Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very very nice but I prefer the current V8 setup.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If it was a V8 I would possibly take a look. With the V6, I would be driving knowing that it isn't what it could have been and missing that V8 rumble. It would just be a disappointment all the time.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Here a video review of the S5 cabriolet:

in Dutch

Sorry, it is in Dutch, but you can see and hear it :moped:

I think it is best to go from S5 to the TDI cabrio first, and then back into the S5 cabrio, then it would be a great step forward in sound! :running:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
DD, I think it's the way of the world and we all have to get to grips with it or face a life of clinging onto our current rides until they're worthless, or being permanently dissatisfied with the new wave of cleaner, more efficient machinery that's started to appear.

Whilst I love the V8 attributes (in particular the sound), I'm more inclined to relish the enjoyment it's bought me and accept that I was fortunate enough to get my hands on what was in many ways the last of the line.

Looking ahead, the V6 'T' is technically probably a superior powerplant and in the real world, will give little away to the V8 cars. All the tests I've seen of the so-equipped S4 are close to rating it as the best ever Audi all-rounder (in real-world terms), RS4 and R8 included (or excluded, depending on what your particular world is like!)

If the deal-breaker is the noise, then as I've mentioned on a previous thread, an artfully tuned exhaust on a high-revving V6 is capable of releasing a pretty hair-raising sound. Not a V8 sound, but times are-a-changing........

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Much as I love the V8 noise.. Daimler 250V8, SDi Rover V8 and S5 V8 I am not sure I would want to 'pretend' my V6 sounded like a V8.. some V6's (including Audis) sound pretty good anyway.:moped:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
some V6's (including Audis) sound pretty good anyway.
That's precisely the point I believed I'd made? As a long-time Alfa V6 driver, I can vouch for the fact that a howling V6 is the equal to the roar of a V8 in the aural stakes. But sometimes needs to be allowed to breathe, as only a less restricting sports exhaust can do.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I'm agreeing with you but not sure the Alfa 2.5V6 sounded that great.

Certainly the 3.0 3.2 petrol Audi V6's I've had sounded pretty good with standard exhausts.

Have had free flow exhausts fitted to many of my cars over the years and yes they do sound noisy and burble nicely but the V8 burble from the S5 and others as they come out of the factory is unlikely to be replicated by a 'free flow exhaust' on a V6 ...which is the point I believe I made.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I had the 3.2 V6 cabrio as a courtesy car for three days just this week and although its an excellent engine, very smooth and just a delight to drive the one thing I did notice was sound, it was just very mute even when I reved the nuts off it.

Oddly enough the 3.2 in the TT which we had for 6 months sounded excellent whenever you put your foot down so it is a lot down to the exhaust. No doubt with an exhaust the V6T S5 will sound real good but I think a lot of S5 owners will agree with me when I say that one of the major and most important factors in purchasing the car was for that V8 engine......otherwise I myself would have just bought the 3.2 V6 petrol or TDI instead.

No doubt the V6T S5 will be ace, coupe or cabrio, it's just lost that appeal having dropped 2 cylinders. In saying that, I can't wait to give it V6T a test drive.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Saj I agree the difference between 3.2 TT and 3.2 CAb exhaust note is significant. TT sounds far better. The 3.2V6 is a tired oldish lump now and I welcome the new V6 in the S4/S5 just a shame the V8 is apparently being ditched. The old 3.0V6 Cab I ran for almost 3 years (52-55 Reg had a great exhaust note BTW).

I have no doubt that Audi 'Exhaust' engineers will be developing a decent sounding factory fitted exhaust for any V6 S5!:)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Saj I agree the difference between 3.2 TT and 3.2 CAb exhaust note is significant. TT sounds far better. The 3.2V6 is a tired oldish lump now and I welcome the new V6 in the S4/S5 just a shame the V8 is apparently being ditched. The old 3.0V6 Cab I ran for almost 3 years (52-55 Reg had a great exhaust note BTW).

I have no doubt that Audi 'Exhaust' engineers will be developing a decent sounding factory fitted exhaust for any V6 S5!:)
Bear in mind that the 3.2's in the TT and A5 are totally different engines and hence the different sound.

·
Registered
20 Posts
talking to a dealer on the Audi stand at the Melbourne Motor show this week he said that trade-in values on current S5's are holding very well because they will be the last of V8's. He said he had just traded a 12 month old S5 for A$ 119,000. So maybe we hold ours as "collectors items"
regards Dereg

·
Registered
40 Posts
I refuse to belive that the V8 is going to be diched from the coupe. If so, it will be a deal breaker for me. So today I went to Audi. The dealer like many other in "Barrier of Bellevue" told me that the Coupe will not yet ditch the V8.

Who to believe???

·
Registered
914 Posts
I refuse to belive that the V8 is going to be diched from the coupe. If so, it will be a deal breaker for me. So today I went to Audi. The dealer like many other in "Barrier of Bellevue" told me that the Coupe will not yet ditch the V8.

Who to believe???
Your dealer is correct: Audi is NOT YET to ditch the V8 for the Coupe. But they will replace it to the V6T engine from production week 22 (2010, in fact modelyear 2011), so in 16 months or so.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Who to believe???
Audi published months ago that it wasnt being replaced until 2011. It was posted here at the time as well. So, there is enough verifiable info out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts