Discussion Starter #1
All,

Please help me out.

Order Entry: 1/4/08
Release to Manufacture: 4/14/08
Release for Production: 5/16/08
Factory Inspected: 6/14/08
Departure Port Arrived: 6/17/08

Ship loaded: pending :eek: ETA was 8/6 and it's still not on the boat!

I have talked to the manager at my dealer and the feedback I get now is that it may have been hailed on and .......that's pretty much it. The dealer thinks it may have gone back to the factory or somewhere to be repaired if it did get damaged.

At this point, in my line of work, someone would be going to the source either by plane or something to figure out what is going on.

My dealer seems to be in the dark. I like the manager and haven't lost it, however, I feel like I'm getting the run-around.

Do you guys have any ideas for me?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Calling it an Austin A5 is one way to lower the value overnight!

The hail storm was a genuine event and the timescale fits. Over 30,000 cars were affected by it.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Calling it an Austin A5 is one way to lower the value overnight!
I think LED Stan left the zero off the end.

He really meant the Austin A50 :) - one of which (in immaculate condition) I happened to see whilst at a small classic car show at a friend's pub near Rotherham (UK) a couple of weeks back.

Sorry LED Stan, this isn't easing your pain, but it should cause a giggle or two amongst us older Brits as the car in the picture dates from 1954. Austin was a now defunct British car maker that was absorbed into British Leyland - itself now also defunct.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ship loaded: pending ETA was 8/6 and it's still not on the boat!

Any feedback from someone who got the same story and finally got their car?

·
Registered
341 Posts
The "word" from AOA to the dealer was that my S5, and the other cars destined for my dealer, were not impacted by the hail (pun intended).

However, no one can explain why the car is in port for almost 3 months.
I can only assume the storm was at fault.

The AOA and dealer line last week was that since Europe goes on holiday for the month of August, that is now the culprit for the delays.

Open question..... if the car was damaged by the hail, what can I look forward to?
-a factory repaint job. Nothing I am interested in taking possession of

-repair of one or two dents, I guess I am OK with that to a degree. I had paint-less dent repair done on my current car about 6 months ago and it worked out in the short term. No long term effects are evident yet.

-large scale repair across the car. I am not OK with that. I feel that would effect the long term integrity of the factor paint and the sheet metal.

-what obligation does Audi have in revealing any repairs?

We all need more firm information.
The silence from Audi AG and Audi of America is stunning.
I have no choice but to start looking at other cars now.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The AOA and dealer line last week was that since Europe goes on holiday for the month of August, that is now the culprit for the delays.
Rubbish. My wife's new A3 was built at the start of August and will be with us in 2 weeks time.

I think you are being fobbed off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same story here

My S5 ws built at the end of June, and was just loaded onto the ship bound for Houston last week. That's about a 6-week delay at the port. My dealer had the Audi Regional Manager call me two weeks ago, and what he said was:

1. My car was not at the port at the time of the hail storm.
2. The factory had decided to pull back all the cars that were at the port at the time of the storm to the factory for insection. Obviously very time consuming. There is little info available on the system that the dealers sees because until the car is loaded on the ship it is still under the factory's QA system. So just as if there was a glitch internal to the factory the dealers don't see the details.
3. While the cars that were at the port are being inspected back at the factory, the newer production cars (like mine) were also on hold. Seems that no cars were being shipped out of port until all inspections were complete.
4. This affected all models - not just A5/S5.

Since we're hearing on this board that European custmers have not had inordinate delays in their orders being filled, I would guess that the issue at the port only affected cars being shipped by sea freight. But it seesm now that the bottleneck may be clearing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Same thing

Same sad story here. My car was at the port when the storm hit, and has been taken back to the factory for inspection and possible resolution. No way to tell if there was any damage, but the date that it is supposed to get on the boat has slipped several times. It is now scheduled to get on board on 8/21, so I will call again in a few days. Interesting to note that there were 3 S5s that were delivered to the dealer in the past several weeks, and when I know I was the first allocation for 2009 model, it makes me wonder what really happened to my car.

I was told at one point that there were 250 Audis destined for the southern region of the US at the port when the storm hit. Having had 2 cars in the past 3 years get major hail damage of at least $6K per car, I am hoping that nothing happened to my S5...

For now I am still living vicariously through all of those on this board that have received their cars, burned through all of the gears in a spirited fashion, and taken pictures of their babies and all of the mods. :eek::(:eek::(

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am of the mind set that the Austin dealer prefers to only deal with those people interested in a S5. While they were willing to work with me in ordering a A5, they seemingly refused to go out of their way to find a A5.

After some searching on my part I did finally find a A5 that met my requirements, I showed up at Roger Beasley and was given a rather cold greeting. Almost rude from the folks I was working with.

Just my impressions of them. Service wise they are spot on; which I am grateful for!

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My A5 story is almost indentical to 09_Phantom. I also bought my A5 from the Roger Beasley dealer in Austin. I have been told by my sales rep that the Roger Beasley cars were not affected, but we will not have the list of VINs impacted until next week (Aug 25). I have been tracking my car along the way, and it was factory inspected 3 days before the storm, and arrived at a port the day before the storm. My car is now on the water, and the factory inspected date was revised to last week. That tells me it went back to the factory of inspection and possible repair. The new arrival date at the dealer is 9/1.

My question is should I accept the car if it has confirmed hail damage and repair? My first thought is yes, because I trust the Audi's high standards for factory re-work.

My second question is what type of discount can I negotiate to cover the depreciation caused by the hail damage. I still have not negotiated a final buy price, but prior to the hail issue I was prepared to pay full MSRP. Now I am not so sure, but I am not sure I am in a strong position to negotiate. Even with th ehail damage repaired, they may be able to sell that car at full MSRP within a week.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bummer

My ship load date is now 4 September...they have said officially that no cars bound for the US had to be repainted, so I am guessing that the remedy was paintless dent repair if needed. I asked if there would be a vehicle damage report to look over what they had fixed, but I will probably get more of a general damage disclosure.:(

I know Audi has exacting standards and I won't be getting a Phantom Black golf ball, but it still makes me wonder what the heck happened to my car.

One of the questions I have (since I have never seen such a goofy delay:confused:) is what the disclosure of hail damage after manufacture but before delivery will do to things like insurance and depreciation. I have waited this long, so I am not going to back out now, but I want to be prepared when it finally does arrive. It seems like there is some new twist every week, so it is almosts comical at this point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another story of slipped load dates. Mine originally was to be on ship 6/25, at dealer 7/14, but that got pulled due to hail. Second set of dates was onboard 8/11, to dealer week of 9/1. I checked 8/25 and got back that the new onboard is 8/29 and to dealer "third week in September". No reason given for added delay. I called to get information, VIN disclosure etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Further info on 3% MSRP

Audi is willing to provide a 3% discount off of MSRP if your vehicle was impacted by the hail. There is a posting from a dealer on Audiworld http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/36972.phtml
Read that post as well. Does anyone know more about it? What are the terms? Is Audi AG or AoA making the dealer whole, or is it out of the dealer's pocket? Does your car have to have been damaged or will it be done for goodwill/brand loyalty, etc?

Inquiring minds want to know...:confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Todd and Phantom; I have the same concerns. My sales called and confirmed mine went back. His understanding (which differs from posts here and other forums,FWIW) is that there was inspection at the port and that cars that needed correction were returned to factory for work, those that didn't, shipped. So IF it went back it HAD BEEN damaged. He said the disclosure list of damaged cars is a list of VINs that went back for correction but does not list specific damage to/repairs done to individual cars, only that the cars will be right, and Audi warrants them. That is consistent with the post from the dealer on Audiworld.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Can we get a check-in from everyone with a near-term ship load date and see how Audi is doing on delivery?
My current ship load date is 8/29. I hope to hear some good news on Friday about mine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Casey80 - I was told that the damage on US bound cars was repaired with the paintless dent repair, so damage was probably minor. No panels had to be replaced and no repainting was necessary, but it sure is taking a long time.

A5inReston - my ship load date is still showing 9/4, so at least it is consistent with what they said last week. Hopefully you will have something to celebrate tomorrow!:D:D

I am receiving the marketing allowance, so at least there is some comensation for the pain and suffering of waiting so long and seeing all of the nice A5/S5s delivered and pictured on this forum! It is tough seeing all of the pictures day after day and knowing that my car has been completed since June...but also great to see that all of you are enjoying your cars!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Check-in

Can we get a check-in from everyone with a near-term ship load date and see how Audi is doing on delivery?
My current ship load date is 8/29. I hope to hear some good news on Friday about mine.

My dealer still says 9/4 ship load (eta). At least this week it didn't push. Did yours make it on the boat?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts