Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Audi S5 B8 Sportback
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Getting myself ready to do a Mechatronics rebuild and spending lots of time diving in to the heat issues and failures of it, made me wonder why it does not have a dedicated oil cooler.

So my thoughts at the moment:

Transmission:
Change oil flow to dedicated oil cooler from Hel or Setrab to RS5 style right lower grill location
(This will decouple the oil cooling from the front radiator/ heat exchanger)

Engine:
Change oil flow to dedicated oil cooler from Hel or Setrab to RS5 style left lower grill location

Supercharger/ Engine Coolant:
Change OEM radiator/ heat exchanger flow so the coolant can flow extra through the old trans loop

The idea came up that making the oil system separate:
  • Will drop the loads on the front radiator, lowering the supercharger cooling temperatures
  • More cooling for the DL501 to make it more reliable
  • Better engine cooling
  • Less risk of mixing coolant with engine oil

Has anyone had any experience on this mods or thoughts to swap out.
(Typing this out makes me feel like the Mad Scientist they give at work might be true)

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Haha well written Elmo you mad scientist you!!!! ALL cooling is good mate. I am a fan of motorbikes and I have had several Yamaha R1 road bikes and also one R1 race bike. The difference was stunning. The front of the race bike was basically ALL radiator so that bike would run at 78/80 degrees whatever speed you ran, whereas the road bikes would run at 90/95 plus degrees. I read that every 10 degrees lower gives you 20% extra power from the same engine. Of course the race bike had no fan so as soon as you stop the bike you MUST switch off straight away......

·
Registered
2011 Audi S5 B8 Sportback
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice haha! I will try to find out how to route all the lines and parts.

Reactions: SimonRoma
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.