Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the B&O system sound without having MMI. And if possible has anyone one heard both B&O w/ and w/out MMI?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dunno, but I've got the B&O with MMI and I can't say I'm too happy.

Apparently customers with the B&O + MMI wouldn't want to override the power of the subwoofer, whereas people with the Audi sound system would.

I'm living in hope for a system update to fix this obvious flaw.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
What problem do you have with it Withnail? I have the B&O with MMI and I think it sounds really good, admittedly I'd like a bit more bass but overall I'm happy with the sound?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dunno, but I've got the B&O with MMI and I can't say I'm too happy.

Apparently customers with the B&O + MMI wouldn't want to override the power of the subwoofer, whereas people with the Audi sound system would.

I'm living in hope for a system update to fix this obvious flaw.
You made absolutely no sense.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Anyone want some bass from my B&O system? I seem to be running on all cylinders, and I am perfectly happy with the sound coming out of the stereo.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Anyone want some bass from my B&O system? I seem to be running on all cylinders, and I am perfectly happy with the sound coming out of the stereo.
Hi Sgt,

I have to agree, apparently...there is a mixed lot of results. With mine, I can't take the bass adjustment over the 2 or 3 o'clock position or it sounds like I am in a sub woofer competition. But there are a few people that don't seem to have very much sub woofer response. I am guessing there may be an issue with sub woofer amps in certain cars.

I have given a few people (members of the forum) a demo of mine and they always say wow! Sizzle had the problem with no bass, and it turns out that his sub was never producing sound.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
audiballin:

Withnail made a lot of sense. :) While the B&O adds further surround processing settings in cars with MMI/navigation compared to non-MMI cars, B&O always lacks (in both MMI and non-MMI cars) separate subwoofer adjustment settings.

The Audi sound system on the other hand does offer subwoofer adjustment settings, it would be logical that a pricier B&O would too (in Europe there are three sound system options: standard, Audi sound system and the priciest B&O - in the U.S. I guess Audi sound system - rumoured to be by Bose - is standard.)

·
Registered
536 Posts
There is no bass, treble and balance dials on the S5 with B&O, even with MMI? That totally blows. (BTW, Firefox is run my Nazis, its spell checker lists Goebbels as the recommendation for trebbel, lol)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
audiballin:

Withnail made a lot of sense. :) While the B&O adds further surround processing settings in cars with MMI/navigation compared to non-MMI cars, B&O always lacks (in both MMI and non-MMI cars) separate subwoofer adjustment settings.

The Audi sound system on the other hand does offer subwoofer adjustment settings, it would be logical that a pricier B&O would too (in Europe there are three sound system options: standard, Audi sound system and the priciest B&O - in the U.S. I guess Audi sound system - rumoured to be by Bose - is standard.)
Thanks for the clear up. Is the difference between the sound processing with MMI and that without MMI huge??

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks for the clear up. Is the difference between the sound processing with MMI and that without MMI huge??
I believe its the same as one of the settings, you just don't have to option to change it. Which is weird because MMI is standard, so there should be no reason not to have that ability if you got B&O and didn't get nav.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I believe its the same as one of the settings, you just don't have to option to change it. Which is weird because MMI is standard, so there should be no reason not to have that ability if you got B&O and didn't get nav.
Yes there is a very good reason: MMI is not standard. Only a radio is standard with MMI-like operating logic and screen. The actual MMI (that comes with navi) is a whole different beast and thus the B&O difference is technically quite reasonable.

The whole story:

Difference between standard radio Concert/Symphony and the optional DVD navigation's MMI controls in B8 platform Audi A4 and A5
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a4a5realmmi.html

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I haven't heard both so I wouldn't know if it is huge, but people have reported a difference. Without MMI/navi you won't get the full surround settings and the car processes/transfers audio analogically as opposed to digitally with MMI/navi which probably results in some audible difference.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is no bass, treble and balance dials on the S5 with B&O, even with MMI? That totally blows. (BTW, Firefox is run my Nazis, its spell checker lists Goebbels as the recommendation for trebbel, lol)
There are adjustments for bass, treble, balance etc in the MMI on my 2009 S5 with B&O. There's no equalizer, but there certainly are the basic controls mentioned above. I was just messing around with them tonight as a matter of fact! :)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There are adjustments for bass, treble, balance etc in the MMI on my 2009 S5 with B&O. There's no equalizer, but there certainly are the basic controls mentioned above. I was just messing around with them tonight as a matter of fact! :)
I could be wrong on this one, but the point is that Audi sound system has a separate control for subwoofer too which the B&O does not?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I could be wrong on this one, but the point is that Audi sound system has a separate control for subwoofer too which the B&O does not?
Well, bass pretty much covers the subwoofer. It's not as good as a dedicated sub control, but close enough for me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Loc is right, the fact that the much cheaper 'Audi Sound System' gets a subwoofer dial (seperate from Bass) and the B&O gets nothing, is why I am annoyed..

I feel generally my B&O system struggles to deliver Bass.
My door speakers seem to be doing most of the work (then at higher volumes start vibrating - natch), whereas my subwoofer never seems to be make much effort.

I've played back a Bass heavy track, and almost climbed into the boot/trunk to hear and feel the subwoofer. Although the subwoofer is on, it is certainly not 'carrying' the low end Bass for the system, nor is it displacing much air. (I could only feel some vibration, not the 'puff' effect you would expect.

It wouldn't matter so much if these things were tuneable via the DSP.
But that's another bag of worms.
Three different settings!? How long were B&O working on this? Half a morning with a couple of long tea-breaks inbetween?

To say I'm feeling short changed from this system would be an understatement

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes there is a very good reason: MMI is not standard. Only a radio is standard with MMI-like operating logic and screen. The actual MMI (that comes with navi) is a whole different beast and thus the B&O difference is technically quite reasonable.

The whole story:

Difference between standard radio Concert/Symphony and the optional DVD navigation's MMI controls in B8 platform Audi A4 and A5
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a4a5realmmi.html
Yes, I knew that, and I also know that when you get MMI, its actually uses a different bus system to send the music to the B&O speakers then if you get the B&O without advance MMI and Nav (I dunno if bus system is the word, but it has a different method of transferring the sound to the speakers.. I think its all digital with MMI/Nav and not without.) However, someone called B&O, and asked if it was even possible to have those symphony type options on the car without the digital bus, and they said it was possible, but Audi didn't put it in. I understand that if you don't get nav, that you get a stripped out version of MMI, but there is still a controller knob, and still an LCD screen, and the bus system supports it, so I don't see why Audi didn't put those features in non nav cars with B&O. Maybe it was too expensive, and they didnt bother to spend the time since most people getting B&O would probably be getting nav anyways. I just hope the B&O sounds as good, if not better than the HK Logic 7 in my dads S550, and in my buddys new 335 BMW.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts