Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this in the manual... never saw this as an option in the U.S.? Anyone have this? The button is supposed to be next to the ESP OFF button... would be nice to have this as it blocks out heat, gives privacy (I am leaving my glass clear for now), and blocks out annoying headlights from taller vehicles.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yeah, that rear sunshade is something I really, really wish the car came with ... especially living in Texas where it can get very hot. Must have been one of those things that Audi (for whatever reason) decided not to include in this model year. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they included it on the 2009 model year.

·
Registered
643 Posts
First the coat hanger, now this?? *sheesh* :rolleyes:

jk, it would be a good feature to have. I get used to it whenever I drive the GS, then hop back into my car and wonder where it's gone :\

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is on the options list here in Sweden.

Would have thought it would come in more handy in Texas :)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It is on the options list here in Sweden.

Would have thought it would come in more handy in Texas :)
*Sigh* I almost would rather have not known that it IS available as an option in other parts of the world. :( Oh well.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure it would probably get more use here than in Sweden.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It is offered as an option for Oz spec/delivered cars. Apparently research has been done which indicates blinds like these aren't as effective in reducing the interior temperature of the car as we might think. That's because the heat has already been transferred inside the vehicle through the glass before it meets the blind. But what it obviously does do is reduce glare from motorists behind you with badly adjusted headlights etc and offer increased privacy etc. What I don't understand though is why, if an option like this is available at all, its not just offered in every market in which the car is sold. Maybe someone will know.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the engineers got the rear shade and the sun roof cover mixed up.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Pic of sunshade

Really wish we could get this in the U.S. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Probably a liability and safety issue, cause it blocks your vision through the back windshield... just like changing the sun roof cover from solid to mesh, you are now able to see things on top of you better... thus increasing safety while driving. :/ I'm moving to Europe.

All these options better be on the RS5 in the US!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Probably a liability and safety issue, cause it blocks your vision through the back windshield...
Yeah, but some other Audi models in the U.S. (e.g., A6, A8) have this feature, so I don't think that's the reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The electric blind appears in the new A4 brochure as a £235 optional extra that will be available from April 2008, so I guess it'll probably be available on the A5/S5 as part of 2009 spec?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Quite likely, yes.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Yep - it's not a U.S. thing. This option is readily available in some Merdedes, BMWs and others I'm sure. It's a feature hold-back, plain and simple.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just kidding about the safety thing. Lots of cars have the sunshade. Even dark tint. And American flag decals that cover the whole back window that u can only see out and not in. Wish audi included in US.

·
Registered
536 Posts
This is like option number 5 that Audi has decided to hold from us because they wanted to launch it on the A4.... so damn stupid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts