Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the new S5, and all press releases show that it will be delivered with th 6 Spd manual transmission before it will be delivered with an automatic drive train. I'm currently driving an A6 4.2, and while my transmission shifts pretty slowly, I would not want to go back to a manual gearbox if I could avoid it.

Given the state of technology for automatic transmissions, and the fact that I track my current A6, and will certainly track the S5, I wanted to see what the forum members thought about the differences between the two types of transmission, and what their preferences are.

I realize that most true enthusiasts opt for the 6 spd manual, but like I said, with the amazing Auto Transmission technoogy now available, is this preference based on old thinking? Based on old technolgy? Based on a macho "look what I can do" attitude?

I am not intending to suggest that anyone that wants the manual is all about bravado, I am just trying to solicit some different opinions, and maybe gather enough data for all of us so that we might make better buying decisions.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Where do you track your car? Laguna Seca? Sears Point/Infineon?

I would get the DSG as you'll get the best of both worlds. Automatic when you are driving in the valley, full manual when you are on the track. I really don't see how you could track a car in an automatic without instant brake fad as you can't down-shift before a turn and your exit speeds are also much slower I imagine.

Excerpt from Automobile Magazine talking about the DGS in the TT:

"but the car's most intriguing feature is its new six-speed Direct-Shift Gearbox (DSG). Forget BMW's Sequential Manual Gearbox, Maserati's Cambiocorsa transmission, and Ferrari's F1 box. Audi's DSG is the first sequential manual that works well both in manual and in automatic mode."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been a member of the Audi Club for about 2 years now. During the first year, I tracked it only twice (Sears Point, Buttonwillow). Now, I am much more invovled and have tracked it 4 times since October, and I expect to take it to Buttonwillow in Sept, and to Sears Point again in October.

In addition to the two tracks I mentioned, this car has also seen time at Reno Fernley, Thunderhill, and Laguna Seca. All are great tracks, and I do love Sears Point, but Reno Fernley might be my favorite of them all. It's very technical, very long, very fast, yet reasonable on brakes.

Today, I spent some time with Chris at Carlson Audi in Palo Alto. He was able to clear up a bit of the confusion, but unfortunately, it only created more questions for me. Here is what I know so far...

The cars are most certainly scheduled to arrive at dealers in November. There are only two S5s in the US, and they travel around between dealers. There is a chance that one of these S5s may make it's way to the ALMS event at Laguna Seca in October, but Chris could not confirm that for me, and it is really just a combination of speculation and positive thinking.

Chris also informed me that the 2008 S5s will begin to show up with the Automatic transmission about the same time that the A5 begins to show up in the US. Rumor is that we should see both fo them in March of 2008. Apparently, the S5 will not be paired with DSG, but instead will be matched to a "Fast Triptronic", which is supposed to be much faster than the current trip, but not as fast as the amazing double-clutched DSG.

No pricing is yet available, but, there continues to be a strong suspiscion that the base model will run about $52 - $55, and a well equipped S5 will cost you about $65K.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I am surprised to here there will not be a DSG option. The pricing sounds in line with what is being said on this site. I've only been on Sears Point, I'd really like to give Laguna Seca a try sometime in the future.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I just drove the new DSG TT and loved it. I would definately take that transmission. I really like manuals also.

I think you need a new option for the poll. "Whatever transmission is faster"

The current automatic that is coming is the CVT based technology. No where near as quick as the manual or DSG box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I currently have an A3 3.2 with DSG and think it is fantastic. I would definitely have gone for it in the S5 if it was available now. The fact is though that I cannot wait for the S5 any longer so manual it is. I do still love manual gearboxes though so it is not a sacrifice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I currently drive a CVT A4 2.5TDI. (i.e. Multitronic) The 'S' option on the 'box is superb and with steeringwheel paddle shift the virtual gearchange is definitiely quicker than a manual shift.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i felt the peddle, it's far too high, far too much travel and far too little feel. the multitronic brilliant for crusing and general lazy driving, it has 8 programed fake gear rations, the tip has 6 and it's just an autobox change spedd 400ms. DSG expensive but a must have change speed 200ms just under 1.5K GBP, but it's such a laugh, you can use it as a launch control: rev to 4K rpm with your left foot hard on the brake and the second you lift off you fly! not kidding try it! oh, but if you're a hard working kinda guy, go manuel, slightly more fun, more power to the road and also if you got advanced driving knowledge you can save a whole loada gas with a manuel. the DSG's faster on a track. multitronic is really funny if you nail it and get a top speed cos the engine just stays on 6.2K rpm til you reach 155mph and then slowly drops back to 5K rpm. the tip's fine but a lil jerky. unfortunatly the S5 with a manuel box doesnt get a "SPORT" gas peddel so ladies with high heels gonna struggle a lil, the non-sport gas peddles a little small too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For what its worth I went through the same dilemma. Drove a 2005 S4 Tiptronic for 2 years and loved it. Just moved to S5 manual because i'm too impatient to wait for auto next year. OK so not as great in a traffic jam but much more fun. It's awakened my driving again. If you don't spend your life in a jam go for it...if you do... wait till it comes with auto box!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had an SMG gearbox in a 3.0L Z4 and then auto in the Discovery 3 i just got rid of and now manual, the A5 would be fantastic with the SMG (paddle shift) box.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts