Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see this in the 5th March Edition of Autocar? They say the A5 Tdi quatro has pace, fuel economy and sheer class. The best Audi they have had on their fleet. Plus points: Cabin quality, Boot space, Powertrain (engine gearbox). Bad points: offset pedals (especially for shorter drivers- a point i have made before) and poor rear seat space (but you know what you are getting when you buy it).

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Weird about the comment of rear seat space, everyone thats sat in the back of my car has commented that they are suprised there is that much room in the back of a coupe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Space is problem if over six foot then thereis nothing there for rear passengers. But car isn't about taxiing others around

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I did a trip to London with 2 adults in the back and they said apart from getting in and out the space in the back is fine and actually not as bad as they thought it would be. I am 5.7 though and because of the offset pedals, I am an inch or two further forward than I would like to be.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The pedals are set to far to the right so when you are in the drivers chair your legs are bent quite a lot to the right (on RHD). Some offset is quite common but its quite a lot with this car.

It means that short legged individuals have to sit further forward than they like and may not be able to achieve a perfectly comfortable driving position.

Think of where you are sitting now and put your legs out as if there were pedals there. Then shift your legs about 6 inches to the right and that is your driving position.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Don't worry junkstory… from what I remember there's no (or at least not much) pedal offset for LHD A5 or S5...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
From what I've seen in Autocar (and elsewhere) the offset is even worse in the RHD new A4. I don't really notice it at all in my A5, but then I'm quite tall (6'2") so not an issue for me. I actually find the seats really comfortable, and better even than the full-electric Recaros I had in my old S4.

I believe the offset pedals in most of these cars is due to the way the cars are engineered originally (ie LHD). The offset is caused by the transmission tunnel being uneven to accomodate all of the gearbox and centre diff (for quattro cars). This causes a bulge in the right hand footwell, but allows for perfect pedal placement for LHD. When it comes to changing to RHD, it's not worth the expense of re-engineering all of the transmission just to avoid this problem by making the offset move to the left hand side. People with RHD just have to live with it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Its not just the pedals that are offset either. The centre console is as well. The RHD drive version doesnt get reversed controls so the start button is on the passenger side, the drinks holder is behind the gear stick so if you put a drink in there it gets in the way of a the gear change. Whilst you understand the pedals, you would expect the console to be changed.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
The pedals are set to far to the right so when you are in the drivers chair your legs are bent quite a lot to the right (on RHD). Some offset is quite common but its quite a lot with this car.

It means that short legged individuals have to sit further forward than they like and may not be able to achieve a perfectly comfortable driving position.

Think of where you are sitting now and put your legs out as if there were pedals there. Then shift your legs about 6 inches to the right and that is your driving position.

Yep. I'll always remember the first time I test drove the car (firstly, it was an S5), and I put my foot down looking for the clutch, only to find the foot rest. you do get used to it though.

regarding the back seats, not that i'm in there much :p , I cant say I like the seating position. The backrests are a bit too straight-up. Then again, that isn't what I bought the car for anyway, I very rarely have anyone in the back seat.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
the foot pedals maybe its cause im a girl i love the lay out :)

i agree i have never been in the back seat of my car *clears throat unless im hovering the back seats/floors and i have no problem really but i would not like to sit behind me with legs at 34ins i have my seat back and i can just about get my handbag behind me but i have had a short arse behind me and she had no issues and on the other side a 6ft 2 guy and he had no problems either but my cab really had no room so thats maybe why there are not complaining.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts