Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is either present on Canadian S5s? I don't see any mention of it. It would be a shame to have that awesome stereo and be limited to just the in dash cd player to listen to.

EDIT, sorry I didn't mean MMI... just some way to hook up an external player!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Is either present on Canadian S5s? I don't see any mention of it. It would be a shame to have that awesome stereo and be limited to just the in dash cd player to listen to.

EDIT, sorry I didn't mean MMI... just some way to hook up an external player!
the 'some way to hook up an external player' is part of something called the Audi Music Interface and it comes standard on Canadian S5s... there's a slot in the glove box where you can connect audio devices (e.g., USB drives, non-ipod mp3 players, etc) to... the cable is extra though if you can't get your dealer to throw it in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great... that's what I wanted know. i just wasn't sure if it was available on the Canadian model. Can you also play music from the SD card slot if you take the Navigation option? Do you know what formats?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just received my A5 with S-line, Navigation, and Tech package and there is NO SD card slot in my system. I think that only comes on the models without Nav

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It lists the SD card on Audi.ca as part of the features under the option for Navigation but only on the S5 and not the A5. But then again it also makes no mention of the Audi Music Interface on the S5 page at all but it does on the A5 as a part of the navigation option.

I just want some clarification as I ordered my S5 without navigation only because he assured me that there was nothing else bundled with it. Now I know that the SD card slot is and now possibly the Music Interface as well?? If I am to be missing these things I will change my order because they're very important to me.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Marbles383,
This has been covered in a few other threads, and I'm not sure exactly what is/isn't standard in Canada, but the differences when it comes to whether you've got the Navigation or not are the same worldwide.

In essense, if you want to connect an iPod (or similar - there are other leads) then you have to order AMI (Audi Music Interface), which can only be fitted as a factory option if you also order the Navigation. Your iPod then goes in the glovebox, although the lead is a dealer-fit item, so make sure your dealer orders the right one in (there are 3 different ones - iPod, USB adn 3.5mm jack I think). With the Navigation system, you also DON'T have the SD slot as this is part of the MMI controls on the dash, but not when the MMI controls are on the centre console behind the gear shift.

Without the Navigation, you can't have the AMI, but in the UK you can get the Dension Gateway 500 system as an after market system and seems to work in much the same way, but it costs around £400-500 fitted. Not sure if you can get this in Canada though. You do have the SD slot though.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see. It's still not that clear to me as seifufu is reporting that the Audi Music Interface is standard on the S5 for Canada but Navigation is not so what you're saying and he says can't both be true...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Your iPod then goes in the glovebox, although the lead is a dealer-fit item, so make sure your dealer orders the right one in (there are 3 different ones - iPod, USB adn 3.5mm jack I think)
Just to clarify ...

There are actually 4 types of AMI adapter cables available. These can be ordered at any time from your dealership's Parts department and swapped out easily with the AMI connector in the glovebox. I use a USB cable for my USB flash drive, but I also have an iPod cable for those times when friends want to listen to their iPod on my B&O system.

Following are the 4 available types of AMI adapter cables:
  • iPod
  • USB
  • Mini-USB
  • MP3 (mini-plug)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Just to clarify ...

There are actually 4 types of AMI adapter cables available. These can be ordered at any time from your dealership's Parts department and swapped out easily with the AMI connector in the glovebox. I use a USB cable for my USB flash drive, but I also have an iPod cable for those times when friends want to listen to their iPod on my B&O system.

Following are the 4 available types of AMI adapter cables:
  • iPod
  • USB
  • Mini-USB
  • MP3 (mini-plug)
Oh, didn't know there were 2 sorts of USB cable - thanks TXcarguy.

For marbles383, you definitely need the Navigation to get AMI, but I would guess from what I've read about the Canadian options list, there's not much on it, so you may find that if you get Nav plus the tech pack then you've pretty much got everything. Without Nav then you'll be stuck with just an aftermarket system if you want to use an iPod. You will have an SD slot instead though (although this is limited to a 2GB maximum size of card).

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
No problem, scratch.

I also should add that I've run across several reports on a German forum of folks who are successfully using 4GB SD cards (even though the owner's manual apparently indicates only 2GB max allowed).

·
Registered
483 Posts
I see. It's still not that clear to me as seifufu is reporting that the Audi Music Interface is standard on the S5 for Canada but Navigation is not so what you're saying and he says can't both be true...
oops sorry marbles.. my bad... AMI is not stdard on the S5 (i thought it was part of the B&O, which is standard for S5 in Canada).. i just checked the Cdn sales guide here:
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/canadian-a5-s5-1309/index.html?p=14706

on p.2 of the document, it clearly states that "AMI is not available in cars without nav. this should be available next model year."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to see. Now supposedly I'm not even getting an '08 so I guess I'll wait and see if the option changes for '09.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For those of a technical nature, I have attached a scan of the section of the Symphony manual that sets out the spec for SD cards. Hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry guys (and Gals)- wrong chart. That's the one for CD-Rom's. I'll scan the SD card section and post it in a mo'

·
Registered
45 Posts
OK. Here's the correct table. You will see that is specifies capacity up to 2 GB.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts