Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

AMI is not listed on the 2009 Canadian Audi Order Guide which I used to spec my MY'09 A5

My salesman cannot give me a definitive answer on whether this is a standard feature (I ordered the B&O) or if it is simply not available in Canada. I'm hoping it is an option at least. I know that AMI is a standalone option from the posted 2009 USA Order Guide.

Does anybody have any information on this? Is there some kind of interface that the car/MMI will have anyways when I hook up my iPod?

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello,

I recently ordered a Canadian 2009 A5 and posed a similar question to my dealer as it was not listed on the 2009 Canadian Order Guide. They said that the AMI was still part of the Navigation package just like the 2008 model, even though it was not listed under the Navigation option inclusions.

For me this was one of the main reasons for ordering the Navigation option. And as far as I know in order to control your iPod through the MMI you need the AMI interface.

It would be great if AMI was standard equipment, or even a standalone option for Canada as many customers will want it and having to order the Navigation for AMI is inconvenient.

So is it standard equipment? The dealer didn't say it was, but I must admit I didn't ask that exact question. It doesn't seem to be standard equipment anywhere else in the world so I'm thinking it isn't.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Finalised my order today. In Europe an auxilliary input is now standard on all A5s. Not sure if this is the same as AMI - think so.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Finalised my order today. In Europe an auxilliary input is now standard on all A5s. Not sure if this is the same as AMI - think so.
AUX-IN (auxilliary input) is most definitely *NOT* the same as AMI.

AUX-IN is (standard 2009 at least in Europe for all radios and navi, you are correct) a simple analog mini-plug input for an audio source located in the center console. There used to be a picture in the thread below but I think the picture has since been taken offline:

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/v26-2009-3101/index.html

On the other hand AMI is a multipurpose music input that allows you to choose between several cables to connect an iPod, USB memory stick, harddrive, mobile phone A2DP music connection via bluetooth etc... (allowing for controlling/changing music from MMI). it also allows you to use an AUX-IN cable, but of course that is not so necessary now that AUX-IN will be standard even without AMI.

AMI pictured here on an A8 (the right-side box in the glove compartment):

Unfortunately I have no information regarding AMI in Canada.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hello,

I recently ordered a Canadian 2009 A5 and posed a similar question to my dealer as it was not listed on the 2009 Canadian Order Guide. They said that the AMI was still part of the Navigation package just like the 2008 model, even though it was not listed under the Navigation option inclusions.

For me this was one of the main reasons for ordering the Navigation option. And as far as I know in order to control your iPod through the MMI you need the AMI interface.

It would be great if AMI was standard equipment, or even a standalone option for Canada as many customers will want it and having to order the Navigation for AMI is inconvenient.

So is it standard equipment? The dealer didn't say it was, but I must admit I didn't ask that exact question. It doesn't seem to be standard equipment anywhere else in the world so I'm thinking it isn't.
In the US (for the '08 models) you had to buy the nav to get the AMI, it is supposed to be offered in the US as a stand alone for '09. So maybe it will be the same as your '08 offering (e.g. available with Nav). :confused:

Hi nike,

Unfortunately, the Aux input is typically a 1/8" jack (as it is known in the US) -- the size of a stereo headphone plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MMI option in Canada

Hi TMack ..

I'm in Vancouver, I received my S5 31 days ago and I ordered the MMI interface as an option. You should be able to get it as an option in Quebec.

Hope that answer your question

Hi everyone,

AMI is not listed on the 2009 Canadian Audi Order Guide which I used to spec my MY'09 A5

My salesman cannot give me a definitive answer on whether this is a standard feature (I ordered the B&O) or if it is simply not available in Canada. I'm hoping it is an option at least. I know that AMI is a standalone option from the posted 2009 USA Order Guide.

Does anybody have any information on this? Is there some kind of interface that the car/MMI will have anyways when I hook up my iPod?

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Baloodawg,

I forgot to mention that I will not be ordering the nav. Is your S5 without nav as well? If so, it sounds like AMI is a standalone option. What was the cost of it?

Thanks,
TMack

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi TMack

This is bad, but I don't know what that option or amy of the other options cost. I just knew what I wanted I ordered it with all of the options. I got all of them except the side assist. I did order mine with Nav, I don't know if the AMI is packaged with it or not. The online configurators should step you through that and show if its an option or not.

Hi Baloodawg,

I forgot to mention that I will not be ordering the nav. Is your S5 without nav as well? If so, it sounds like AMI is a standalone option. What was the cost of it?

Thanks,
TMack

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Audiballin - you da man. That makes me very pleased. I was asking about this just a few days ago at my dealer in Saskatoon and he had no updates. BTW - I had a chance to see and drive the A5 as part of the Mike Weir Audi tour. It was amazing, and I found the power more than adequate. Anyways, thanks for the info.

TMack

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm probably misnaming this. See link below

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstar....html?id=5513ecee-6f19-4a1e-bf64-207ac1d8a832

Mike Weir was in Saskatoon for a charity golf event yesterday "Mike Weir Miracle Golf Drive for Kids". My audi salesguy informed me of this on the weekend and basically stated that audi sponsors Mike Weir, that there were a few audis that were in Saskatoon as part of this event (I saws an A5 tip black on black, a TT roadster 2.0).

The local audi dealership is actually still under construction and so has no stock at all, so not sure if the cars are specifically in Saskatoon to help boost the profile of this fledgling dealership.

I was just cruising the mikeweir.com website and audicanada.ca - no mention of audi as a sponsor of his.

Anyways, sorry for the confusion/getting your hopes up if you're a fan of both

1 - 12 of 12 Posts