Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 s5 has a bit of clouding on the headlights, the performance is fine, but ideally I wanted them as clear as new.

I've seen the "Autoglym Headlight Restoration Complete Kit" and tempted, but interested in people's experience with this kind of thing.

Things I want:

• Remove the exterior scratches (it's a 2011 model)
  • Clean up the general misting (I'm presuming it's exterior)

Things I'm worried about:

• Leaving the lights scratched and unenven / worse than they started
  • Slipping and messing up the paintwork
  • That the misting is internal and this is wasted effort / money etc!

Anyone got a rough "is this suitable for a beginner" answer? (I'll try to get a couple of photos tomorrow of what I want to buff out)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I did my daughters i30 hyundai the other week. I used 2000 grit sandpaper wet and it was completely frosted over after this and looked shocking.
I then used a buffer with various pads and compounds and now they look like new...

I don't seem to have a before lic, but they were quite weathered.

So it can be done, but we did have to quite a bit of buffing with pressure to get back to normal after the sandpaper.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The results look great there, did you do it by hand? or with a drill and kit?

Also, what did you use to tape over the paintwork? and did you put anything on at the end, some kind of sealant or anything?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a buffer I use for my car, so use that with heavy cutting compound. Then medium, the fine. Just used masking tape (from hardware store).

No sealant, but you could just use any wax.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, the type of masking tape I have wouldn't resist anything except the tinyest contact, you could tape it down and scrape through it with your fingernail. I notice your flag, perhaps masking tape means something different below the equator! :p

I've attached a couple of photos of my current headlights, does this look like the type of thing which would buff out?
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
106 Posts
It looks Ike it will . Just looks like 'weathering' from what I can see.
You can buy the tape from a car painting shop, or a hardware shop.. they are almost identical...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts