Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

While driving in a blizzard the other day, the car beeped and notified me that audi side assist has malfunctioned due to something blocking the sensor. In fact it also happened today which was clear no snow or nothing.

Now i check the sensors on the side of the mirrors and nothing was there. No snow or Ice.

If anyone else has had this happen please chime in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think I read that the sensors are actually the parking radar sensors in the rear bumper, and are not actually housed within the mirrors. Maybe you had some snow/ice gunked up behind the wheels and frozen over the sensors? Also, some folks have experienced some (temporary) malfunction of the system during heavy rainstorms, where operation was restored once the weather improved.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I currently have a "fault" in my side assist system, so it won't even function. I know it's not the issue you're encountering, but I thought I'd share my current side assist experience.

·
Registered
415 Posts
No, it won't need attention if all it said was that the sensor was blocked. If you get that in a snowstorm, it's undoubtedly because snow has accumulated on the outside corners of the the rear bumper. The radar can't penetrate snow, so it's like putting a blindfold on the sensors. You said it happened when it was clear, too. But there could have still been snow on the bumper. Or even a sufficiently thick accumulation of road dirt and salt could block the sensor.

And, FYI, the owner's manual shows the location of the sensors (page 119 in my book), so you know they're not in the mirrors. And it also explains the meaning of the "sensors blocked" message you saw (page 126 in mine).

There is a message labeled "System fault" (also explained in the owners manual...surprise, surprise) which would mean that the car would need attention, as boomer suggests. But if that's not what you saw, that's not the problem. Just clean off your bumper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.