Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 2013 S5 Coupe and just trying to iron out a few potential issues.

The car had a full service on the 1st June 2022. Car has since then covered 597 miles.

The one thing I didn’t do when checking over the vehicle before purchase was to check the oil level. It’s showing as around 60% on the MMI, does this seem normal?

My previous A5 was a 2.0 TDi and the oil level never moved on that car but this being a 3.0T I guess I can expect some consumption but does this seem right?

See image attached;

Automotive design Car Personal luxury car Vehicle Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm not an authority on this, but the way my b8 s5 shows oil really threw me!

It seems the oil measure in the mmi monitors the top 1ltr of oil.
What I mean by this is that say your car needs 7ltrs, it will show max at 7ltrs and min at 6ltrs.

This confused me cos I got to a point where mine showed "min" on the gauge but with the message "refill 1ltr max". What I now understand this to mean is "put in 1 ltr you're a bit low".

How I know this is that the first time this happened I panicked as I saw "min" googled how much the car needed to be full and tried to put several litres back in. It then said I was over max (I'd added about 1.5-2litres).

Yours is newer so maybe it's different but hopefully the info helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not an authority on this, but the way my b8 s5 shows oil really threw me!

It seems the oil measure in the mmi monitors the top 1ltr of oil.
What I mean by this is that say your car needs 7ltrs, it will show max at 7ltrs and min at 6ltrs.

This confused me cos I got to a point where mine showed "min" on the gauge but with the message "refill 1ltr max". What I now understand this to mean is "put in 1 ltr you're a bit low".

How I know this is that the first time this happened I panicked as I saw "min" googled how much the car needed to be full and tried to put several litres back in. It then said I was over max (I'd added about 1.5-2litres).

Yours is newer so maybe it's different but hopefully the info helps.
Yes now you’ve said that I do remember seeing a similar comment previously. It’s not very accurate either from what I can gather which is why a lot of owners have bought dip sticks.

For now I’m going to just keep an eye on it and see whether it drops more over a short period. I have a feeling it just may not have been filled to max at its last service.

Thanks for your help 👍🏼

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Dougie, you may not be an authority but it doesn't stop you being right.
That's the way it is. Nowt better than a dipstick, level ground and a cold engine, and topping up bit by bit till it's full.

But apparently we want everything now, or sooner. Hence expensive shittery rather than a tuppenny stick. And percentages confuse everyone without understanding references.

E.g.. You need new brake pads, yours are 70% worn and as a safety item they need to be replaced. Err no...... They have lasted 60k miles so they have probably got around 25k left. Lets look again in 20k miles.

Reactions: Domm

·
Registered
82 Posts
As a side point, because I was confused and googled it, people said get a dipstick. I thought great, got one and replaced the plug with.

However for me, that then meant the auto / mmi reading never showed me anything. So I have the dipstick but haven't replaced the tiny plug thing for day to day use.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
@Domm - if you didn't check the oil level before why do you think it has dropped?

Yes the 3.0TFSI can "use" oil and if it does it usually points to a faulty PCV. Does the oil filler cap come off easily or is there vacuum holding it down?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Domm - if you didn't check the oil level before why do you think it has dropped?

Yes the 3.0TFSI can "use" oil and if it does it usually points to a faulty PCV. Does the oil filler cap come off easily or is there vacuum holding it down?
Because it was only recently serviced, inspection + oil change on 1/6/22 and has since only covered just under 600 miles. I would have thought the reading should still show full or near too it within that time frame and miles covered?

I haven’t touched the engine as yet so will have to come back to you on the oil cap!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I too would assume that after the oil change the reading would have been 100% but without knowing for sure you are just guessing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My 14 uses about a quart in 5k miles. I have had it for 5 years and 100k mi. BUT as I leaned during the pandemic it is dependent on the type of driving. Normally with commuting to work, 30 mi, it is 60% highway plus misc road trips, and stop/go. During the pandemic, working from home and minimal highway driving, I used little to no oil between 7k changes. I thought my MMI was broken (bought a dipstick to verify). Nope did not use oil. Now that I have been back to work, burn rate is back to using a quart. Just added 1 qt the other day at around 5k.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just checked again this evening after a short drive, engine warm. It’s now gone up to around 70% full.

I guess it’s just not very reliable as people have said on previous posts!

Automotive design Mode of transport Personal luxury car Auto part Vehicle

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think you maybe worrying for no reason. The only way to be 100% sure is you personally filled the oil at a service and then monitor.
How do you think us guys with the legendary 2.0 CDNC engine sleep at night. I had the same fear when bought the car. It was only after I changed the oil myself and monitored the oil consumption over next 6 months. I get close to 2000 miles before a 1L needed which is decent for my trouble engine :)

Also I don't 100% rely on the sensor..installed the dipstick

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to replace the valve cover gaskets on my 2014 S5 earlier this year at ~68,000 miles. My mechanic said this repair is not uncommon for this motor. There is a pan under the motor that will catch the oil leak, so you won't see it on your garage floor.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had to replace the valve cover gaskets on my 2014 S5 earlier this year at ~68,000 miles. My mechanic said this repair is not uncommon for this motor. There is a pan under the motor that will catch the oil leak, so you won't see it on your garage floor.
Handy to know mate, cheers. Keeping an eye on it at the minute. All seems okay at the moment but if it drops anymore over the coming weeks I will get it looked at. 👍🏼

1 - 20 of 20 Posts