Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of the only options my car doesn't have and think it would be a useful addition (considering is a manual transmission).

Has anyone retrofitted this?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Forget it. I have hill hold and have used it maybe tice... both times with great frustration... it doesn't do anything more than the normal electronic hand brake except opertate 'automatically' which is very poor as it only seems to work properly when you bring the car to a stop on the brake, which for the sake of smoothness I rarely do... I tend to bring to a halt using gravity and then apply the footbrake when stationary. If I need the handbrake to facilitate a smooth start after this, I just pull the switch up with one finger... which isn't exactly hard to do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Would have to disagree, I engage the HHA everytime I get in the car - coming from an auto car - I've found it very useful, also gives your feet a rest especially in heavy stop/start traffic and obviously no need to worry about any rolling back at all. However, in reality it cost less than 50 quid from factory - how much would anyone reasonably want to pay for retro fit?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Would have to disagree, I engage the HHA every time I get in the car ...
'
I have to agree with ramy7 - I think it's a brilliant option and I too switch it on every time. Once you get used to it, it does its thing in the background with no further interaction from the driver.

You should switch it on more often Ian and give it a chance. ;)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I agree with you guys too......very useful thing.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
'
I have to agree with ramy7 - I think it's a brilliant option and I too switch it on every time. Once you get used to it, it does its thing in the background with no further interaction from the driver.

You should switch it on more often Ian and give it a chance. ;)
'
OK maybe I was a bit harsh, but it only does what the normal handbrake switch does, but automatically and not very intelligently and nothing like an automatic... when engaged, like the normal handbrake, makes a 'swift' start very jerky, so annoying if left on in town. If you don't bring the car to a stop on the brake when going uphill, it rolls backwards then tries to engage and makes a god-awful sound and jerks you to a stop. If the hill is very steep, it releases before there's enough clutch bite to hold the car and you roll untill you 'catch it' on the clutch without stalling...

...If I'm in queuing traffic on a hill, I will engage it, but I have to adapt my driving to make it work properly and drive smoothly.

I know it was a low cost option, but having lived with it now, I realise I could happily live without it!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think the different engines may be having an impact here? In my 1.8T it's a fantastic option ... I get the odd slight jerk when I coast to a stop but it seems only I notice as the driver. When I brake smoothly it works a treat. In terms of bang for my buck it's a real winner - beats any other option hands down although I still don't understand why it isn't just standard at such a trivial cost.

I can imagine that in a slightly more powerful car like the S5 :))) then the jerkiness may be more pronounced.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all....

So anyway.... back to my original question - is it possible to retrofit?:confused:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Thanks all....

So anyway.... back to my original question - is it possible to retrofit?:confused:
'
Ah yes, the question!!

erm... not sure. Although I would be surprised if it can't... all the equipment is there to do the job within the standard hand brake, so I expect its a switch and some toggling with the vag com... Have you asked your dealer?

·
Registered
487 Posts
It certainly would be nice to know. I do have VAG-COM.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Was wondering what the final outcome was? Can it be retrofitted?

·
Registered
231 Posts
tiptronic box and hill hold must be a heaven send in London traffic, Graham?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts