Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So currently I own a 2010 Audi s5 v8 with 136000km this car has put me through hell and back. I drive this car moderately hard but not all the time but then one day when I did a pull I had the check engine light flash for about 5 seconds then turn off, I pulled over to the side of the road and brought out my obd scanner and it said it had a misfire on cylinder 2. From that point on I noticed the car is significantly louder and also it does tend hesitate when I accelerate hard. Also when i drive it fast the shifting tends to lag sometimes and it’s a rough ride but when I keep the rpms low and drive it like a human it’s totally fine. And once the car warms up the rpms stay at 800 and don’t fluctuate.

I’ve already dumbed 3k in maintenance in about 4 months of owning this car which at 18 years old is a lot with the symptoms I’m getting I think it’s either the injectors or coils. I’m praying it’s the coils because I can easily do it at home, but if it’s the injectors I have to do it at a specialized shop which can cost me about 1000 in parts and maybe another 500 in labour if I’m lucky. My question is if it’s just one misfire and only one injector is not working should I just replace that one or a full swap ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah good luck with this one man, sounds very similar to the issues I’ve been having with my 2012 S5 V8 with 60k miles on it. Started with a misfire about a year ago, I replaced the ignition coils hoping that would solve it. Didn’t have the misfire come back but the car hesitated under acceleration so I took it in to get a carbon cleaning ($800).

After the cleaning the car ran worse… Ended up replacing the spark plugs ($700) and had the dealer do a carbon cleaning ($1,000) after the shop fucked up the first carbon cleaning (see my recent thread for that ordeal).

Car was still running poorly, down on power and runs super rough. Had another misfire so I took it in and they replaced a fuel pump ($1,000). Still runs rough, the dealer thinks it is the injectors and they want $5,000 for that (lol). Getting it done for around $2,000 which includes the revised fuel injectors from Hitachi—I don’t want to replace the injectors with crappy aftermarket injectors and the cheapest I could find the Hitachis for was $160 each at a dealer in Massachusetts.

I’ll be in over $5,000 after the injectors go in.

Honestly this was a bad car for you to buy at 18, you now get to pay to maintain a car that was $70k+ new. I am not really one to speak though—I bought mine 4 years ago when I was 23 but it only had 15k miles. I still think I made a mistake buying it. I recommend you get out of it soon as these cars unfortunately aren’t very reliable.

Reactions: Ronikurdo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aw man that sounds like a pain, my high pressure fuel pump was actually leaking gas and I just left the car sit till a new one came in and swapped it out. So I have replaced that coil on cylinder 2 and checked all the other ones to see if they were good. So car has improved and no check engine light, doesn’t feel as rough but most likely gonna sell it in the summer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts