Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys experience that the B&O speakers changes volume and shifting from left to right or front to back while driving?

Its has been very annoying.:confused:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yes, you'll notice changes in volume when you have GALA set to 'On'. It's designed to automatically adjust volume based upon background road noise. And yes, it can be quite annoying at times (although I haven't experienced the sound shifting you described, only volume changes).

Set it to 'Off' by going to Sound > B+O Settings > GALA

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply, but I do have GALA off already,

Come to think of it i think it only occurs when I listen to FM radio, I know that bad reception on FM only cause static not speaker shifting. Any Audiophiles in this forum?

·
Registered
231 Posts
thanks for your reply, but I do have GALA off already,

Come to think of it i think it only occurs when I listen to FM radio, I know that bad reception on FM only cause static not speaker shifting. Any Audiophiles in this forum?
i think its when your car is getting a poor signal and switiching between mono and stereo sounds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On some HD FM broadcasts in the Dallas area sometimes one channel (left or right) will be really faint and this can make the song sound really strange. For instance, a guitar riff coming out of the left side is almost discernable.

If I turn the HD setting to OFF, then, the balance of the song comes back.

Also, sometimes an HD signal will just completely fall off (no sound) temporarily. Digital is sometimes all or nothing.

I think HD Radio is currently a failure.

·
Registered
123 Posts
On some HD FM broadcasts in the Dallas area sometimes one channel (left or right) will be really faint and this can make the song sound really strange. For instance, a guitar riff coming out of the left side is almost discernable.

If I turn the HD setting to OFF, then, the balance of the song comes back.

Also, sometimes an HD signal will just completely fall off (no sound) temporarily. Digital is sometimes all or nothing.

I think HD Radio is currently a failure.
I have the same thing happen with mine listening to HD radio here in San Diego. I agree that it seems to be the signal coming in and out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did some layman's research on the web and emailed with an engineer at Clear Channel radio about HD radio issues (let me know if anyone wants me to post his reply). I'll spare us all the details, but, the bottom line is that HD radio is still in a fledgling state and the quality depends on the broadcast signal strength and the quality of the radio receiver. Also, it seems that stations are NOT putting much power into those secondary and tertiary HD broadcasts (HD2 & HD3), so, they tend to have more of the problems we are posting about on this board.

For ICHIBANS, go into your Radio settings and turn HD to OFF, so, you will only get the analog signal. If it was already off and you had problems then it's a trip to Audi service for a test that may yield no results ("Nope, sorry sir, everything checked out fine! You're SOL."). Anyway, if you experienced those problems on and HD broadcast they may dissappear. The problems you describe often occur on HD broadcasts when the signals fade in and out and the radio automatically tries to deal with the problem. If an HD signal is weak enough the radio will even automatically switch between analog and HD causing all kinds of balance issues.

The Left/Right channel issue will be more apparent on songs with strong use of left and right stereo effects. A classic rock station in Dallas (92.5) always plays The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" which is one of these strong L/R songs. In HD, the organ at the first of the song that sounds like a British siren is barely audible and makes the song sound "echo-ie", but, if I switch the HD OFF the organ comes through fine and the song sounds normal.

So, try HD OFF.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i think its when your car is getting a poor signal and switiching between mono and stereo sounds.
This same situation happens to me, I second the thought of Stereo in and out because it usually happens in the smae areas of town.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts