Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an annoying "feature" in my MMI.

When I go into the AC settings and switch Auto Recirculation "on" it switches the Auto Recirculation light off on the console. (the button in between the two climate control dials)

Does anyone else have this feature?

It just doesn't make sense that the light is off even though the MMI is saying it's on.

Have taken it back to my local stealer THREE TIMES and now they just think I'm a pain in the arse, they run the other way when I walk in.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Feature works as designed

When I go into the AC settings and switch Auto Recirculation "on" it switches the Auto Recirculation light off on the console. (the button in between the two climate control dials)

Does anyone else have this feature?
I have that feature and mine operates identically to yours (i.e., selecting Auto Recirculation in the MMI to 'on' results in the Recirculation button light turning off). It's likely designed that way.

When you select Auto Recirculation to "on" via MMI, you are essentially letting the car decide when it's appropriate to switch to recirculation mode. In the owner's manual, it states: "If the air quality sensor located in the climate control system detects polluted outside air, the sensor decides whether the air pollution can be reduced by the factory-installed pollutant filter or whether it is necessary to switch to recirculation."

So my guess is that when you select that option in MMI, the car by default turns off the recirculation (and the button light accordingly) because it's not needed until it detects a certain level of outside air pollution has been exceeded.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TX, that makes sense, I wish the geniuses at my local Audi service dept explained it like that.

However! I decided to test it out with Auto ON and drove through a very polluted tunnel (http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/sydneys-m5-tunnel-worlds-worst/1354555.aspx) and the climate control computer didn't manage to figure out the air was polluted and pumped filthy fumes into the car.

Anyway, thanks again for explaining the logic, I think I'll stick with manually switching it on.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You're welcome. :)

BTW, sounds like you picked the perfect tunnel to do your test in. Wow, that's some serious pollution going on there!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Also, you'll notice that if you have the "auto-recirculate" feature enabled, then press the recirculate button, then go back into the MMI, you will see that the auto-recirculate feature is then disabled...due the the recirculate option being enabled manually.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Reviving an ancient thread, can anyone confirm that the MMI "auto recirculation" mode actually does anything when set to "ON"?

·
Registered
64 Posts
No, since owning the vehicles from Aug 2009, mine hasnt doesnt jack....esp when I can see and smell crappy air.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The climate control system in the Audi A4, which debuted in the '92 Audi 100 and the '93 Audi 90, is an all new design that replaces the older automatic climate control system that was a GM derived unit, used on Audis from the mid 1980's to 1992. The newer climate control system is far better than the one it replaces in that you can be in full manual mode unlike the old one, it is much friendlier, and looks to be up to Audi's standard of aesthetics.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Reviving an ancient thread, can anyone confirm that the MMI "auto recirculation" mode actually does anything when set to "ON"?
Yes it does, it closes flap if odour is coming inside.
You can find info in Car's manual.

You can change sensitivity of auto recilculation via VCDS. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes it does, it closes flap if odour is coming inside.
You can find info in Car's manual.

You can change sensitivity of auto recilculation via VCDS. :thumbsup:
How do you do that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts