Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I hope the above question does not seem overly stupid.

Basically, I am trading my old Carrera Cab (996) in soon as its starting to fall to bits (2000yr).

I am considering all of the above cars, and i wanted to know what peoples thoughts were on them.

Whilst i expect some bias comments (being an Audi owners forum!), I wanted your thoughts on performance vs money.

I have not yet driven the S5, but i love what it represents in terms of being a performance but medium sized car and i have always liked Audi. I would naturally expect the Turbo to out perform the Audi and would also expect the C4S to do the same.

Below are the prices that I am looking at:

Audi (prob from new) £43,000
C4S £54,000 (10k on clock)
Turbo £60,000 (30k on clock).

Given the huge difference in price, are the Porsches that much better?

Given some of the comments on this web, i would probably look to raise the performance levels of the S5 with APS.

Your comments are most appreciated.

I also have three other questions:

1. I pasted the above Audi description from their used car details, however, when creating my own new car I can not see the 'FSI' bit anywhere.... any ideas?

2. If I am planning to upgrade the car through APS, are there items (if buying new) that i should not include as they are likely to become redundant when increasing the performance?

3. Is it worth considering 'Tip' gear change?

Regards

Lee

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi,

I hope the above question does not seem overly stupid.

Basically, I am trading my old Carrera Cab (996) in soon as its starting to fall to bits (2000yr).

I am considering all of the above cars, and i wanted to know what peoples thoughts were on them.

Whilst i expect some bias comments (being an Audi owners forum!), I wanted your thoughts on performance vs money.

I have not yet driven the S5, but i love what it represents in terms of being a performance but medium sized car and i have always liked Audi. I would naturally expect the Turbo to out perform the Audi and would also expect the C4S to do the same.

Below are the prices that I am looking at:

Audi (prob from new) £43,000
C4S £54,000 (10k on clock)
Turbo £60,000 (30k on clock).

Given the huge difference in price, are the Porsches that much better?

Given some of the comments on this web, i would probably look to raise the performance levels of the S5 with APS.

Your comments are most appreciated.

I also have three other questions:

1. I pasted the above Audi description from their used car details, however, when creating my own new car I can not see the 'FSI' bit anywhere.... any ideas?

2. If I am planning to upgrade the car through APS, are there items (if buying new) that i should not include as they are likely to become redundant when increasing the performance?

3. Is it worth considering 'Tip' gear change?

Regards

Lee
I have an S5 Tip, a modified 996 Turbo and a 997 GT3 and they are very different cars.
The S5 is a great car but it's a GT car not a sports car. It handles well considering the weight distribution is not optimal (the entire motor is in front of the front axle). You feel the weight of the car in that you can't throw it around like you can the Porsche, it isn't nimble. It sounds like I don't like it but quite the opposite is true, it's a wonderful car. It's a fabulous year round, all weather, high performance, luxurious, very comfortable, beautiful GT cruiser. I had an A8 and the seats in the S5 are actually more comfortable. The 996 Turbo is a high performance sports car which is much faster and handles much better than the S5 but it is not as comfortable or as luxurious and the back seat is basically useless on the Porsche. Can't comment on the C4S. A friend has a 997 S cab. and it's nice but for year round use here in New York I would rather have the S5.
If your priority is handling then get the Porsche but if you want the plus's I mentioned above and your willing to give up some handling capabilities then get the S5.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'd agree with the above - they are very different cars and impossible to compare on a completely even field.. have you driven the S5 yet? You may want to give that a whirl and compare with your Porsche experience..

To answer your #1 - the S5 only gets one engine, the 4.2l FSI V8, it just probably doesn't include all those details on the page, but rest assured that's the one you'll get..

·
Registered
643 Posts
Agree with BG624. S5 [arguably] wins in style and comfort, while delivering a still-very-engaging drive. plus the V8 is the best sound of the three... personally speaking, of course.

If you're looking for a more sports car ride though, go with either Porsche.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My obvious choice would be the Audi. If you're looking for pure performance, sure, go with the turbo, but my only objections to the turbo specifically is that it is an old model. My S5 is quite satisfactory for any performance needs and really, I have no idea why this car isn't more expensive. Its obvious advantages over any Porsche are its luxury features and the beauty of the car itself. Also, you can't beat the sound of the V8's exhausts. The Porsche's in line sixes to me just don't sound good enough.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Easy

Wouldn't buy the 996, it's really the least sole-full Porsche (IMHO) in the last three decades (I like the 993 best then the 997 next). If you want a good cruiser that is plush, has great high tech and good looks then the S5 is the one. If you want a sports car (and this is your only fun car) that has all-season capability then the 997 C4S is then answer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

Hi all,

firstly thanks for all the prompt replies..... and honest ones. I was expectinhg some flaming, but the responses are great.

Hopefully i will be taking an S5 for a drive over the next week so i will get to feel what its about.

currently owning a Porsche, I am tempted to stay with them as their performance is amazing, but its an extra £10,000 - £15,000 which isnt a problem, i just want something that represents great value for money as i plan on getting the R8 once it drops in price.

Decisions... Decisions.......

Is anyone able to help on questions 2 and 3?

thanks

Lee

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hi LAM,

to answer 2) I would think twice about 'drive select' if it's available now, as IF you plan to upgrade the suspension to coilovers, I expect that this system will become redundant. The only other option would be the 20" wheels... If you are planning to get a set of lightweight competition wheels, then stick with the stock 19" at purchase... obviously!

That's it... although a quick call to Ed at APS would answer this question more precisely!

Don't know about the Tip... there's only a few reviews out. However, having driven one in an older A6, if you want the effortless comfort of an auto with a bit more control for spirited driving then yes. If you want performance go with the manual as it's slightly quicker and more precise... Although a few people have complained about the clutch, so I suggest you see how the test drive goes!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi all,

firstly thanks for all the prompt replies..... and honest ones. I was expectinhg some flaming, but the responses are great.

Hopefully i will be taking an S5 for a drive over the next week so i will get to feel what its about.

currently owning a Porsche, I am tempted to stay with them as their performance is amazing, but its an extra £10,000 - £15,000 which isnt a problem, i just want something that represents great value for money as i plan on getting the R8 once it drops in price.

Decisions... Decisions.......

Is anyone able to help on questions 2 and 3?

thanks

Lee
The Tip. is nice but it's a torque converter auto. so if your going to modify it and/or track it your much better off with the manual. I bought the Tip. because the S5 is my everyday driver for rain, shine, snow, traffic, etc.

I assume you know that if you modify the engine your warranty is history.
I modified my 996 Turbo after the warranty period.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Tip. is nice but it's a torque converter auto. so if your going to modify it and/or track it your much better off with the manual. I bought the Tip. because the S5 is my everyday driver for rain, shine, snow, traffic, etc.

I did not know that !!!!

Wow.... kinda makes sense though. So all those people that have modified their new S5's have now lost their warranties?

Thats a big call to make!

Thanks for the heads up, that now makes a difference to what I might get as my plan to was swap to an R8 in two years, so if i buy a new one, then it will factory performance (which is probably fine to be honest !) throughoutmy ownership?

Lee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

BG - do you know what upgrades are available that do not void the warranty? is the warranty void on that particular part ie exhaust or does changing anything void it?

thanks

Lee

·
Registered
373 Posts
I checked with my local Audi dealer about upgrades to my S5 and he said if i brought car in for repair and it was proven to be a fault caused by the upgrade the warranty for that particular repair would be void.
I guess that means i would have to pay the bill or contest it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I checked with my local Audi dealer about upgrades to my S5 and he said if i brought car in for repair and it was proven to be a fault caused by the upgrade the warranty for that particular repair would be void.
I guess that means i would have to pay the bill or contest it.
You don't want to fight the Audi of America legal dept.
Legally they would have to prove that the change you made caused the problem however by the time you prove your point legally many years will have gone by and you will have spent a great deal of money not to mention that you will have paid to fix your car.
A cat back exhaust would probably be ok but if you chipped it or added a supercharger your probably screwed.
I'm not saying not to mod. the car just to go into it with your eyes wide open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well.... one of the reasons that i am considering a new car (never bought one before) is because of the warranty. If by upgrading the car I am seriously putting this at risk, then its not a risk i am willing to take.

With any luck I'll be test driving one tomorrow, so i should be able to check out the performance and see how i feel about it.

thanks for all the advice.

Lee

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
well.... one of the reasons that i am considering a new car (never bought one before) is because of the warranty. If by upgrading the car I am seriously putting this at risk, then its not a risk i am willing to take.

With any luck I'll be test driving one tomorrow, so i should be able to check out the performance and see how i feel about it.

thanks for all the advice.

Lee
'
Whilst in theory, warranty around modified parts is void, Realistically, suspension and exhaust should be extremely low risk in the first 3 years (depending on your mileage). So I think it's worth the risk. I agree with you about serious engine mods though.

I bought a new 2.7 bi-turbo A6 to get the that engine... the idea was at 3 years to tune it to 425bhp... However after 3 years, I had to replace the clutch... so put the RS4 one in and lightweight flywheel and never really felt the inspiration to do anything else as I knew that after 3 years I'd want a new car soon. Turned out I waited another 3 years for Audi to relase the S5! This is why I am doing the mods now, to enjoy them before I feel I want to change the car (or need to).

Enjoy shopping and decision making... I know it's a real heart-felt purchase and many hours may be spent agonising. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.