Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey brothers ----------------

Can anyone tell me if the Automatic Trunk Lid is a standard feature on the 2009 S5?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
What do you mean by automatic? :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
To clarify, automatic means (basically) that you don't need to use your hands to open the trunk. I believe the 6 series BMW has this feature as does the Q7. I know it's more of an SUV/Minivan feature, but I read somewhere that the S5 has it too. The Audi website lists it as a feature in their Glossary, but it doesn't specify which models come equipped with this.

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/tools/glossary/operation_comfort/automatic_boot_lid.html

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Oh ok, now I understand. The answer is yes. It's on the A5 and the S5.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool. I'm really not sure why more luxury cars don't have this feature - it seems like such a great convenience to me.

I'm assuming it works opening AND closing? And, that it works well -- i.e., not an overly slow opener, but a smooth and reasonably paced?

I know, I'm being picky :) It's just that I recently learned about this smart feature and I'm curious to learn about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
At least on my S5 its just automatic to open it, with a small button on the driverdoor, or I think its possible with the keythingie too (and you can open it normally/manually with the button on the trunk lid).
No Automatic closing. Its more the opposite, I'm quite often a bit too careful and probably end up being too soft when I close it, so I have to try again with a bit more force to make it close and lock.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Sorry, I guess I should have clarified a bit more. The opening of the trunk lid is not a motorized operation, rather it's just using hydraulics or spring action to open the trunk after the release button has been pressed. As markusla mentioned, closing the trunk is a manual effort.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see, so to clarify further, does the trunk just pop open a little (requiring you to still lift it to put things in) or does it open it far enough that you don't need to touch it until you need to close it (which I understand is a manual task)?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It opens all by itself to the fully opened position. It actually pops up rather quickly. Only time you need to touch it is to close it.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Haha actually it surprises many unsuspecting buddies who are waiting for you to pop the trunk. More than once I've nearly had the trunk slam someone in the chin because it pops open so quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts