Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the car 4 days and had to drop it off at the dealership this evening to resolve an issue with the audio system. They are going to check with Audi tomorrow to troubleshoot the issue.

Thought I would post here and check if someone else had experienced a similar problem... Was driving home today when the front speakers suddenly "died" and then came back and right around when the back speakers "died". Eventually all speakers stopped working and would start working all of a sudden. Then, the front speakers started emitting a "static" sound along with the occasional crackle / pop even when the audio system was turned off. I called the tech department right away and put the phone next to the speaker so the guy could hear it for himself.

Once I got to the dealership, the system was running just fine but upon checking the computer log they saw that each of the four speakers (2 front / 2 back) had registered a fault. They don't have a TSB from Audi on the issue and will check with them first thing tomorrow.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any ideas on what might be going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Haven't had the speakers die but the static/crackle I get all the time when it's cold. Comes from the speakers and can be really loud and thats even with the volume muted or the cars ignition turned off. Goes on for 5-10 mins and then just disappears, only happens when I get in the car though, never appears while driving.
No idea what it is, going to have to call the dealer I think :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Funnily enough, i've had something similair as I've just had mine in for the Intelligent Key door sensors to be replaced!!!

As part of this, they had a recall for the ECU on the Bang & Oulfsen system, which they had to replace.

The day after, when starting the car first thing in the morning (slightly frozen) I had no sound at all from any speaker with the same for the Voice recognition System, Sat Nav etc. but when I started the car later in the day it was all working again!!!

Working away from home, I haven't used the car since but phoned the dealer who want it back in on Saturday to check the connections.

A mate who's the service manager for BMW says they have issues with some of their audio systems in freezing weather as theirs are in the boot.

Will let you have an update at the weekend if they come up with anything

·
Registered
49 Posts
Funny that

I was driving along this morning, suddenly a high pitched noise came from all speakers then a pop (like the subwoofer exploded) and suddenly all the MMI went off. No music, no sat nav, screen all blank, no nothing. I turned of engine and turned back on to see if that would reset it but still nothing. :confused:

Taking it to Audi later to see what it is. Will keep u guys informed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just told that the amp in the trunk that controls sound to all the speakers was faulty and new one is being ordered. That's what I figured the issue was... not sure if the cold weather was the reason or whether the amp itself was a lemon.

Will keep you guys posted on whether the fix works.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Went to set of to Audi dealership and it all worked fine so rang them and i will be taking it in two weeks to get some sort of update that is due ????????

I wonder why it all went off in the 1st place and now it perfectly fine????

·
Registered
132 Posts
ECU Update / Sensor issue

Funnily enough, i've had something similair as I've just had mine in for the Intelligent Key door sensors to be replaced!!!

As part of this, they had a recall for the ECU on the Bang & Oulfsen system, which they had to replace.

The day after, when starting the car first thing in the morning (slightly frozen) I had no sound at all from any speaker with the same for the Voice recognition System, Sat Nav etc. but when I started the car later in the day it was all working again!!!

Working away from home, I haven't used the car since but phoned the dealer who want it back in on Saturday to check the connections.

A mate who's the service manager for BMW says they have issues with some of their audio systems in freezing weather as theirs are in the boot.

Will let you have an update at the weekend if they come up with anything
Can you outline the problem with the sensors - mine is occasionally strange.
Also the B&O update - I have the same but dealer has not mentioned any update needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Faulty Amp Update

So the tech guys found out that the reason the amp bugged out was because it got WET. Now you may ask, how the hell can that happen. Turns out, quite easily. See after a heavy rain, a substantial amount of water tends to settle on the finely contoured trunk of the A5 / S5. When the trunk is opened, theoretically the water should fall onto the rear window, then into the channel, and flow down the sides. But the engineers at Audi decided that the trunk of the A5 / S5 should not just release when the button on the key is pushed... rather the trunk should go into the fully open position at a fairly quick pace.

I quite like the way the trunk lid works but the speed of the opening results in the following... the settled water instead of gently flowing onto the rear window and then to the sides just splashes onto the window and gets EVERYWHERE including (at times) into the substantial gap reserved for the trunk support arm as shown in the attached photo. And if water was to fall through said gap, the first thing it hits is the freakin' AMP.

This is the explanation given to me by the dealership and if it is true (seems like it is based on my poking around), this is a pretty major oversight by Audi. The dealership is going to let Audi know and ask them to come with a solution that can be retrofit to existing models. Anyone else have a similar experience? Anyone else find their audio system malfunctioning after some heavy rain?

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not sure about others having damage caused by rain, but a number of people had amp failures after getting the windows tinted. Seems like it's too easy for water to find its way into that compartment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your story seems to jive with all the reports on this forum about member's amps and nav systems getting blown out when they have their windows tinted. It's recommended that the driver's side trunk compartment be stuffed with towels before having tinting done to prevent damage to those components. Maybe it's worth it to pre-emptively keep something in there to soak up any liquids until Audi comes up with a solution.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is what i thought as it was snowing on the day my MMi stopped working and i think some snow melted and got through the gap after i had opened the boot/trunk. When i looked at it when it blew i could see water droplets on the amp. But that doesnt explain why it is working fine now:confused:

Edited to say: Its not working fine as the front left and right speakers are not working...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Passing

There have been a number of threads on here about it but basically the sensors in the handles for the Intelligent key stop working so you have to actually 'blip' the key to get in, dealers should replace them under warranty!

As for the B&O update they mentioned this when the were fixing the above, something to do with the Digital Sound Processor and they had to replace it. Can't give you anymore technical info on that I'm afraid !!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
thanks

Passing

There have been a number of threads on here about it but basically the sensors in the handles for the Intelligent key stop working so you have to actually 'blip' the key to get in, dealers should replace them under warranty!

As for the B&O update they mentioned this when the were fixing the above, something to do with the Digital Sound Processor and they had to replace it. Can't give you anymore technical info on that I'm afraid !!!
Thanks for the tips - I wondered because my car sometimes won't lock when I touch the sensor and I was beginning to wonder. Unblocking is fine though there is a noticeable delay whenI put my hand past the handle

On the B&O prevention better than cure - my system seems to be working fine and at leats that part got the wifes approval even if the car did not 100%

·
Registered
22 Posts
Audio System Issue - Update

Right then!

Having had the recall for the ECU for the B&O system forced upon, my intermittent fault has reoccurred where there is no audio from anything connected to the MMI system.

Had it in on Saturday where they have decided to replace the Amp again as the one they fitted as part of the 'ECU Recall' has failed. This will be the third one installed.

But having got the car home, it know won't recognise my I-pod connected through the AMI!!!!!!:mad:

I think my borrowing of their R8 while my S5 is in may be getting closer!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Car went in this morning to get looked at (see previous msgs).

It is currently being fitted with a new amp, they didnt say what was wrong with old one tho.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I keep getting a crackling noise out of one speaker on my B&O sound system too. I hardly ever turn it on (wasn't high on my list for desired options) but I still get the noise even with the sound system off. It is sporadic and I usually can't hear it with the radio on. My car is garaged at night so I don't think being cold has anything to do with it but I do live in Alaska so it see's it's fair share of snow cold.

I'm dropping my A5 off at the dealer in a week for the sound system, we'll see what he says. I'll print off the technical service bulletin and leave it in the car so I won't even have to fight that battle, at least I can ask about the recalls and updates for the sound system. I'm interested to see what he says because there seems to be a fair share of shotty dealerships out there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update: I listened very careful and it doesn't sound like it's coming from the speakers. I only get the noise above 55mph and in the morning, but the car is colder when I leave work in the afternoon then leaving the heated garage in the morning. It sounds like pine needles in the air vent but only above 55mph any ideas?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Funny this thread was started.

Today I was driving & all of a sudden the radio turned off.
Screen read "No Radio Installed".
I pushed the Nav. button & screen read "No Nav Installed".

I pulled over & played with various buttons & turning power on & off few times.
I disconnected my "Ipod" afraid it would get damaged.

I drove right to the dealer & of course on way the radio came back on & all is normal.
I get to serrvice & told not sure what caused it but good chance my "Radar Detector"
being plugged into the Cigarette lighter might have something to do with it? YA Right!

Love way dealers always try to put the blame on customer so they won't pay to fix it.

Anyone have any ideas what's up and should I be concern it will happan again?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.