Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered the hold assist option on my car for a couple of reasons:
1) I currently drive a car with DSG and thought hold assist would aid the transition back to a manual gearbox
2) When learning to drive I was always taught to apply the handbrake at traffic lights etc

In an A5 with hold assist switched on, what would happen if you were stopped at traffic lights and someone shunted you from behind?

In a traditional car, the handbrake would prevent your car hitting the car in front if the collision from your rear was low impact. Is it the same with hold assist? Would someone care to try it for me :eek:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
hill hold just applies the handbrake so its no different to manually putting the handbrake on.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The above answers I think answer your question. However, to expand, the handbrake will release when you apply some power with the engine, but not unless this is done. FYI, this also happens with the regular hand-brake (switch), which I didn't realise until I got my car... As a result, I rarely use the assist, because I just pull the handbrake when I stop... However if you are stop-start on a hill, such as on a steep, busy slip-road or T-junction, then it's great... although works best if you stop the car on the brake and not let the car roll to a stop under gravity... which is a habbit of mine! Here, it can be a little slow applying and the car rolls back a few inches and makes a 'creaking sound' from the discs whilst it stops the car!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As ever, a flurry of really useful posts. Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.