Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got my new S5 2009 Automatic without Drive Select.

One thing that drives me crazy is that the car constantly shifts to D6 at low speeds. Is there any mods to keep it in lower gear?

Also, when you initiate the Paddle Shifters - it turns back to automatic mode very soon. Any mods to make that stay longer as it is nice to keep it in low gear with the high rev.

Any help would be great!!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
you should of gotten drive select... when I put it in Dynamic it stays in gears a lot longer... and quicker throttle response too... it was a "no brainer" to order it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just got my new S5 2009 Automatic without Drive Select.

One thing that drives me crazy is that the car constantly shifts to D6 at low speeds. Is there any mods to keep it in lower gear?

Also, when you initiate the Paddle Shifters - it turns back to automatic mode very soon. Any mods to make that stay longer as it is nice to keep it in low gear with the high rev.

Any help would be great!!!!
Just noticed your in Boston too... where abouts? Let me know if you want to play around with VAGCOM... I'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I too have a Tiptronic S5 without Drive Select. However, I'm not aware of any such mods you described.

When you're in normal 'D' (Drive) mode, the car shifts the gears to maximize fuel economy; thus, the early shifts to D6.

I assume you've tried driving in 'S' (Sport) mode? That changes the gear shifting dynamics of the car signifcantly (e.g., maintains lower gears with higher revs).

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
you should of gotten drive select... when I put it in Dynamic it stays in gears a lot longer... and quicker throttle response too... it was a "no brainer" to order it.
The 'S' (Sport) mode gear shifting on Tiptronic S5s without Drive Select essentially performs the same way as the Dynamic mode gear shifting on Tiptronic S5s with Drive Select. I've driven both and you get quicker throttle response from each when driven under those scenarios.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assumed there was an 'S' (Sport) mode - but never saw it. Where is the 'S' mode button / trigger located?

I would have gotten "Drive Select" but I got my hands on a canceled order in PA and it was get it now or wait 4 to 5 months for a new one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The 'S' (Sport) mode gear shifting on Tiptronic S5s without Drive Select essentially performs the same way as the Dynamic mode gear shifting on Tiptronic S5s with Drive Select. I've driven both and you get quicker throttle response from each when driven under those scenarios.
So, having driven the two, do you think the $3k for Drive Select is worth it or would it be better to drive in 'S' mode and use the $3k on gas? ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I assumed there was an 'S' (Sport) mode - but never saw it. Where is the 'S' mode button / trigger located?

I would have gotten "Drive Select" but I got my hands on a canceled order in PA and it was get it now or wait 4 to 5 months for a new one.
The 'S' mode option is directly below the 'D' mode. Just pull it down one extra "click". As Tx states, the 'S' mode dramatically increases the performance. I usually drive in 'D', but when I know I'll need the quick acceleration/performance, I'll drop it into 'S' and then it's off to the races. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys...

The drive is completely different when shifted into Sports Mode. Like a completely different car....

·
Registered
384 Posts
That's why drive select is completely useless...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Same function...3k less

While we're on the subject I want to throw in that nobody in a manual can beat the automatic shifts of this car in S. TipTronic is really enjoyable.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Same function...3k less

While we're on the subject I want to throw in that nobody in a manual can beat the automatic shifts of this car in S. TipTronic is really enjoyable.
Wow, aren't we full of ourselves today:eek: To my knowledge the S-mode only changes the transmission dynamics and not the suspension or steering characteristics. I have the manual and drive select and actually like the ability to change the suspension and steering characteristics depending on situation and road conditions. So do I regret spending the money--not in the least. I love the drive select even more in my wife's tiptronic 09 A4. To each their own. "Nobody in a manual can beat the automatic shifts of this car in S"--may or may not be true but regardless there is more to "beating the shifts" when comparing manual to tiptronic. I am glad you like your tiptronic and I like my manual but you sound like someone who is need of proving something--take a breath man.

·
Registered
384 Posts
But why spend the 3k on Drive Select when you can just buy coilovers for half that and get a more sporty ride and better look?

·
Registered
338 Posts
But why spend the 3k on Drive Select when you can just buy coilovers for half that and get a more sporty ride and better look?
I like the flexibilty it gives me and will place spacers come spring and the Stasis rear sway bar. Lowering any further in Iowa means I might as well park it in the winter since clearance is already cutting it close. Personally I am not overly impressed with the lowered look but I do like the wider stance that spacers give. Finally, coilovers and other mods add nothing to resale. Audi select probably will. In the end I doubt I lost much money and have the flexibilty of an interstate cruiser (comfort mode) or a performance beast (dynamic) or something in between (auto/individual).

·
Registered
384 Posts
I like the flexibilty it gives me and will place spacers come spring and the Stasis rear sway bar. Lowering any further in Iowa means I might as well park it in the winter since clearance is already cutting it close. Personally I am not overly impressed with the lowered look but I do like the wider stance that spacers give. Finally, coilovers and other mods add nothing to resale. Audi select probably will. In the end I doubt I lost much money and have the flexibilty of an interstate cruiser (comfort mode) or a performance beast (dynamic) or something in between (auto/individual).
Coilovers give you the ability to dial in your desired height and the minimum is quite high enough for snow conditions. I think many people like the car lowered, the wheels fit more snugly in the wheel wells and it gives it a more aggressive look.

I wouldn't say it does not add anything to resale. People who buy these cars are just about the same enthusiasts that we all are. I don't really mind about a 3k option for the resale value, I would rather have a better look, ride and my S5 is still very comfortable.

I disagree with your point on the manual transmission. Why have a clutch when you can use paddle shifters or with the knob? For traffic, do you really want to go through the hassle of shifting up and down with the clutch? You claim there is more to comparing manual to tiptronic but what is there to compare? I don't see any benefits other than impressing people that have a bias to have manual transmissions in their sports cars. In my view TipTronic is the far superior option.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Coilovers give you the ability to dial in your desired height and the minimum is quite high enough for snow conditions. I think many people like the car lowered, the wheels fit more snugly in the wheel wells and it gives it a more aggressive look.

I wouldn't say it does not add anything to resale. People who buy these cars are just about the same enthusiasts that we all are. I don't really mind about a 3k option for the resale value, I would rather have a better look, ride and my S5 is still very comfortable.

I disagree with your point on the manual transmission. Why have a clutch when you can use paddle shifters or with the knob? For traffic, do you really want to go through the hassle of shifting up and down with the clutch? You claim there is more to comparing manual to tiptronic but what is there to compare? I don't see any benefits other than impressing people that have a bias to have manual transmissions in their sports cars. In my view TipTronic is the far superior option.
This will be the last post for me rezox on this thread. I am not into arguing about personal preferences--it is pointless. I am glad you can dial up your height but I have the sophistication of pushing one switch and I can do it every 2 seconds if I wish. I like my drive select and you like your coilovers--wonderful for both of us. I have had many, many Audis with both manuals and tiptronics over the years and they both have their benefits some of which are intangible frankly. I, like most who have manuals, am not trying to impress anyone--least of all you rezox. For me it adds enjoyment and a "feeling" that is intangible as I said. Even my wife would have preferred a manual in her new A4 if it were available--go figure. Your view of the tiptronic/manual issue is shall we say myopic.

·
Registered
178 Posts

So just to recap, there is NO DIFFERENCE in tiptronic shift points/shift firmness with and without Drive Select? Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
So just to recap, there is NO DIFFERENCE in tiptronic shift points/shift firmness with and without Drive Select? Thanks!
Correct! Just use the s-mode on the non-drive select cars.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I prefer manual cars, but I currently have an S5 tip.

Why? Medical reasons and nothing else.

The Drive Select option isn't anything I would really have bothered about if I had got a manual but I do love the Sport mode on the Tip box. It really does change the dynamic of the gearbox and rev ranges and the car feels totally different when accelerating and cornering due to being able to hold the car in a lower gear to power through corners. The same thing you would do by dropping it down a cog before throwing it into a corner on a manual car.

Other people swear by the Drive Select and I have heard that it is very good. I talked about it as an option with my dealership and he advised me that the Sport mode on the Tip box was pretty much (but not identical) to the Drive Select anyway, in this regard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts