Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my automatic wipers dont seem to want to come on all the time in light drizzle...if i move the stalk so that they are on constantly then move it back to auto...hey presto..they work a treat....just wondering if anyone else has come across this..or is it a dreaded electrical issue?.....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
They are meant to sit in the off position and you put them into intermittent when required. If you leave them intermittent and it then begins to rain later or the screen is already wet then the result is inconsistent and often they dont come on until you turn them off and back into intermittent again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
They are meant to sit in the off position and you put them into intermittent when required. If you leave them intermittent and it then begins to rain later or the screen is already wet then the result is inconsistent and often they dont come on until you turn them off and back into intermittent again.
not true mate, i havent taken the stalk off intermittent since i bought the car, they work beautifully, very rarely dry wipe and have the perfect sensitivity one off the bottom setting

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
In which case mine are not working correctly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
DD, I have to agree with Vin. I leave mine on intermittent and they only kick in when required. They have only let me down a couple of times when once they were too sensitive and another time they seemed to be waiting for the whole cloud to empty on the screen before kicking in. All I did was move the sensitivity switch across one notch and then return it back and it has been fine since. It may be worth getting it checked out, especially with the amount of rain we are having at the moment. :confused:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Mine got a lot of test today.

I have found that if the screen is clear and it starts to rain they will work fine. However, when starting up with a wet screen, they do not come on straight away and its only when i stopped and more water poured over the screen from the roof did it then start.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
not true mate, i havent taken the stalk off intermittent since i bought the car, they work beautifully, very rarely dry wipe and have the perfect sensitivity one off the bottom setting
Vin,
Thanks for the advice - mine seem to work best on that setting too. Seems to cut out the annoying 'dry wipe' when there really is nothing on the screen. Still seems mine will go to auto when I switch to position higher with the stalk though (supposedly continuous-slow) and they will quite happily revert to intermittent or off in this position, despite the owner's manual saying they won't.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine got a lot of test today.

I have found that if the screen is clear and it starts to rain they will work fine. However, when starting up with a wet screen, they do not come on straight away and its only when i stopped and more water poured over the screen from the roof did it then start.
even with wet screen on start up, they reset and begin 'sensoring' only beyond 6mph

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
even with wet screen on start up, they reset and begin 'sensoring' only beyond 6mph
Thats it for me then. I drive about 10 yards down my drive, then turn onto the road that is about 10 yards from a junction which is about 15 years from a sleeping policeman. Its only after I get over the sleeping policeman that the wipers come on. It is also only after that point that I get some speed up as its just rolling slowly until then.

That has given me the impression I had because when driving I hadnt noticed an issue. It was just from start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts