Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I am dropping my car off at the Audi Service shop where they will be installing my AWE downpipes and B&B exhaust for $150.00!! After they offered to take care of the job, I realized this may be beneficial incase I ever come upon any warranty issues.

I will have the spacers and coilovers installed by another performance shop on Thursday, and will have everyone updated with pictures and video by friday!

Cant WAIT!!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sounds awesome! I'm looking forward to the pictures and videos!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Cool! Welcome to the B&B exhaust club. :)

I'll be particularly interested to hear your opinion about how the downpipes impact the sound. Hopefully you won't have any significant cabin drone as a result of installing AWE downpipes like some other folks have reported.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
it sure will..i've ridden in my friend's cls55, the cabin drone makes me wanna puke
Did your friend have a B&B exhaust and AWE downpipes and a manual transmission on a naturally aspirated CLS55?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TX, can you explain cabin drone?, and what I should expect after the exhaust settles and becomes even louder?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Cabin drone (or "boom" as some folks call it) is the sound frequency of the exhaust you hear inside the car with the windows rolled up. Depending upon the exhaust manufacturer, this drone can be quite annoying and typically only occurs within a certain RPM range. A couple of members on here have reported a rather big boom with their Stasis exhaust. (Example)

However, the B&B exhaust installed on my S5 does not have that annoying boom that some Stasis exhaust owners have reported. Admittedly, after getting my B&B exhaust installed, I have noticed a slight cabin drone between 1800-2000 RPMs. But, it is nowhere close to being annoying, and I now consider it to be a pleasant sound. In fact, it seems to have become less noticeable over time. I think it just took some getting used to since I was already accustomed to the stock exhaust sound inside the car.

But, since you're combining yours with AWE downpipes, that adds a new variable into the equation. No one has done that combo before, so that's why I'm curious to know the outcome. The AWE downpipes combined with either an AWE or Milltek exhaust are known to result in a big cabin drone (to the point of being so unbearable that the downpipes were removed by one person I know). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the downpipes added on to your setup won't result in any annoying drone inside the cabin.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
The AWE downpipes combined with either an AWE or Milltek exhaust are known to result in a big cabin drone (to the point of being so unbearable that the downpipes were removed by one person I know)
I can only comment on the AWE with AWE downpipes but it's not as bad aa that at all, i've had my mum, dad and granny all experience it and they are more likely than any to hate that but none have had any issues at all.

Were the downpipes not removed from a non-Res Miltek with AWE downpipes to cause the really bad drone?

1800rpm - 2000rpm slight drone you experience is something that happens with all the 4.2 V8s that Audi produces be it for the S5 or RS4 when an aftermarket exhaust is added.

TX, can you explain cabin drone?, and what I should expect after the exhaust settles and becomes even louder?
My exhaust actually sounds quieter now than when I first got it, but i'm sure that's just down to the fact that i'm use to it now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice. I was charged $200 by my dealership to install my AWE. One question though: Do you have to pull the engine to install the downpipes? The mechanic told me he was going to have to before he realized that it was cat back only. Sounds a little drastic for downpipes.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Nice. I was charged $200 by my dealership to install my AWE. One question though: Do you have to pull the engine to install the downpipes? The mechanic told me he was going to have to before he realized that it was cat back only. Sounds a little drastic for downpipes.
No you don't need to pull the engine at all to install downpipes, are you sure he doesn't think your trying to install a manifold in which case it would be require an engine pull.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
The AWE/AWE combo, in my opinion, is pretty loud. I grew up driving a '91 Mustang with off road exhaust and the S5 with the AWE setup is louder. I can handle the noise, but unfortunately some of my passengers get a little disturbed by the drone. I just make THEM drive the next time....

BTW - off topic - Tide, are you down at FTCKY?

·
Registered
40 Posts
No you don't need to pull the engine at all to install downpipes, are you sure he doesn't think your trying to install a manifold in which case it would be require an engine pull.
Maybe he did. I thought that sounded a little wacky when he told me that.

BTW - off topic - Tide, are you down at FTCKY?
Yep. Just drove to work to find class was cancelled. Summer tires in snow/ice = REALLY BAD IDEA. I'm from AL though so I've never really had to drive in this stuff on a regular basis.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi all, Well you can add another B&B exchaust to the list. I just purchased mine today and Mark said it would be ready in a day or two!
Hell of a nice change from the run around I am still getting from GMG. The whole purchase only took two emails and a IMT. Can't help but smile at how easy it was and then wonder how GMG failed miserably in the whole deal. I realize that dealing internationally can be hard sometimes where timezones are so different but surely ( as seen from B&B ) it can't be that hard.:)

Now I just have to wait for the bloody thing to get to Australia!!!! Hope FedEx can do it reasonably quickly:D

BTW I went for the X-pipe version

·
Registered
432 Posts
Congrats Ben! Please post a video when you get a chance. I'm still trying to decide which route I want to go.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Will do, however being so far away from the states I know from experience that the original quoted time for shipping is always WAY off. All I can do is twiddle my thumbs and hope it arrives sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hi all, Well you can add another B&B exchaust to the list. I just purchased mine today and Mark said it would be ready in a day or two!
Hell of a nice change from the run around I am still getting from GMG. The whole purchase only took two emails and a IMT. Can't help but smile at how easy it was and then wonder how GMG failed miserably in the whole deal. I realize that dealing internationally can be hard sometimes where timezones are so different but surely ( as seen from B&B ) it can't be that hard.:)

Now I just have to wait for the bloody thing to get to Australia!!!! Hope FedEx can do it reasonably quickly:D

BTW I went for the X-pipe version
I'm still waiting on the GMG, but my patience is wearing thin. If GMG is a no-go, I will probably go full custom....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi Sizzle, same here, at least the long wait. I checked my email timestamps just to see how long it really was. I first started talking with GMG back in early September right through till late november. Bit of a long wait considering they were only making 25 units...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Regarding GMG, they have sent me 3 replacement exhausts. One I showed you all was black coated, another had a big dent on the tip, and the one I received two days ago was a completely damaged tip. It was refused from FedEx upon arrival.

I can't say for sure whether GMG doesn't know how to package an exhaust tip or there is a legitimate transit issue.

I've been wishing all along that I went with a different manufacturer.

TX: Regarding Cabin drone, I have the full GMG setup with downpipes. There is considerable cabin drone, but I like my exhaust loud so it's a trade off. It will make you stand out from the other cars out there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
life is too short to be worrying about things like "cabin drone"!! im used to driving around my roomates twin turbo G35 coupe, that thing is LOUD!! Less than 48 hours before complete install on the exhaust!!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts