Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, it's what you've all been waiting for... Just how fast is the S5 and where will it come in the Top Gear Power Lap Times? ...The time is coming to find out.

...except... It's not going to be driven by The Stig. :(

...It's going to be driven by ME!!! :D

July 11th 2009 is the date. I'm spending the day in my S5 driving round as a 'pace-car' for the Mini Owners club, who have hired the track and studio for the day. A pace car is needed, because the track is a fugure of 8, so with minis of all different speeds, the have to be kept 'in a bunch!' There's 4 of us with sports or GT cars doing the pacing all day and at the end of the day, we get the track to ourselves for two hours!!! BRING IT ON!!!!

I promise to get some lap times and video... we can then take off about 5 seconds to work out how fast it would go in the hands of The Stig! ;)

Oh I can't wait! - although it does give me time to save up for some ultr-light alloys, track day tyres and an uprated sway-bar. ;)

:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
:eek: jealous much :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since we now know who The Stig is ... send a mail and invite him to the event! ;)

Ian, it really sounds like a awsome opportunity you got there, enjoy the race and have lots of fun!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Nice one Ian, sounds like fun, think you should get a downpipe aswell, just so it shouts over the top of those screaming charged 1.6's.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's awesome mate! Congrats.

There better be pictures, or there'll be trouble! :D
...Oh there'll be pictures alright... the organiser used to be a professional photographer and his missus has a degree in photography or something!

...Will probably splash out on a new HD vieo camera and car mount too so I get some memorable HD Video footage of me spinning across the grass after the follow-through (aptly named I understand) and then losing it at Gambon!!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Sounds awesome. Would love to do that. Would be fun to get the car kitted up with the pace car livery... vinyls, stickers, strobes ETC!! If any pace cars pull out, give'z a shout! :p

If you're interested in getting an HD video made from this, there's a guy (rikki), who'se pretty shit hot when it comes to video production on a forum i'm a member of. Three of us on there have got HD cameras, if you're interested I could let him know ??

Here's some of his videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/user/Strathycruise?blend=1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cool Ian - I'm jealous mate!! Here's something to whet the appetite - some Safety/Control car photos I took at last September's Le Mans Series event at Silverstone when the S5 Safety car was used quite a lot. Sorry about the picture quality - had to enlarge some of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Try not fuck up on Gambon lol. Nah but really that's awesome, I wish I could go too, good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, it's what you've all been waiting for... Just how fast is the S5 and where will it come in the Top Gear Power Lap Times? ...The time is coming to find out.

...except... It's not going to be driven by The Stig. :(

...It's going to be driven by ME!!! :D

July 11th 2009 is the date. I'm spending the day in my S5 driving round as a 'pace-car' for the Mini Owners club, who have hired the track and studio for the day. A pace car is needed, because the track is a fugure of 8, so with minis of all different speeds, the have to be kept 'in a bunch!' There's 4 of us with sports or GT cars doing the pacing all day and at the end of the day, we get the track to ourselves for two hours!!! BRING IT ON!!!!

I promise to get some lap times and video... we can then take off about 5 seconds to work out how fast it would go in the hands of The Stig! ;)

Oh I can't wait! - although it does give me time to save up for some ultr-light alloys, track day tyres and an uprated sway-bar. ;)

:D:D:D:D:D

I am also going to be getting a chance to drive on the Top Gear track this summer. Not sure the exact date yet but am already excited. Very tempted to take the F50 for this outing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ian :2thumbsup: and good luck, the only question I have though is where did you come up with the figure of you being only 5 seconds off the Stigs time :)

You can tell me to shove it, i'm just jealous. Hugely so in fact.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ian :2thumbsup: and good luck, the only question I have though is where did you come up with the figure of you being only 5 seconds off the Stigs time :)

You can tell me to shove it, i'm just jealous. Hugely so in fact.
Cheeky git!

...actually, I got the idea from the star in a reasonably prices car vs the F1 champions times in the liana.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Cheeky, who me? Ok i'll take that. As for the times I guess thats fair. Still jealous though.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheeky, who me? Ok i'll take that. As for the times I guess thats fair. Still jealous though.
Well I think I should be the one to be jealous... You live in the land of plenty and have a world-class rugby team. Britain has gone down the creek without a paddle and our rugby team stinks. :thumbsdown: Much sadness.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Well I think I should be the one to be jealous... You live in the land of plenty and have a world-class rugby team. Britain has gone down the creek without a paddle and our rugby team stinks. :thumbsdown: Much sadness.
In steps Scotland :running: only thing we are good at is this..........

:cheers:

·
Registered
636 Posts
In steps Scotland :running: only thing we are good at is this..........

:cheers:
Don't forget elephant polo. We won the world cup in 2004 & 2005.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts