge/thickness bar are you using?

I'll start list of customers:

1. cadguy77
It is 10swg (3.3mm) 6082-T6 aluminium so fairly chunky. :)
I was considering using a round bar at 4.6mm thick then you wouldn't need as many holes and cut outs! But the issue then would be the ends, when squashed, like some versions of the S2 bar, is the length of the stud on the strut tower. :)
Send me a PM and I'll make a list. (y)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Many takers so far?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, 3 others and some possibles.

Lot more work has gone into them than I originally thought! Finally painted them today in textured matt black. Just waiting on the washers, which should be here in the next day or so. Just drawn up some fitting instructions. I've done 5 bars for the B8 and 5 for the B8.5. The difference is the end where the screen wash bottle is on the B8 (pre-face lift 2007-2012). I need to confirm the B8 fitment. My neighbour has a B8 RS5, so may take a 2 metre stick for distance and ask him for a look at his! :)

I'll PM you for details to send you a B8 Bar this coming week! :)

Here they are ready and the template bar fitted to my car.
20200412_174312.jpg 20200412_170222.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Stamp your trademark on and jobs a goodun

I'll take a B8.5 pls

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah was thinking of calling it a B8-Bar!? Sounds like a Wonka bar! :D
Or DK Tuning bar :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
DK tuning sounds good

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As you can, or cannot see, it is very stealthy and hardly noticed when fitted!

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I reckon these will fly once word gets out. You better prepare for mass production

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Already considering a MKII bar, for if I need to make more, more easily. ;)

·
Registered
487 Posts
They look great Dave and if I hadn't just been told I've got to take a pay cut I'd have one.
Looks like it might be a nice little sideline for you.
Maybe I'll have a mk11 from you in the future. ?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aw no that's a bummer! :( It's supposed to be the lockdown review today, otherwise, like yourself, the economic casualties are going to increase the longer this goes on. I'll see how they sell and I'll always be able to make extra for when you are in a position to buy one!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts