Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got the downpipes fitted to my Milltek Exhaust System. All I can say is that the pipes make the car sound that much more aggressive and definitely increases mid-range pull.
Cabin drone is the same as with the standard Milltek which isn't bad at all.

I will get a stock S5 and my car together today, get some hi-def video comparisons and post it up. Should just be a few hours from now....

Clint, I hope you're going to Starbucks this morning......:cool:

Edit: Video link in below post

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey sizzle, looking forward to the video post! How much were the downpipes and how long did the install take?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey Sizzle,

I got mine in too, great sounds for sure, but I didn't notice any greater pulls in the mid-bands. Droning is slightly louder and interior cabin vibrations are noticeably louder esp. in the backseats.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
So I got to hear sizzle's car this morning with the newly installed AWE downpipes, and all I can say is WOW! :eek: When listening to the exhaust under load from outside the car, it sounded really mean!!!

Interesting side note... when standing outside the car at idle, ccompton's stock S5 exhaust had a much more noticeable rumble to it, while sizzle's Milltek exhaust at idle was surprisingly quiet (so much so that we weren't sure if his car was actually running at one point when parked next to ccompton's car while running). But, that quietness completely disappeared as soon as sizzle laid on the gas. :) Man, it's just an intoxicating sound. I think it was definitely a worthwhile mod. Hopefully the video will do the sound justice.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
To TX's point, the car is Lexus quiet at idle and has less low bass rumble than stock. A little more rumble would be nice, but the party gets started as soon as you lay into it.
The issue with the stock exhaust that the video shows is that under acceleration it stays the same volume and doesn't open up. In the video as the stock car pulls away so does the sound.

Speaking of videos......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2pqoFPELXc

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey Sizzle,

I got mine in too, great sounds for sure, but I didn't notice any greater pulls in the mid-bands. Droning is slightly louder and interior cabin vibrations are noticeably louder esp. in the backseats.
What do you mean by "cabin vibrations"....

Also, we did some runs with the stock S and my suspicions were confirmed. We were generally even, but we both could tell after 3rd gear I was gonna pull. Due to us doing relatively short runs we didn't get to actually see it happen, but we both could feel it...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
WOW :eek: Is it possible to make video Milltek Exhaust System and Milltek Exhaust System + AWE Downpipes?

getting S5 in a week and i think i will order new exhaust on monday :D

Thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
To TX's point, the car is Lexus quiet at idle and has less low bass rumble than stock. A little more rumble would be nice, but the party gets started as soon as you lay into it.
The issue with the stock exhaust that the video shows is that under acceleration it stays the some volume and doesn't open up. In the video as the stock car pulls away so does the sound.

Speaking of videos......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2pqoFPELXc
MAN! I have to admit, it sounds good on the video, but in person it is WAAAAY better. It is strange about how much quieter it idles, I drove sizzle's car and actually shut it off thinking that I was about to start it (because it was so quite). But at idle is the only place it is tame, anything other than idle is...BAM!!!

I am probably going to have to add the down pipes to the list when the exhaust goes on...now if I can just make up my mind....:D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Thanks for the Vid Guys! ...I especially like the bird that chimes in after you've both departed!

...Yep... sure does sound mighty fine, even on the video, which I know from experience doesn't do the sound justice. Being quite familliar with the milltek only option, I'd definately say ther'e an additional aggressive 'edge' to the sound, which I really like.

BTW, do you have the centre resonators in your Milltek?

As for the sound being quieter at idle... same here with just the milltek.

Happy days!

:D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the Vid Guys! ...I especially like the bird that chimes in after you've both departed!

...Yep... sure does sound mighty fine, even on the video, which I know from experience doesn't do the sound justice. Being quite familliar with the milltek only option, I'd definately say ther'e an additional aggressive 'edge' to the sound, which I really like.

BTW, do you have the centre resonators in your Milltek?

As for the sound being quieter at idle... same here with just the milltek.

Happy days!

:D
I have no resonators at all. I had the main resonators removed for straight pipe, and the installation of the downpipes removed two additional smaller resonators up front.

Still can't believe how quiet it is at idle and how she opens up as soon as you get on it......

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yeah, I think the bird said to his pals: "Dude, I was just about to go take a sh*t on those guys' shiny black cars, but when I heard their awesome exhausts, I changed my mind. I just couldn't do it." :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yet another exhaust system question

I have read and read most of the 'exhaust related' posts and as much as I would love to install the Milltek Cat-back setup, these mods (full ceramic tint, Venture Shield bra, rocker panels & partial rear bumper, spacers and [likely] KW coilovers), are getting expensive :eek:

It has been stated in one or more posts that the stock Audi exhaust system is very well engineered, so I thought...maybe with a tweak it could sound better and I could save some dough.

Has anyone 'just' removed / replaced the center collector/resonator section with say an 'x-pipe' and if so, what is your experience? Just a thought...any input would be welcomed, thanks! Steve

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah, I think the bird said to his pals: "Dude, I was just about to go take a sh*t on those guys' shiny black cars, but when I heard their awesome exhausts, I changed my mind. I just couldn't do it." :D
LOL TX,

Great sound! Another good mode Sizzle.

·
Registered
457 Posts
What do you mean by "cabin vibrations"....
Sit in the back seats and you'll figure out what I'm talking about hehe.
Lets just say it's not a vibrating dildo running amuck in the trunk. :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sit in the back seats and you'll figure out what I'm talking about hehe.
Lets just say it's not a vibrating dildo running amuck in the trunk. :)
Haha...ok

Hey, you getting any clunking noises up front with your coilovers. I actually had the noise when I was stock, but trying to ascertain if it's gotten worse with the coils....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Haha...ok

Hey, you getting any clunking noises up front with your coilovers. I actually had the noise when I was stock, but trying to ascertain if it's gotten worse with the coils....
No clunking noises, though after going up / down driveways or inclines there is occasionally a muffled clunk / flexing noise.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Oh my god.... that's sick dude

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have no resonators at all. I had the main resonators removed for straight pipe, and the installation of the downpipes removed two additional smaller resonators up front.

Still can't believe how quiet it is at idle and how she opens up as soon as you get on it......
Sizzle !!!

I currently have the Milltek system probably with the centre resonators. Very dissapointed about the sound...coming from my previous car RS4 with non-resonated valve Milltek system (LOUDER) do you recommend adding the A.W.E. downpipes and removing the centre resonators instead of replacing this system for a complete A.W.E cat-back and downpipes?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts