Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the B&O system sounds quite good. However when you try to max it out, it does not go any higher.

On my old Porsche the Bose system would go as high as you wanted it, to the point of distortion.. However this systems seems to have a limit... Anyone else experience this? or do I need to further tweak some settings..?

Thanks All

G

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ok, so the B&O system sounds quite good. However when you try to max it out, it does not go any higher.

On my old Porsche the Bose system would go as high as you wanted it, to the point of distortion.. However this systems seems to have a limit... Anyone else experience this? or do I need to further tweak some settings..?

Thanks All

G
Why would you want to drive it to distortion? If you need your system to play at rock-concert levels you should perhaps make an appointment with an audiologist to see if something needs attention:eek:
Also I wonder what you are driving it with. CD or MP3. MP3 or equivalent will certainly degrade the audio quality and no amount of tweaking will get it back.
Anyway have fun with the audio, but don't make your ears bleed:eek:

·
Registered
636 Posts

Thanks All

G
Know what you mean. I can't find any way round it.

What bugs me is when the bass line stops and the volume jumps up, then drops down when the bass starts again.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Surely the Porsche system couldn't go as high as you wanted it...it must have had some sort of maximum output. You can't just keep turning it up forever.

"We've reached Shuttle Main Engine decibel levels....let's go one higher!"

·
Registered
231 Posts
i think you guys must be listening via AMI.

when i listen to a good quality CD/MP3 CD on my B&O it goes very loud with no distortion or issues. i usually cant take how loud it is

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I agree - my head hurts and I fear for my eardrums when I have CD output maxed out. My girlfriend usually starts crying and is then sick.

Gio, you need one of those old-fashioned stereos where the volume knob turned between seven o'clock and five o'clock. When it got to five o'clock, you could just keep turning until it snapped off, and then you could feel satisfied it had nothing more to give.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Just keep turning that knob. If it gets painful, I find that some cotton wool or workmans ear defenders help make it more comfortable. ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
I wonder just how much difference there is, if any, to the sound quality of the B&O system when the car doesn't have satnav?

We know there are extra settings available with MMI that you don't get with AIS, so I wonder if this is perhaps enough to cause a big enough difference?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm with Gio and Jock on this one. I have been surprised that the B&O cops out well before it gets really loud (e.g. I'd expect that loose objects would vibrate a bit). What I have found is that messing with the Gala settings can make the max volume even louder - try taking Gala off Auto and the volume jumps even though it was already at max. I also find it quite interesting that there's no relative volume scale e.g. 0 to 10 (or on my A3 0-29 which always struck me as rather random).

I don't have sat nav so maybe there is a theme here.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm with Gio and Jock on this one. I have been surprised that the B&O cops out well before it gets really loud (e.g. I'd expect that loose objects would vibrate a bit). What I have found is that messing with the Gala settings can make the max volume even louder - try taking Gala off Auto and the volume jumps even though it was already at max. I also find it quite interesting that there's no relative volume scale e.g. 0 to 10 (or on my A3 0-29 which always struck me as rather random).

I don't have sat nav so maybe there is a theme here.
Strange...I have read a few instances where people complained about amplifier problems...perhaps you are experiencing said amp issues? I have sat/nav and the B&O and I will tell you that it goes well above a safe volume level w/out bass cut out. I actually tried it while standing outside of my car tonight.

For those of you with the bass cut out issue, this sounds very reminiscent of the bass amp problems that have been discussed a few times on this forum and audiworld.

I would consider taking it to the dealer for a look see.

Good luck!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I was playing Phatom of The Opera (Andrew Lloyd Webber) and I couldn't max it out for fear of blowing my ears out. 12 speakers HURT! At 80%, the cars next to me just roll up their windows! But the vocals are CLEAR!

So much better than my 200W Pioneer from 2001!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Why would you want to put it to the point of distortion anyway? that there is the sign of a poor quality system if it lets you do that. And it'll sound horrible if you go to the point of distortion.

Clearly there's a set limit on the volume so stop damage to the speakers and amp. And to be honest, the B&O system does go pretty high for there not to be a single bit of distortion.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Lastnight i downloaded some tunes from apples itunes shop. burnt them on a CD and the volume is definitely limited to the other CDs i usually play.

so when comparing guys lets all use a manufactured CD

·
Registered
147 Posts
As I mentioned earlier the rate limiting step is always going to be initially from the input signal. If digital compression has been applied (perhaps several times) to allow for limited hard-drive or flash capacity and to make downloading feasible with usual data rates; there is bound to be a loss of dynamic range. I assume that this will effect both frequency and amplitude parameters. After all information is energy and you cannot create energy from nothing.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Strange...I have read a few instances where people complained about amplifier problems...perhaps you are experiencing said amp issues? I have sat/nav and the B&O and I will tell you that it goes well above a safe volume level w/out bass cut out. I actually tried it while standing outside of my car tonight.

For those of you with the bass cut out issue, this sounds very reminiscent of the bass amp problems that have been discussed a few times on this forum and audiworld.

I would consider taking it to the dealer for a look see.

Good luck!
Just another FYI...I almost exclusively use the Ipod adapter to play my music but I also get the same (very loud) volume playing ripped MP3s from a flash memory stick and also from an MP3 cd in the player.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Reading this thread, some options/ideas/things to try out that may explain what is going on:

1. GALA. If the GALA microphone is on, it may limit the B&O output based on what it is "hearing". Try turning GALA off.

2. MP3s vs. CDs. Is it possible that MP3s played from Audi Music Interface, MP3 CD or Concert/Symphony SD card impose volume limitations regardless of B&O. Try testing with a CD.

3. Sat-nav vs. no sat-nav. Cars without sat-nav use analogue line-outs from the radio to the B&O amp, with sat-nav the car uses digital MOST fiber-optic transport. Compare B&O on sat-nav and non-sat-nav cars if possible, to see are they different.

So, anyone with this problem, try turning GALA off, test with a CD audio source (not an MP3 CD, a "normal" one bought from a store) and report whether or not you have sat-nav or not?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just for the record... I don't like hearing music distort... The point I was making was that the highest setting on the stereo does not seem incredibly loud, as it did within my Porsche. Once you reach that point, it sounds like it could go more... Maybe something wrong system, or I am loosing my hearing...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Has anyone tried to retrofit a B&O system into a A5/S5 that didn't come with it from the factory???

Just curious.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just for the record... I don't like hearing music distort... The point I was making was that the highest setting on the stereo does not seem incredibly loud, as it did within my Porsche. Once you reach that point, it sounds like it could go more... Maybe something wrong system, or I am loosing my hearing...
Gio_1 can you try these steps and report if they help or change anything:

Reading this thread, some options/ideas/things to try out that may explain what is going on:

1. GALA. If the GALA microphone is on, it may limit the B&O output based on what it is "hearing". Try turning GALA off.

2. MP3s vs. CDs. Is it possible that MP3s played from Audi Music Interface, MP3 CD or Concert/Symphony SD card impose volume limitations regardless of B&O. Try testing with a CD.

3. Sat-nav vs. no sat-nav. Cars without sat-nav use analogue line-outs from the radio to the B&O amp, with sat-nav the car uses digital MOST fiber-optic transport. Compare B&O on sat-nav and non-sat-nav cars if possible, to see are they different.

So, anyone with this problem, try turning GALA off, test with a CD audio source (not an MP3 CD, a "normal" one bought from a store) and report whether or not you have sat-nav or not?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts