Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep, here's the link to 2008 fuel economy ratings:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/FEG2008.pdf

I'm assuming this is true since the AS-6 is rated at 16/22 and there is no word "tax" in the notes column. However, the auto still costs more so I think in the end it probably cost the same as a manual.

Anyways check it out for those who are interested in purchasing an auto S5...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yep, here's the link to 2008 fuel economy ratings:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/FEG2008.pdf

I'm assuming this is true since the AS-6 is rated at 16/22 and there is no word "tax" in the notes column. However, the auto still costs more so I think in the end it probably cost the same as a manual.

Anyways check it out for those who are interested in purchasing an auto S5...
i have the same interpretation as you.. let's hope that we are correct :) :D

the auto S5 rating is on p.6 of the guide and p.8 of the pdf document

·
Registered
341 Posts
GG Tax

When I first read this post and the link, I was very hopeful.
However, there is a discrepancy between two sources of US Government information (shocker).
The link provided to the Fuel Economy Guide is from the US Dept. of Energy. I see them as an interested party to this discussion, but they are not the authoritative source that defines the GG Tax targets.

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) defines the rules for GG Tax levies.This is a link to the EPA list of cars subject to the 2008 GG Tax
http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420b07018.pdf

Unfortunately the S5 is on Page 1 of the PDF. It is noted as getting 21.4 combined MPG.
The EPA thresholds are:
at least 22.5 mpg No tax
at least 21.5, but less than 22.5 mpg $1000
at least 20.5, but less than 21.5 mpg $1300

So plan on the $1300 add on for US S5 buyers.
BTW... does Canada impose this type of tax?

I am still trying to figure out how to hide that add-on from my wife. She drives a Prius and is obsessive about her mileage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the EPA has not updated their info for an auto S5. It still only list the manual. Stay hopeful! Either way though, an auto S5 should get better mileage than a manual S5 so I can see the potential of it gaining an extra mpg to overcome G.G. tax.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The S5 manual does have the $1300 gas guzzler tax. All dealers should include it when they quote you the price of the car.

However, that document only has the manual transmission listed for the S5. The rumor is the automatic will get better gas mileage (I'm not sure how, but perhaps different gear ratios), such that it won't be subject to the tax. Since no S5 automatics/tiptronics have shipped to the US yet, it's still unclear whether they will also be subject to the tax.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I believe the EPA has not updated their info for an auto S5. It still only list the manual. Stay hopeful! Either way though, an auto S5 should get better mileage than a manual S5 so I can see the potential of it gaining an extra mpg to overcome G.G. tax.
at the very least the auto should move it into the $1000 bracket (if not the $0 bracket) and save us $300 bucks :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Stay hopeful! Either way though, an auto S5 should get better mileage than a manual S5 so I can see the potential of it gaining an extra mpg to overcome G.G. tax.

from my experience, and reading, i always thought that manual versions of the car always had better gas mileage than autos.
I know there are no proof for the S5 (yet) but can anyone reference in any car models/makes where the auto has better gas mileage than manual?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
^Yeah you are right in that once a upon a time autos had worse mileage than manuals but times have changed :p. I think that was back in the days when autos had generally 5 or 4 gears. Today autos have way better gearing and their efficiency has gone up too. You can check the tiptronics and compare them to the manuals on AOA website or just check any other manufactures website. I'm pretty sure you will find that most autos offer better gas mileage.

Also, I forgot where I read this but I remembering reading something about an updated version of the tiptronic, most likely being the software, on the S5 and future Audi models. It should give better efficiency and better gas mileage than current versions. However, AOA is still holding out on us... guess we will have to continue to wait...

·
Registered
483 Posts
seifu, are you planning to purchase an auto s5? I didn't know G.G. tax applied to Canada as well.
Strange.
yes, i am from Canada; but i plan to import the S5 because i really don't want to be gouged by Audi Canada for what is essentially the same car. In Ontario (the province that i am from), we have smth called the Ontario Fuel Conseravtion Tax http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/english/guides/tffc/2008.html
it is listed on this gov't website at $250 for the manual S5 (the guy at the stealership told me that this is $1200 (sounds like another cash grab attempt to me when the gov't website says $250)); the auto S5 is not yet listed. i will have to pay this tax as well when i import the S5.

if you go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm, u will find a fuel economy comparator.... i took a screenshot for the S5 manual and auto.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Cool info, thanks. I'm pretty confident now that the auto won't get G.G. tax since other vehicles with similar mileage aren't getting taxed.

Edit: Acutally I just missed the part where it says gas guzzler. It says no, going to be a sweet deal for people buying the auto.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very nice information for you auto folks. And also nice to see that it's only a $400 per year difference in gas for us manual folks :) That's not bad at all considering how much the car costs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
^Yeah you are right in that once a upon a time autos had worse mileage than manuals but times have changed :p. I think that was back in the days when autos had generally 5 or 4 gears. Today autos have way better gearing and their efficiency has gone up too. You can check the tiptronics and compare them to the manuals on AOA website or just check any other manufactures website...
u are right...some of the automatics have slightly better mpg like 1mpg than manual...still not bad though

·
Registered
483 Posts
seiffu,
I imported mine 2 weeks ago and did not have to pay the gaz tax. Probably because not in the system yet. Broker told me that it would have been $1,000 based on stats on th US web site.
Thanks Drarig.. you told me you used buyusacars.ca, how much they charge for the car and everything else (broker fee, etc)? how did u find them (e.g., referral or just did an online search)?

·
Registered
483 Posts
just thought that i'd share this with everyone:

Audi S5
[Manual] [Tiptronic]
(City/Hwy/Combined in L/100 km)

fueleconomy.gov [16.8/11.2/14.7] [14.7/10.7/12.4]

Cdn Audi brochure (identical to Natural Resources Canada's website here: http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tools/fuelratings/ratings-results.cfm?attr=8)
[15.1/9.4/?] [?/?/?]

Audi.de [17.8/9.2/12.4] [15.7/7.9/10.8]

so if the Audi.de numbers are accurate, those of us in Ontario might just see the lower Ontario Fuel Conservation Tax of $75 instead of the $250 for the manual. FYI, here is the link to the tax table
http://www.greenontario.org/strategy/autos.html; anything under 9.0 L/100 km for Hwy and we are golden :)

well... maybe just wishful thinking on my part :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
By my calculations that would put the US cars at :

audi.de #s : combined 19 and 21.8 mpg for manual & tip, respectively.
fueleconomy.gov #s : combined 16.0 and 19.0, man & tip,

Still on the cusp. Still expecting to get nailed for the extra $1300 in the US for the tip (if it ever arrives) but that fueleconomy.gov site is encouraging since it says yes for GG tax on the 6spd and no on the Tip.

·
Registered
163 Posts
In Canada we have a $100 gas tax but I was told by my dealer the S5 would be exempt because of the mileage rating. I have to see what the limits are in Canada

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.