Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Audi has made a 496bhp version of its A1 that is faster than the brand’s R8 supercar.

The Audi A1 Clubsport Quattro has been built to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the annual event held for VW Group fans from 1 to 4 June. It gets to 62mph in just 3.7 seconds – faster than the V10 version of the R8 coupe.

The 2.5-litre five-cylinder TFSI engine from the TTRS has been squeezed under the A1’s bonnet, which allows it to get to 124mph in 10.9 seconds, faster than the 11.7 seconds the 1.2-litre A1 takes to get to 62mph.

As well as the massive turbocharged direct injection engine under the bonnet, Audi has also made several alterations to the car’s looks and setup. It gets a matte white paintjob, front wings and side panels, a double wing rear spoiler and set of massive 19-inch alloy wheels.

Given its racing setup, there is no rear seat in the Clubsport Quattro, with the space given over to a large crossbar to stiffen the car’s body and storage slots for a pair of helmets though. The front seats are taken from the Audi R8 GT, while occupants will be held in by red four-point harnesses.

Weight-saving measures are apparent throughout the unique A1, with red loops replacing the door and glovebox handles, while the entertainment system and speakers have all been stripped out bringing the overall weight down to 1,390kg.

Due to its one-off nature, only a couple of Audi-type people will be allowed behind the wheel of this monster creation, but it will be available as an in-game rental in the online racing game Need for Speed World from 1-4 June.

Reported by Fifth Gear: 5FWD - Audi makes A1 that's faster than an R8 by Fifth Gear

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Sounds fantastic... A VW Polo next maybe....Wouldn't want to be a passenger in it. Small short wheelbase cars whilst great for the driver are not so good for the co-pilot!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
It would be even cooler if they kept the exterior as close as possible to the normal A1s. Imagine the q-car credentials of a "1.4 A1" that could burn pretty much everything short of hypercar royalty. I'd even opt to keep the tiny, single exhaust pipe if I could!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be even cooler if they kept the exterior as close as possible to the normal A1s. Imagine the q-car credentials of a "1.4 A1" that could burn pretty much everything short of hypercar royalty. I'd even opt to keep the tiny, single exhaust pipe if I could!
It didn't happen....

·
Registered
185 Posts
haha yeah I figured as much. If they ever do release an RS1 though, I will at least opt for the badge delete.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts