Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I need a bit of help! Im in the process of retrofitting auto lights and rain sensor on my 2010 Audi A5.
I have removed the mirror, which has a connector with 3 wires. My question is once i remove the metal plate and fit the sensor in what does it power it?
Should there be another harness apart from the 3 wires going into the mirror which should plug in the connector?
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
There should be more wires than 3.

Wires go to the rear view mirror (if it has auto-dim)
Wires go to the rain sensor
Wires go to the light detector

From memory I can't remember the number wires as I only saw them when having a new windscreen fitted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,

I notice this post is a bit old but did you manage to solve this, I too am in the process of doing the rain/light sensor retrofit. My car has the same wires as yours, the three wires lead to the humidity sensor connected with a wee blue 3 pin plug under the mirror support cover - question is can I splice these wires into the new rain light sensor in order to work Both sensors?

I know the facelift versions have the rain, light and humidity all combined into the one windscreen sensor....however the windcreen mount on the preface won’t accept the newer sensors.....and don’t fancy replacing the windscreen for a new mount

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I managed to work out a way of getting auto lights/wipers.......NOT using the loom in the pic but taking a direct feed from headlight switch......now all functions ; auto lights, wipers, coming/leaving home after a small vcds session are working as per they should be! Just waiting on the wee gel pad for the windscreen and il get it all installed.... but all in all easy enough!

·
Registered
3 Posts
FOR ANYONE WHO IS STILL INTERESTED IN THE PRE-FACLIFT AUTO LIGHTS/WIPER INSTALL ;

small print - THIS IS THE METHOD I USED, IT WORKED FINE, I ASSUME THERE IS MANY WAYS TO DO THIS BUT NOT VERY WELL FOUND ON INTERNET OR FORUMS. ITS PURELY A GUIDE TO OFFER ASSISTANCE AND BY NO MEANS AN OEM METHOD.

you will need ;

1 x light/rain sensor (ensure you get the right one - prefacelift with humidity sensor separate...that the wee thing installed at the back of the mirror cover) ***PART NO - 8K0955559
1 x gel pad to suit your sensor *** EBAY listing NO (for example) - 182611010891
1 x Kufatec wire loom OR make up your own *** Kufatec EBAY listing NO - 401748493325 Or connector PART NO - 1c0973119b if making own loom.
1 x auto lightswitch to fit your car. Any suitable switch will fit providing has ‘auto’
+ ACCESS TO VCDS if you don’t have it

so now you have the parts to hand ;

installation ;

LIGHT SWITCH - remove Driver side fuse panel and also the thin trim panel you see rising up to a-pillar trim on dash(for later) now push on rear of your lightswitch to pop it out then simply disconnect and remove old one......I would leave the new one disconnected for now.

MIRROR ASSEMBLY - first remove your mirror and associated mirror mount by turning clockwise to expose the windscreen holder that takes the light sensor, this will be covered with a silver Spring style holder that needs gently removed from recesses and behind that installed is a dummy blanking plate, remove that then clean the windscreen where the sensor will fit, Clean sensor and attach the gel pad to the face of the light/rain sensor, Then pop it into the holder and reassemble the securing bracket to hold it in place

CABLE WIRING HARNESS. -
Use tape and note pin locations to each wire at lower part of loom (ie;pin 1, pin 2, pin 3)
1 - remove the front Courtesy light / sunglasses unit from the roof, 1 x bolt located in the sunglass compartment then gently remove the unit, either disconnect or hang to one side.
2 - remove or loosen off the driver side a-pillar 1xbolt behind ‘airbag’ plastic cap and gently but firmly pull the a-pillar cap from locators dont use screwdrivers etc...remember your airbag is behind the cover, its mounted to the car and not the cover
3 - I opted to not fully remove the pillar fully as its awkward to the dash end and feared I’d never get it back on! regardless, I see a loom, this is where the wires will feed up. Now from the fuse panel - as you removed a small trim panel (thin strip beside fuse panel...leads to bottom of a-pillar) earlier you should be able to see daylight from where you have separated the a-piller — now we feed up the new cable loom, bit fiddly but work it up same route as existing cables (poss use couple of small zip ties) (avoids possible Interfering with airbag) and into the roof headlining, and across to the opening where you removed Courtesy light unit(if it helps remove drivers sun visor, gives a wee bit more play).....then pass the connector under the front of the headlining exposing it at the front(ensuring adequate cable length) and connect up to new sensor.
4 - refit And reconnect all ‘upper’ parts you’ve taken apart - all mirror parts, courtesy light, a-pillar
5 - now time to splice into correct terminals - for this we will use the headlight wiring connector........this provides positive, negative and communication wire.....THERE MAY WELL BE AN ALTERNATIVE BUT THIS WORKS AS IT SHOULD, THE CANBUS FEED IN THE HUMIDITY SENSOR WILL NOT CONNECT TO LIGHTS AND WILL THROW DEFECTIVE ERROR THEREFORE NOT USED....MY BELOW CONNECTIONS OFFER COMPLETE OPERATION ; AUTO WIPERS, AUTO LIGHTS, NO ERRORS.

DIY WIRE LOOM CONNECTIONS - use Strippers and solder or scotch loks, whatever you prefer ;
PIN 1 SPLICE into Headlight switch connector PIN 2
PIN 2 SPLICE into headlight switch connector PIN 3
PIN 3 SPLICE into headlight switch connector PIN 1

KUFATEC PREWIRED LOOM.....MOST OEM LOOK - Less splicing!
CONNECT ‘REPAIR’ WIRE INTO REAR OF FUSEBOX (middle block - bottom) then fit 5amp fuse.
CONNECT EARTH LEAD (O-Ring) to Earth next to fuse box
TAP REMAINING WIRE INTO PIN 1 of headlight switch connector (purple/comms lead for bcm)

now connect lightswitch up, reassemble any parts/covers so that your car Looks as it should then....

VCDS - CODE IN YOUR NEW RLSENSOR BY ENABLING IN LONG CODING, THEN ACTIVATE COMING HOME/LEAVING HOME USING FOGS/DIPPED ETC.......THEN YOU CAN CONFIGURE IN YOUR MMI.

NOW YOU HAVE AUTO LIGHTS, WIPERS AND CH/LH

ENJOY........SORRY FOR THE HUGE READ - I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS EVEN READS UNDERSTANDABLE - BUT HOPE THIS HELPS, EVEN IF ONLY SLIGHTLY LOL.

BAZ :geek: 🐵

·
Registered
1 Posts
FOR ANYONE WHO IS STILL INTERESTED IN THE PRE-FACLIFT AUTO LIGHTS/WIPER INSTALL ;

Any chance you got some pictures with wiring (that would really help) and coding (less important but anyway if you are willing to share)? I guess i can figure it all out but i only have 3 days to do the job. 😋🧐 Much appreciated and thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi friends,i have read all post about retrofiting rain light sensor on audi, it was wery helpful to me all from start to the end, but i wanted to ask you guys one thing, i instaled all that is needed, and with obdeleven i have activated a few thing, i will put screens in atachment it is checked in green, but i have one problem now and wanted too ask for your help, problem is next rain wipers work on taping on winshild but lights dont when i cover se
nsor and on switch when i put to AUTO it doesnt iluminate. Is there something dhat i need to code with vcds or they just dont work? Sorry for this much text and maybe bad english but i need some help, because in my contry there is no good audi electric workshop.
Product Font Screenshot Software Technology
Product Font Screenshot Software Technology
Font Screenshot Operating system Software Technology

·
Registered
2 Posts

small print - THIS IS THE METHOD I USED, IT WORKED FINE, I ASSUME THERE IS MANY WAYS TO DO THIS BUT NOT VERY WELL FOUND ON INTERNET OR FORUMS. ITS PURELY A GUIDE TO OFFER ASSISTANCE AND BY NO MEANS AN OEM METHOD.

you will need ;

1 x light/rain sensor (ensure you get the right one - prefacelift with humidity sensor separate...that the wee thing installed at the back of the mirror cover) ***PART NO - 8K0955559
1 x gel pad to suit your sensor *** EBAY listing NO (for example) - 182611010891
1 x Kufatec wire loom OR make up your own *** Kufatec EBAY listing NO - 401748493325 Or connector PART NO - 1c0973119b if making own loom.
1 x auto lightswitch to fit your car. Any suitable switch will fit providing has ‘auto’
+ ACCESS TO VCDS if you don’t have it

so now you have the parts to hand ;

installation ;

LIGHT SWITCH - remove Driver side fuse panel and also the thin trim panel you see rising up to a-pillar trim on dash(for later) now push on rear of your lightswitch to pop it out then simply disconnect and remove old one......I would leave the new one disconnected for now.

MIRROR ASSEMBLY - first remove your mirror and associated mirror mount by turning clockwise to expose the windscreen holder that takes the light sensor, this will be covered with a silver Spring style holder that needs gently removed from recesses and behind that installed is a dummy blanking plate, remove that then clean the windscreen where the sensor will fit, Clean sensor and attach the gel pad to the face of the light/rain sensor, Then pop it into the holder and reassemble the securing bracket to hold it in place

CABLE WIRING HARNESS. -
Use tape and note pin locations to each wire at lower part of loom (ie;pin 1, pin 2, pin 3)
1 - remove the front Courtesy light / sunglasses unit from the roof, 1 x bolt located in the sunglass compartment then gently remove the unit, either disconnect or hang to one side.
2 - remove or loosen off the driver side a-pillar 1xbolt behind ‘airbag’ plastic cap and gently but firmly pull the a-pillar cap from locators dont use screwdrivers etc...remember your airbag is behind the cover, its mounted to the car and not the cover
3 - I opted to not fully remove the pillar fully as its awkward to the dash end and feared I’d never get it back on! regardless, I see a loom, this is where the wires will feed up. Now from the fuse panel - as you removed a small trim panel (thin strip beside fuse panel...leads to bottom of a-pillar) earlier you should be able to see daylight from where you have separated the a-piller — now we feed up the new cable loom, bit fiddly but work it up same route as existing cables (poss use couple of small zip ties) (avoids possible Interfering with airbag) and into the roof headlining, and across to the opening where you removed Courtesy light unit(if it helps remove drivers sun visor, gives a wee bit more play).....then pass the connector under the front of the headlining exposing it at the front(ensuring adequate cable length) and connect up to new sensor.
4 - refit And reconnect all ‘upper’ parts you’ve taken apart - all mirror parts, courtesy light, a-pillar
5 - now time to splice into correct terminals - for this we will use the headlight wiring connector........this provides positive, negative and communication wire.....THERE MAY WELL BE AN ALTERNATIVE BUT THIS WORKS AS IT SHOULD, THE CANBUS FEED IN THE HUMIDITY SENSOR WILL NOT CONNECT TO LIGHTS AND WILL THROW DEFECTIVE ERROR THEREFORE NOT USED....MY BELOW CONNECTIONS OFFER COMPLETE OPERATION ; AUTO WIPERS, AUTO LIGHTS, NO ERRORS.

DIY WIRE LOOM CONNECTIONS - use Strippers and solder or scotch loks, whatever you prefer ;
PIN 1 SPLICE into Headlight switch connector PIN 2
PIN 2 SPLICE into headlight switch connector PIN 3
PIN 3 SPLICE into headlight switch connector PIN 1

KUFATEC PREWIRED LOOM.....MOST OEM LOOK - Less splicing!
CONNECT ‘REPAIR’ WIRE INTO REAR OF FUSEBOX (middle block - bottom) then fit 5amp fuse.
CONNECT EARTH LEAD (O-Ring) to Earth next to fuse box
TAP REMAINING WIRE INTO PIN 1 of headlight switch connector (purple/comms lead for bcm)

now connect lightswitch up, reassemble any parts/covers so that your car Looks as it should then....

VCDS - CODE IN YOUR NEW RLSENSOR BY ENABLING IN LONG CODING, THEN ACTIVATE COMING HOME/LEAVING HOME USING FOGS/DIPPED ETC.......THEN YOU CAN CONFIGURE IN YOUR MMI.

NOW YOU HAVE AUTO LIGHTS, WIPERS AND CH/LH

ENJOY........SORRY FOR THE HUGE READ - I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS EVEN READS UNDERSTANDABLE - BUT HOPE THIS HELPS, EVEN IF ONLY SLIGHTLY LOL.

Hi friend, could you look last post in this topic, realy need your help 😉

1 - 14 of 14 Posts