Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read loads of reviews. After a bit more of a low rumble without any drone or tinny sound.
Audi S5 b8.5 2015 dsg box.
I do a fair bit of long distance motorway driving so do not want it too loud. I was about to buy second hand armytrix valves exhaust as like the idea of being able to close valves but read that with valves closed it causes heat build up and loss in performance. Awe touring seems to get a lot of positive feedback but am worried it will be too loud. Whereas xpipe people say it drones on dsg box. Also unsure if will be too loud for all the time use. Any help advice much appreciated... want to make the right decision first time regarding the exhaust mod!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The 3.0tfsi by it's nature is a bit of raspy beast. It will never give a deep thump like the S5 V8! :)

I have the standard exhaust with X-pipe in place of the centre resonator. It sounds good, especially once hot. When the exhaust is just warm, if you boot it, it gives a vibratey rasp.

Still don't understand how a dsg box makes the exhaust drone!? On the motorway doing about 2,000rpm (75mph) you can hear the exhaust hum, especially if you accelerate a little or are going up hill, but in my opinion it doesn't drone.

The drone thing is an American obsession! :)

Still need to get a recording of my exhaust!

I'm planning on customising my exhaust set up and have been hunter gathering parts. Probably won't be on the car until new year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3.0tfsi by it's nature is a bit of raspy beast. It will never give a deep thump like the S5 V8! :)

I have the standard exhaust with X-pipe in place of the centre resonator. It sounds good, especially once hot. When the exhaust is just warm, if you boot it, it gives a vibratey rasp.

Still don't understand how a dsg box makes the exhaust drone!? On the motorway doing about 2,000rpm (75mph) you can hear the exhaust hum, especially if you accelerate a little or are going up hill, but in my opinion it doesn't drone.

I'm planning on customising my exhaust set up and have been hunter gathering parts. Probably won't be on the car until new year.
A sound clip would be really helpful if you have time. Is it much louder from within the cabin?
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts

I wish i could find somewhere which sells X pipes for V8's :(

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I wish i could find somewhere which sells X pipes for V8's :(
There are universal X-pipes on ebay or get a exhaust shop to make one up!

I think the 3.0 V6 X pipe will fit the V8 with a bit of modifying! The only difference is the V8 has a 58mm exhaust and the V6 has a 54mm OD exhaust. An exhaust shop with the tools could expand the ends of the X-pipe to slot over your standard exhaust!? :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are universal X-pipes on ebay or get a exhaust shop to make one up!

I think the 3.0 V6 X pipe will fit the V8 with a bit of modifying! The only difference is the V8 has a 58mm exhaust and the V6 has a 54mm OD exhaust. An exhaust shop with the tools could expand the ends of the X-pipe to slot over your standard exhaust!? :)
Thanks for the advice, my local exhaust shop wanted, what I feel is to much for what it is, considering I've bought an X pipe for my Maserati for £350. I've been quoted £545 ex vat, so was hoping for an off-the-shelf option.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi the awe touring is not to loud as it is a full resonated system and is a good balance between noise and power,and is probably one of the best exhaust you can buy for an S5 imho.
I had a chance to buy an armatryx when I 1st bought my car as there was 1in a salvage yard 3 miles away from where I live, it was off a V8 and I was planning on modding it to fit,but ECS had just released the x pipe so I bought 1.
X pipe off a v6 will fit with a small amount of modification and at £300 is a deal to be done.
Interesting fact is awe track exhaust for the 3.0 comes with an x pipe fitted. The awe track exhaust for the v8 comes with a H pipe and wider central resonator.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts