Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as those of you in the UK know, Scotland has been hit by some major snow this past week. Well as it so happens I made a trip down to Kent this weekend and as it is a beautiful day today I decided to give the car a wash.

To my horror half way through washing the car I noticed the diamond black finish on the car has started to come away almost as if it has corroded in some manner. Now I have to admit due to the snow I haven't cleaned the car for a week but really this shouldn't happen in the space of a week. I'm assuming it could be due to the salt/grit put down on the roads but still surely it should be able to deal with not being cleaned for a week???? (Just incase anyone is wondering my wheels are off for the winter, so I assumed not washing the car for a week was ok otherwise normally I would rinse them off in the evening with some water)

Anyone else with these tips noticed a problem with the finish???

I've sent an e-mail to AWE so lets see what happens.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
:eek::eek: Little Devil, that's shocking. I thought Saj's exhaust was bad until I seen that.

Are all the Millteks going like this?

·
Registered
237 Posts
:eek::eek: Little Devil, that's shocking. I thought Saj's exhaust was bad until I seen that.
+1

How old and how many miles has that exhaust done LittleDevil ? Not that it should be like that anyway but would be interested to know.
I do hope that Milltek and AWE come up with some good answers because there are lot's on here (me included) currently considering one of these.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
4 months on the car and about 8.000km done. Strange but all other pipes are in great condition, except tips are really bad. It is really bad to see something like that on the car... :(

Thanks

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Wow! :eek: This is really not cool, guys.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Wow I didn't realize salt could do that. I'm glad I live in Florida :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have problems with Milltek too :(

I've sent an e-mail to MILLTEK too and lets see what happens.
Oh my god! This is bad! My MTM exhaust still looks like new.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hmmm, strange. I have my Milltek in perfect condition.

Interesting is, that it's from outside only.

What do you use for cleaning or conservation ?

·
Registered
220 Posts
It could be that salt and stainless steel dont' like each other. Just a thought from up north in the salt zone.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Good to know. So what I am understanding is dont buy either of these two in the future if you live in snowy areas.

Hows the stock s5 exhaust holding up in the snow?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Good to know. So what I am understanding is dont buy either of these two in the future if you live in snowy areas.

Hows the stock s5 exhaust holding up in the snow?
I wouldn't say that but you need to maintain these things. Even with chrome rims you have to make sure they stay clean because brake dust eats away after getting wet because of the acid it creates.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had mine on the car since July, probably done about 5000 miles on this exhaust. I do agree you have to maintain, which I do, but you can't be expected to wash your car on a daily basis especially when it's constantly snowing day after day.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I didn't think you must maintain, I meant if you hasn't maintained it with something terrible.

I didn't maintain my Sebring on previous car for 5 years (only car-wash) and no rust. The same for Simmons exhaust on A4 B7 for 3 years.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
It could be that salt and stainless steel dont' like each other. Just a thought from up north in the salt zone.
Maybe, but I used to have a £70 stainless steel exhaust on my clio when I was 17 years old - a very cheap exhaust. That stood the test of time against the cheap grit and salt that our council's use in the UK which wreck our cars, and it kept it's shine all year round, right through the winter.

Funny how the cheap stainless exhausts of young modders outlive exhausts from very well known and respected tuning companies?

Manufacturing problem, maybe?

·
Registered
821 Posts
They certainly look appalling :eek:

I thought Stainless Steel would of been fine with Salt !!!!!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Due to the time difference I'm hoping AWE will get back to me sometime late this afternoon.

Just to add, my mates RS4 cab had a Milltek on it and he had no issues through the winter, still looked good as new. So on the Milltek side I think it could be a one off issue unless anyone else is experiencing issues with theirs.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Milltek - 9k miles done in 12 months, washed exhaust only 4 or 5 times polished twice. Good as new... looks like the one mentioned earlier was an exception... although I did hear that Milltek had a chrome problem about a year ago, and changed the finish spec after that... Milltek gives a lifetime warranty, so shouldn't be a problem getting it replaced.

SAJ... sorry to hear the AWE one has an issue... hopefully, just a bad one, but after the long wait you had getting it, it could be a while 'til a replacement gets here!

PS... fundamentally, stainless has no issue with salt, but a chrome finish may potnetially either get damaged (although its pretty inert) or penetrated and 'lift' from the underlying metal if there's dome 'porosity' in the finish.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Milltek gives a lifetime warranty, so shouldn't be a problem getting it replaced.
Banging my head now that I realized I chose a smaller brand where they'll take your money and give you a hard time when you have a legitimate manufacture defect. Took me 2 months to get a replacement part from GMG after trying to contact them several times each week.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts